Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo Magazine for Women page 7

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    As I'm leafing through my "Shape" magazine, I started thinking about how nice it would be to have a paleo magazine for women. Most female fitness and healthy lifestyle mags are great for workout ideas, but suck in the food/nutrition department. I'd like a paleo mag for women that is not only tailored to women's workouts, but focuses also on paleo nutrition, female health concerns, mental and spiritual health, as well as reviews on paleo resources and inspirational female paleo role models. I wonder how much it would cost to start up an online mag like this?
    That would be a nice idea . . . maybe a blog to start.

Though even just a primal/paleo friendly sidebar in existing magazines would be nice, since the demographic is small. Like in Natural Health or Paleo Magazine - even Self or some of the bigger names.

It could cover primal-friendly hygiene for women (like organic make-up products, Natural Health already does this), parenting (such as dealing with in-laws who don't support your food choices), women's health and fitness, book reviews, etc.

If anyone wanted to seriously start one I'd be happy to be a contributing writer! I don't have the time to invest in editing such a thing (not for lack of interest though) but I do love to write and would love to contribute to a blog/website for primal women.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I'm not at a point in my life where I feel I could start an online magazine, but I'd certain love it if someone took these ideas and made them a reality I could help contribute ideas for features!

Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Then start as an online blog, as suggested. There are some WP themes that can be made to look like an online newspaper, but just done with blog posts.

www.grokelle.com would direct to your WP blog, and whenever you decide to make it an actual magazine, then you can point it to your new address and keep it as Grokelle.
    I'm kind of a hot mess right now, but there are plenty of smart grokelles on here who I hope will collaborate and start something cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    I support this idea, with the caveat that body image issues get tackled. Chasing six-pack abs is particularly dangerous for women, and if I had a nickel for every "primal isn't working" thread started by a female with a perfectly healthy body-fat %, I would have at least 7 trillion nickels.
    I agree 1 billion%

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Ah, lambchop, where have you been? This is not an open forum. Well, it is an open forum if you happen to post a thread called something like, "A Manly Thread for Men to Discuss Manly Things" Then everyone gets to participate.

If you are a woman and post an opening message that says, which in no way says you only want women's opinions you obviously only want women's opinions and all men should go DIAF.

There is a decided "women only" vibe from many posters/threads around here lately, which I find disappointing, especially given that the OP is usually not one I associate with such. That said, if ever said magazine were to start I'd buy it for my wife as I would like her to know the primal benefits for women, except apparently I should be reading Shape or Cosmo like the freak I am.

Perhaps Mark will start a new forum feature where gender exclusive threads can be color coded to avoid giving offense.
    Except when it is Rivvin's hilarious thread for men to grunt about manly things which was promptly invaded by women as quick as you could say saurkraut.

*Chill people - just an observation - not starting a gender war*

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    I'm kind of a hot mess right now, but there are plenty of smart grokelles on here who I hope will collaborate and start something cool!
    The best time to start something is right now!
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    I support this idea, with the caveat that body image issues get tackled. Chasing six-pack abs is particularly dangerous for women, and if I had a nickel for every "primal isn't working" thread started by a female with a perfectly healthy body-fat %, I would have at least 7 trillion nickels.
    I couldn't agree more. And thank you, kenn for the helpful info. See, the Grokelles aren't adverse to including the Groks' advice as long as they are contributing in a positive way.

I would also like to see information pertaining to the changes that occur over time in the female body and their effect on diet/fitness including menarche, fertile years (with perhaps a sidebar about HBC and alternatives), childbearing, lactation, menopause, etc. Just because we are all female doesn't mean we are experiencing the same phase.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Ah, lambchop, where have you been? This is not an open forum. Well, it is an open forum if you happen to post a thread called something like, "A Manly Thread for Men to Discuss Manly Things" Then everyone gets to participate.

If you are a woman and post an opening message that says, which in no way says you only want women's opinions you obviously only want women's opinions and all men should go DIAF.

There is a decided "women only" vibe from many posters/threads around here lately, which I find disappointing, especially given that the OP is usually not one I associate with such. That said, if ever said magazine were to start I'd buy it for my wife as I would like her to know the primal benefits for women, except apparently I should be reading Shape or Cosmo like the freak I am.

Perhaps Mark will start a new forum feature where gender exclusive threads can be color coded to avoid giving offense.
    tsk, i tried getting the girliness derailed in the beginning. i don't recall any guys keeping it rerailed. til the end it was a free for all until you and grumps said gtfo, so we gtfo and now men don't even post there

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    From what I have seen in a book that was kind of a compilation of articles, Muscle and Fitness Hers is probably not a bad one. I was actually going to check it out one day I have time... That's said, stuff written for men is WAY funnier!
    m&f hers is muh fayvrit. the recipes are decent, the recipes in fitness rx for women are pretty nice. if they aren't primal compliant they could easily be made primally

Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    I explained how you could do it on page 1, however, since I'm not a woman I guess that's not good info.
    kennnnnnnnn nooooooo there's no gender wars

Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    Except when it is Rivvin's hilarious thread for men to grunt about manly things which was promptly invaded by women as quick as you could say saurkraut.

*Chill people - just an observation - not starting a gender war*
    all threads become ASDF
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

It would also be cool to feature photos of real paleo/primal women in their before/during/and after phases of getting fit or even before/after photos of skin conditions, etc. and detailing their plan and journey. I like to see actual people, not just models.

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    Then start as an online blog, as suggested. There are some WP themes that can be made to look like an online newspaper, but just done with blog posts.

www.grokelle.com would direct to your WP blog, and whenever you decide to make it an actual magazine, then you can point it to your new address and keep it as Grokelle.
    Definitely a good idea. Could also be a Weebly site with multiple blogs written by different people on various topics . . . have a beauty blog, relationships/parenting, success stories, health (women's specific health and health in general) nutrition and fitness - each with its own tab. They've got some easy layouts and it's very easy to set up. In fact, I find it easier than the WP dashboard. (I used Weebly to design the website for the school library I worked at).

Could make a generic gmail account to use as the initial login and make the password/username known to contributors - but you can also send invites to people to become site administrators so they can add content easily with their existing email accounts as logins.

If anyone wants to set it up I'm happy to help out - just can't do it myself right now since I am starting a new position and have my own blogs I write. Though I definitely couldn't handle the administration I'd love to be a contributing beauty blogger and hope to have a success story of my own to share within the year. PM me and I'll share my email address if you need to send me an invite on Weebly or WP.
    Last edited by OutdoorAmy; 07-04-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast