Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: What do real American men look like? page 28

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    You'se a tiny hobbit!

I am worried that I will find The Hobbit film(s) boring after LotR. It never struck me as a particularly serious book. Maybe it's just something about that oh-so-British "And so off they went on a littler adventure" writing style.
    It is a children's book. Before publishing it the publisher had his kid (9 years old if I recall) read it. The kid liked it. It got published. People these days try to make it into something it is not. It's a kids book so yeah, not too serious.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Ah...I knew he had his child read it, but didn't realize it was designed for kids. Definitely makes me look at the movie in a different light (as a more serious fantasy film, for kids).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    book for kids or book for adults, i've been anxiously waiting for the movie to come out. maybe by the time it comes to the cheap theater*, the littlest will be able to sit still in a movie and we can go as a family.

*cheap theater is a restored historic theater with awesome staff. definitely a win all around.

Len M is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    is it a fetish to be attracted to a man who's confident and smooth, yet humble?
    Interesting thought....given the way our culture elevates the 'beating on the chest' image of male-ness over the quiet and introspective yet confident and strong image, I can see where one might consider an attraction to it a 'fetish', but I'd say it's perfectly normal. We like what we like, it is what it is.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    It is a children's book. Before publishing it the publisher had his kid (9 years old if I recall) read it. The kid liked it. It got published. People these days try to make it into something it is not. It's a kids book so yeah, not too serious.
    Ahh.... no knocking of 'childrens' books... especially when they are better written than most popular adult books these days.

I was just re-visiting Discworld, because I nostalgically pulled a book from my sons boockshelf (The Color Of Magic), and I was reminded that some silliness is excellent at times.
    I was also reminded that more parents need to be putting those books into the hands/minds of their children. They teach some incredible lessons about creativity.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Ahh.... no knocking of 'childrens' books... especially when they are better written than most popular adult books these days.

I was just re-visiting Discworld, because I nostalgically pulled a book from my sons boockshelf (The Color Of Magic), and I was reminded that some silliness is excellent at times.
    I was also reminded that more parents need to be putting those books into the hands/minds of their children. They teach some incredible lessons about creativity.
    I'm not knocking it. It is an actual book not some crap like "The Dog That Smells Its Own Ass" or whatever they put out for kids these days. I enjoyed it as a kid and enjoy it now (the Hobbit that is). Yet, it is a kid's book.

I prefere the more recent Discworld to be honest. Snuff was excellent, though I do miss the silliness of Rincewind running around like a crazy person.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not knocking it. It is an actual book not some crap like "The Dog That Smells Its Own Ass" or whatever they put out for kids these days. I enjoyed it as a kid and enjoy it now (the Hobbit that is). Yet, it is a kid's book.

I prefere the more recent Discworld to be honest. Snuff was excellent, though I do miss the silliness of Rincewind running around like a crazy person.
    Yeah... son and I went through Discworld together laughing at the antics.
    And I was missing son... who is off having some surely ridiculous antics of his own atm.
    I just liked the very bold message... "hey, YOU have an imagination... USE IT!"
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

kenn is offline Senior Member

I have a hard time getting through fiction. I used to get into them, however, as I've aged I don't see the appeal anymore.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    how funny. as i've aged, i've become more interested in fiction. as a teen and young adult, i wouldn't be caught dead reading fiction. "pointless waste of time" now i like to have some carefully-crafted diversions.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    how funny. as i've aged, i've become more interested in fiction. as a teen and young adult, i wouldn't be caught dead reading fiction. "pointless waste of time" now i like to have some carefully-crafted diversions.
    I used to read as many books as I could when I was a kid to teen. The last fiction book I read was The Daughter of Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia by Josephine Tay and I really enjoyed it. Probably more than I would usually because it forced me to research the material covered.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast