Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swimming is Fattening page 3

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The only reason I have stopped swimming is because my skin is sensitive to chlorine. I miss swimming so much. I found it very, very relaxing. And there's something about being in or on or near water that is very primal - the undulation is very soothing on our sensory perception. Just looking at water relaxes me - at least I'm still able to do that.

So, I say enjoy swimming if you can.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Swimming in cold water may make you hungrier than swimming in warm water:
    University of Florida News – Exercise In Cold Water May Increase Appetite, UF Study Finds
    But I wonder if that happens if someone is adapted to burning fat?

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I'm probably not fat adapted in my opinion. I have been in ketosis before, but try not to let my carbs get that low because I get a lot of fatigue and also noticeable BO! I almost feel a bit crazy if I dont have some carb intake!

I also admit that I only want to do low-carb to get thin and that's probably not the best reason...just leads to more female body issues that most of us tend to have.

Thanks for the note on the fins. I dont swim in them the whole time but will do some specific exercises with them. My legs feel like they have more power since using them (with them off) as if I'm kicking more properly now.

I do hate the chlorine on my skin ... and the dry skin/hair. I do sense the relaxation being in and around water--love it!

If you do want to try some other kinds of workouts while swimming, using pull-buoys helps strengthen your arms, and would be a good break for your legs/feet after using the fins. Any store that sells quality swim equipment should have one, and they shouldnt be more than $20. Here is a picture of one:

Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vPWb6dqZ5wU/S-DvsxOZUOI/AAAAAAAAADg/L6m8LSPC7Ak/s1600/454__pull_buoy_753252___1225829020__48363700.jpg

As for the chlorine issues, before you get into the pool, put some conditioner in your hair and leave it in. It will act as a protective barrier for your hair. Doesnt matter if you use solid or spray in, both work well.

As for the dry skin, do you use any moisturizer or lotions after you get out of the pool? If not, I'd wholeheartedly recommend using Lush Cosmetics. They have a product called Full of Grace Serum. It works way better than anything I've ever used, and all their products are made from natural ingredients. Their website also lists what ingredients they use in each product, and you can click on each ingredient to find out more about them. I'm not too sure where you are, but I know they carry it around the world. Hopefully that stuff helps

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    I have just joined a swim squad (swimsmooth) hoping that my form and speed will improve and I will use less energy to get thru the water, thats what normally happens we get very efficient at doing a specific sport/stroke then we stop using as much energy to move the same distance.

To help promote fitness/weight loss I think you need to mix up the workouts, so instead of swimming 1000 yards at a steady pace do 50 meter repeats/intervals at a higher pace Use fins/flippers to do lap work using legs etc.

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    We had our pool changed over from chlorine to salt water a few yrs ago.
    It's a lot easier to maintain, never gets cloudy, easier on your skin and hair.

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    The reason you see many fat people swimming is that swimming is kind to the joints and allows heavy people to excercise. Its ridiculous to turn the argument around and say that swimming makes fat, it gave me a chuckle .

I think swimming is both strength and cardio and a total body workout! Don't worry and enjoy your swim

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am sure somebody already said that, but your in-laws screw up causality. There are a lot of over-weight people in the pool because over-weight people are advised to swim or do aqua size to reduce impact on joints.

Swimming is excercising against resistance in low temperature environment. Aquatic excercise has different principles than normal excercise, and leads to building a different muscle profile, but builds more muscle than land aerobics. Swim sprints are absolutely insane if you use short triathlon fins. In addition, thermic impact of water adds to fat burning like crazy. Top swimmers (*cough* Michael Phelps *cough*, 13,000 cal a day) are known to eat insane quantities of food to keep from losing weight after a few hours a day swimming in the pool.

In short, swim, and don't pay attention to nay sayers.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

CMDiamond is offline Junior Member
    As a whole-body exercise, depletes the glycogen stores in the muscles and liver quickly; usually in around 20 minutes if one has been fasting (morning swim before breakfast, for example). The drain of the glycogen makes the body ravenous for carbs to replenish the 'fuel.' Swimming does not make anyone fat; it tones and strengthens muscle tissue. What makes some swimmers fat, in my opinion, is gorging on high-carb/sugary foods after a swim workout.

Doyl is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Solstice,
    Don't agree with your in laws and want to say swimming is great calorie burning exercise and helps in losing weight. Swimming improves energy level and makes our heart and lungs strong. Swimming strengthen arms. back, shoulders and hips muscles strong and improves muscles strength.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast