Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 95

Thread: Paleo Magazine for Women page 8

  1. #71
    Tribal Rob's Avatar
    Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, in the Englandshire
    Posts
    1,023
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    ....... however, since I'm not a woman I guess that's not good info.
    Really, you're bitching like a woman!




    Right I think that's everyone offended, my work is done, laters ;D
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

  2. #72
    springnr's Avatar
    springnr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Puget Sound / Japan
    Posts
    182
    Take it to email?

    Pretty classy using someone else's site to figure out how to draw customers away/compete.

  3. #73
    Rasputina's Avatar
    Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by springnr View Post
    Take it to email?

    Pretty classy using someone else's site to figure out how to draw customers away/compete.
    We're discussing a hypothetical magazine. I'm pretty sure that those who are planning to actually make one are emailing each other.

  4. #74
    Tribal Rob's Avatar
    Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wakefield, in the Englandshire
    Posts
    1,023
    If I can be serious, I think a female specific take on the ancesteral diet and lifestyle would be fascinating. I have always been convinced there is a evelutionary difference between the sexes that primes us with differnt skills.

    I think that feminism and equal opps have been over all positive, no doubt about that. however equality of treatment and status does not IMO mean we have to be the same. Its a persnal bug bear of mine that poeple in general when presented with different seem to need to choose best. I feel that celebrating the differnt stenghts men and women poseses has become unPC (these differences are of course general rules and don't apply to every individual)

    the classic example being men can't multi task, why? is it because the most sucesfull men where those that could focus exclusivly on the hunt, the women however were tending the home fire and looking after the kids and forraging for food, those that were bad at this kept getting their kids eaten. Or is it just we can't be arsed.

    Also men can't find stuff in cupboards, we just don't seem to be able to see the big picture and have to scan the shelves item by item, I've discussed this with my partner, often after she has said 'it's right there you idiot are you blind or something' She aparantly just looks at the whole thing. On the other hand when we are out and about it is always me that points out interesting wild-life, a buzzard, a stoat, rabbits - I just see them first. Is this hunter vs gather vison?

    I think exporing these differences and looking at how we have evolved to be (as a species and doing it as a personal journey) will help us live in a way that helps us be healthy and happy. I know I feel ill equipped to live in normally society, so I've tried to organise my life in a way that fits what works for me.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

  5. #75
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by springnr View Post
    Pretty classy using someone else's site to figure out how to draw customers away/compete.
    Nobody is "drawing customers away" from or "competing" with Mark. A primal mag from the female POV would be an addition to reading MDA not a replacement.

  6. #76
    RitaRose's Avatar
    RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    If I can be serious, I think a female specific take on the ancesteral diet and lifestyle would be fascinating. I have always been convinced there is a evelutionary difference between the sexes that primes us with differnt skills.

    I think that feminism and equal opps have been over all positive, no doubt about that. however equality of treatment and status does not IMO mean we have to be the same. Its a persnal bug bear of mine that poeple in general when presented with different seem to need to choose best. I feel that celebrating the differnt stenghts men and women poseses has become unPC (these differences are of course general rules and don't apply to every individual)

    the classic example being men can't multi task, why? is it because the most sucesfull men where those that could focus exclusivly on the hunt, the women however were tending the home fire and looking after the kids and forraging for food, those that were bad at this kept getting their kids eaten. Or is it just we can't be arsed.

    Also men can't find stuff in cupboards, we just don't seem to be able to see the big picture and have to scan the shelves item by item, I've discussed this with my partner, often after she has said 'it's right there you idiot are you blind or something' She aparantly just looks at the whole thing. On the other hand when we are out and about it is always me that points out interesting wild-life, a buzzard, a stoat, rabbits - I just see them first. Is this hunter vs gather vison?

