Thread: Hitting all muscle fiber types page

atmetal is offline Senior Member

Hitting all muscle fiber types

Primal Fuel
    I recently learned that there are three muscle fiber types, 1, 2A, and 2B. Is there a way to work all of them at once? As I understand it, type 1 fibers are used for endurance and would therefore be trained with low weight, high reps. Type 2A is for strength, trained with high weight, low reps. Type 2B is for power, which is all about speed, unlike 2A which is slow movements. With type 1 and 2A pretty much being opposites and 2A and 2B having their own differences, what is the most efficient way to work all of them in the same workout?

An example of inefficiency would be doing a full strength workout, then moving on to a full endurance workout. While it would probably work, who has time for two workouts in a row? Not to mention that the first workout would have tired my muscles too much to fully benefit from the second workout.

Another example of inefficiency would be doing a workout for one fiber type one day, then the next workout day works another fiber. With three fiber types, that would be three different workouts. Anymore than that during the week is probably over-training, but you're only doing one type of workout a week, which seems too infrequent. How can someone expect to gain mass by exercising their 2A fibers just once a week?

Is there a way around this? Perhaps if I were to do 15 sets of pushups with a weighted vest, I could alternate between low weight and high weight each set for instance.

Suggestions please?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think that this is a case of more information -> overthinking -> confusion. Just train for the kinds of things you want to DO with your muscles, and prioritize the kinds of ACTIVITIES you enjoy and benefit from. The correct mix of fiber types for YOUR goals will then be stimulated without you ever needing to know about slow twitch, fast twitch, whatever. If you want to be faster, run sprints. If you want to be stronger, lift heavy. If you want endurance, do cardio (but get strong first). Whatever you do, don't organize your training around "fiber types."
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What tfarny said.
    Move slowly, sprint, lift heavy things in a good workout (SS, SL, CC, PBF) and play.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Keep It Simple S......
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atmetal View Post
    I recently learned that there are three muscle fiber types, 1, 2A, and 2B. Is there a way to work all of them at once? As I understand it, type 1 fibers are used for endurance and would therefore be trained with low weight, high reps. Type 2A is for strength, trained with high weight, low reps. Type 2B is for power, which is all about speed, unlike 2A which is slow movements. With type 1 and 2A pretty much being opposites and 2A and 2B having their own differences, what is the most efficient way to work all of them in the same workout?

An example of inefficiency would be doing a full strength workout, then moving on to a full endurance workout. While it would probably work, who has time for two workouts in a row? Not to mention that the first workout would have tired my muscles too much to fully benefit from the second workout.

Another example of inefficiency would be doing a workout for one fiber type one day, then the next workout day works another fiber. With three fiber types, that would be three different workouts. Anymore than that during the week is probably over-training, but you're only doing one type of workout a week, which seems too infrequent. How can someone expect to gain mass by exercising their 2A fibers just once a week?

Is there a way around this? Perhaps if I were to do 15 sets of pushups with a weighted vest, I could alternate between low weight and high weight each set for instance.

Suggestions please?
    This is the first time I read anything about those muscle fibers or where they're for. But I do pushups to failure after bench pressing my 5RM. With the information you just gave me that would hit all muscle fibers. So I'd say do your strength training followed by some pullups or whatever to failure
    Billie trips balls

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Supposedly, working with kettlebells hit all of those... As I said supposedly.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

ciep is offline Senior Member
    +1 to what tfarny said, that was perfectly put.

However, if you are interested in learning how to engage every fiber type in a single workout, check out Body By Science, it has a chapter about exactly that -- sequentially recruiting every fiber in every lift.

atmetal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I think that this is a case of more information -> overthinking -> confusion. Just train for the kinds of things you want to DO with your muscles, and prioritize the kinds of ACTIVITIES you enjoy and benefit from. The correct mix of fiber types for YOUR goals will then be stimulated without you ever needing to know about slow twitch, fast twitch, whatever. If you want to be faster, run sprints. If you want to be stronger, lift heavy. If you want endurance, do cardio (but get strong first). Whatever you do, don't organize your training around "fiber types."
    I prefer to be well rounded since any aspect of my level of fitness may be called upon some day. For now, though, my personal desire is to focus on strength and mass gaining, but I also need to work on endurance because I wish to increase my test scores in the military. So I need activities and workouts that delivers it all.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Uh....lift weights and run. And no military PT test requires a whole lot of endurance, even the USMC is only 3 miles.

Edit: and do push ups and pullups, Keep It Simple S#%^%*&
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%