Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo Magazine for Women page 5

June68 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Embittered bickering aside, I've been looking for some solid, science-based info for and about women and paleo/primal and it's tough. Most of the science is based on men or if it is women, it's usually post-menopausal women because all those hormones fluctuating around make scientists uneasy. True that most of the "heavy hitters" in this space are men and I don't discount what they say, but I do wonder if they would espouse the same things if they were female. And many of the female-oriented paleo/primal sites are what I call 'estrogen soaked', meaning they are emotionally forward, deal a lot with childbirth and fertility and a lot about female psychology and its assorted ills. Or, as someone else once said, they're either full of 'look at me in my bikini' or 'here's another cupcake recipe'. While those may be great for a lot of women, they aren't for me. I want facts about how best to arrange the Primal Blueprint for a chemically-fertile woman. It's tough to find.

So far I like PaleoForWomen although her podcast goes off the estrogen cliff too much for my taste. Hunt.Gather.Love is pretty good as well. Less touchy-feely. I wish Nora Gedgaudas was a more active blogger or writer, but she isn't which stinks because overall I like her approach, too. She has a podcast, but the format drives me up a wall. RawFoodSOS which is probably the most science heavy paleo/primal site I've come across and, of course, she blogs infrequently as well. I'm still sorting out another female blogger's site to see if I'll stick with it over time, it's WeightMaven and I almost didn't really look at it because of the banner of a kid eating at the top...ugh. Also still evaluating BalancedBites and Whole9.

With all these and other blogs that I read or podcasts that I follow, I'm not sure how I'd squeeze in a magazine, too. It would have to be VERY good.
    Last edited by June68; 07-03-2012 at 04:46 AM.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

June68 is online now Senior Member
    eek, double post!
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambchop View Post
    bizarre approach to an open forum
    Ah, lambchop, where have you been? This is not an open forum. Well, it is an open forum if you happen to post a thread called something like, "A Manly Thread for Men to Discuss Manly Things" Then everyone gets to participate.

If you are a woman and post an opening message that says,
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    As I'm leafing through my "Shape" magazine, I started thinking about how nice it would be to have a paleo magazine for women. Most female fitness and healthy lifestyle mags are great for workout ideas, but suck in the food/nutrition department. I'd like a paleo mag for women that is not only tailored to women's workouts, but focuses also on paleo nutrition, female health concerns, mental and spiritual health, as well as reviews on paleo resources and inspirational female paleo role models. I wonder how much it would cost to start up an online mag like this?
    which in no way says you only want women's opinions you obviously only want women's opinions and all men should go DIAF.

There is a decided "women only" vibe from many posters/threads around here lately, which I find disappointing, especially given that the OP is usually not one I associate with such. That said, if ever said magazine were to start I'd buy it for my wife as I would like her to know the primal benefits for women, except apparently I should be reading Shape or Cosmo like the freak I am.

Perhaps Mark will start a new forum feature where gender exclusive threads can be color coded to avoid giving offense.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Ah, lambchop, where have you been? This is not an open forum. Well, it is an open forum if you happen to post a thread called something like, "A Manly Thread for Men to Discuss Manly Things" Then everyone gets to participate.

If you are a woman and post an opening message that says, which in no way says you only want women's opinions you obviously only want women's opinions and all men should go DIAF.

There is a decided "women only" vibe from many posters/threads around here lately, which I find disappointing, especially given that the OP is usually not one I associate with such. That said, if ever said magazine were to start I'd buy it for my wife as I would like her to know the primal benefits for women, except apparently I should be reading Shape or Cosmo like the freak I am.

Perhaps Mark will start a new forum feature where gender exclusive threads can be color coded to avoid giving offense.
    You are being absolutely ridiculous. I was defending the idea of having a paleo woman's magazine, from a man who found the idea of such a magazine sexist. And he was being a freak about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think it should be called "Grokelle".

I would like to see articles about how a female metabolism responds to various training techniques, IFing, carbohydrate restriction/cycling, etc. Also interviews with female athletes, doctors, trainers, nutritionists who understand and recommend the Primal lifestyle.
    I second the metabolism idea! You would make a good editor/writer for this dream mag!

Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    Embittered bickering aside, I've been looking for some solid, science-based info for and about women and paleo/primal and it's tough. Most of the science is based on men or if it is women, it's usually post-menopausal women because all those hormones fluctuating around make scientists uneasy. True that most of the "heavy hitters" in this space are men and I don't discount what they say, but I do wonder if they would espouse the same things if they were female. And many of the female-oriented paleo/primal sites are what I call 'estrogen soaked', meaning they are emotionally forward, deal a lot with childbirth and fertility and a lot about female psychology and its assorted ills. Or, as someone else once said, they're either full of 'look at me in my bikini' or 'here's another cupcake recipe'. While those may be great for a lot of women, they aren't for me. I want facts about how best to arrange the Primal Blueprint for a chemically-fertile woman. It's tough to find.

So far I like PaleoForWomen although her podcast goes off the estrogen cliff too much for my taste. Hunt.Gather.Love is pretty good as well. Less touchy-feely. I wish Nora Gedgaudas was a more active blogger or writer, but she isn't which stinks because overall I like her approach, too. She has a podcast, but the format drives me up a wall. RawFoodSOS which is probably the most science heavy paleo/primal site I've come across and, of course, she blogs infrequently as well. I'm still sorting out another female blogger's site to see if I'll stick with it over time, it's WeightMaven and I almost didn't really look at it because of the banner of a kid eating at the top...ugh. Also still evaluating BalancedBites and Whole9.

With all these and other blogs that I read or podcasts that I follow, I'm not sure how I'd squeeze in a magazine, too. It would have to be VERY good.
    I would also enjoy some heavy-hitting science. I always check-up on Nora's site, and yeah I also wish she wrote more of a blog, since I find her research so interesting. As for babies and stuff, I don't have any, and I don't mind reading about it, but I think there's probably enough interest in the community for a quarterly parenting mag.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    From what I have seen in a book that was kind of a compilation of articles, Muscle and Fitness Hers is probably not a bad one. I was actually going to check it out one day I have time... That's said, stuff written for men is WAY funnier!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I like this idea a lot. In fact, I'd totally be up for starting one online. Who's with me? Oh, I had the thought of naming it 'Grokelle'...hehehe! But I was beat to the punch.

I just found a paleo-friend naturopathic doctor who's a woman. I wonder if I could get her on board...somehow...
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I like this idea a lot. In fact, I'd totally be up for starting one online. Who's with me? Oh, I had the thought of naming it 'Grokelle'...hehehe! But I was beat to the punch.

I just found a paleo-friend naturopathic doctor who's a woman. I wonder if I could get her on board...somehow...
    That would be rad! It would be cool to have an ongoing feature that takes a different topic every issue, say "Calories and Weightloss," and then feature guest writers who present cases for and against the topic.

patski is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Yes! This could be very cool! How the heck do we do this?! Get other women writers on board, etc?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast