Thread: Which is more important - grass fed or unhomogenized? page

campanella is offline Senior Member

Which is more important - grass fed or unhomogenized?

Shop Now
    One brand is organic and grass fed, but it is homogenized and ultra-pasteurized. The other brand is pasteurized but unhomogenized and it's grain fed. Which is the healthier option?

Paleobird Guest
    The organic option sounds better to me. Grain fed involves too many antibiotics and hormones as a general rule.

Better yet, try to find some goat milk. They don't need to homogenize it because it doesn't separate the way cow milk does.

campanella is offline Senior Member
    The goat milk is grain fed and ultra-pasteurized. Is it still a better option?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree with paleobird. If you live in Italy, and I'm guessing you might from your username, there should be plenty of goat's dairy readily and cheaply available. I've read that Italy are trailblazers in terms of using goat's/sheep's dairy to treat children with intolerance to cow's dairy. Of course, goat and sheep farming is traditional in many regions.

I'd be interested to know where buffalo mozzarella stands re: problems with casein.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Bekki is offline Junior Member
    Pasteurization is really what you want to avoid if possible. Since both options are, I would stick with grass fed.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by campanella View Post
    The goat milk is grain fed and ultra-pasteurized. Is it still a better option?
    As long as it is hormone and antibiotic free, yes. Goat milk is much closer to human milk than cow milk is. That's why, as paleo-bunny pointed out, it is often used successfully for people who thought they had an intolerance to milk.

Buffalo mozzarella sounds wonderful.

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Re: buffalo mozzarella, former F1 world champion Jody Scheckter ended up living in the UK and has an organic estate called Laverstoke Park with a herd of buffalo for buffalo Mozzarella, buffalo steak etc. In the UK it can be ordered direct from Laverstoke Park Farm and can be found in some supermarkets.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten a ton of buffalo mozzarella. It's delicious stuff. Just unsure where it stands regarding casein types.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Paleobird Guest
    Are we talking about water buffalo here or bison? In the US, much of what are called "buffalo" are actually a cross breed of the native bison with cattle brought in by Europeans. I would think it would be kind of hard to get a bison to hold still and be milked. Not sure about a water buffalo.