    I think exporing these differences and looking at how we have evolved to be (as a species and doing it as a personal journey) will help us live in a way that helps us be healthy and happy. I know I feel ill equipped to live in normally society, so I've tried to organise my life in a way that fits what works for me.
    I think I love you, Tribal Rob!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

  7. #77
    Metric's Avatar
    Metric is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    813
    I subscribe to Paleo Magazine, but I would be equally interested in this!!! So long as it's filled with a bunch of stuff listed above and not only geared towards a "mother" perspective. Some info on being a primal parent, sure, I get it, but not the entire magazine. Recipes, workouts, before/after stories of real women, etc. Definitely would be interested. I'd be up for helping too.

  8. #78
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    I subscribe to Paleo Magazine, but I would be equally interested in this!!! So long as it's filled with a bunch of stuff listed above and not only geared towards a "mother" perspective. Some info on being a primal parent, sure, I get it, but not the entire magazine. Recipes, workouts, before/after stories of real women, etc. Definitely would be interested. I'd be up for helping too.
    Good point.

  9. #79
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Alright, so let's turn this hypothetical discussion a bit forward.
    1. Who would be interested in a community blog that acts as a Magazine (weekly) or News Blog with many editorials? (like i09)
    2. Decide on domain function / hosting service.
    3. Format & layout; this includes color schemes.
    a. If it is a magazine, layout example is: Front Page -> Table of Contents -> ??? --> ??? --> ??? --> End
    b. if it is more like a news blog, then skip this step and focus more on displaying posts smartly.

    4. Who will write what? It should be based off experiences. Example, Paleobird and Sbhikes write about outdoors more, rasputina about natural beauty, Sakura & eyeofround about female physical fitness, so on and so forth.
    5. What will they write? Content is king. Plan for at least 3 months of solid content if doing news-esque style, 6 months if magazine style.
    6. Reader submitted editorials & questions?

    7. Just for Kenn - Weekly male eye-candy, must be men who follow the primal lifestyle. Kenn better submit his picture

    8. Collaboration must be done; if we are doing this blog style, a thread on this forum may work just nicely. If the administration panels on the blog format have collaboration features, it could be done there instead.

    9. Decide eventually if you want ads or not.




    Any other ideas?
    I wouldn't know a domain function from a hosting service from a hole in the ground. Total computer luddite. I would be willing to contribute content however. I could do a travel column with a serialized look at some of the places I've been with maybe advice on how to stay Primal while away from home.

    Primal eye candy. Hellz yeah!

  10. #80
    DashFire's Avatar
    DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    256
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes. I'm a dude. So I suppose feel free to ignore whatever I'm saying here...

    But, I support this wholeheartedly. Will admit I skimmed the thread (too much noise), but noticed and appreciate Sihana and Kenn putting some organizational perspective on things, and while I disagree with Tribal Rob's generalizations of men, I concur that a women's focused publication would be fascinating and is much needed. Professionally I work on digital media strategy and have worked with digital publishing companies (though not magazines) that have niche blog sites with over half million monthly visitors, so I am happy to enter the fray and assist (if desired). A few initial thoughts...

    - As someone already mentioned, the blog route is an option, and probably a necessity regardless of what other format the publication takes.

    - Start-up cost could be anything from <100 (for basic blog style, or self-published PDF) to still <1000 (for digital magazine style using something like issuu pro, or adobe digital publishing suite, or other magazine app software - for tablets).

    - There are more than enough women that are doing, attempting, or curious about paleo/primal to likely make this a viable niche (though viability is a rather complex, multi-faceted thing, but that's my initial perspective). Now whether that's an actual mag, a digital mag, or just a solid collaborative blog, there's a lot of questions there.

    - Collaboration can be an amazing thing, but it can also result in utter crap. The best collaborative efforts have a strong leader, with a clear vision, who isn't compromising, but rather laying out their idea and asking people to get on board if it sparks something in them. Do that - hell, even crowdsource it! But don't let this happen by committee or compromise or the end product will likely suck.

    I'm happy to discuss more, so someone message me if there are discussions of actually moving this beyond hypothetical.
    Last edited by DashFire; 07-04-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

    I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •