Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Teeth Look Great & Nine Other First Month Reflections page

DashFire is offline Senior Member

My Teeth Look Great & Nine Other First Month Reflections

Shop Now
    I normally don't stray too much from my Primal Journal, but this is a milestone -- one month Primal. WOO HOO. It's been great and already seeing some pretty awesome (and unexpected) results. Here's a few thoughts and a couple questions for you guys...

1. My teeth look freaking great

This may have been the first benefit I noticed from primal. Even in the midst of my week 1 challenges, I was noticing that when I went to brush my teeth in the evening, they were just whiter and cleaner than usual. There was no sugar, soda or starchy foods to attack my teeth anymore and they are clearly liking it.

2. Not owning a scale was a major help

During month 1, decided not to weigh myself and in fact didn't even own a scale. This morning did my first "official" weigh-in on my new scale and lost 21 lbs. But not owning a scale let me focus on transitioning to primal eating, not stressing over every pound or tweaking the hell out of ratios, etc my first month.

3. People can't help but spew SAD CW

People noticed my change in diet and whether I said "oh I'm just taking a break from grains" or "just eating healthier" or the rare "yeah, I'm trying to get in shape" everyone, EVERYONE, had some kind of unsolicited conventional wisdom that they seemed incapable of not sharing. All of it, any of it really, was a recipe for disaster.

4. Friends find my new interest in sports confusing and/or funny

When asking friends to play sports they mostly respond in a "uhm, really? uh... sure" kind of way. Or in one instance "oh man, it would have been hilarious seeing you try to play tennis." I get it, I'm a big fat dude. But bottom line is it takes friends a while to embrace the changing you and in meantime they can be (unintentionally) really discouraging.

5. Primal is a major confidence booster

Ok, I know it's not primal really, but just that I'm taking control of my life, feeling better and starting to see positive changes. But it's amazing the difference in only one month.

6. Benefits start showing up almost immediately

During week 1, in spite of carb flu, not only were my teeth looking better, but I was experiencing alleviation of IBS symptoms, a little extra kick in my step, and just a general feeling of increased body awareness/connectedness. Sure, it might take a while to see any visual change with body/fat loss, but that doesn't mean primal changes aren't benefitting the body from Day 1. Which leads me to...

7. Sometimes I feel like I have a new body

This may sound like hyperbole, considering I've only dropped 20 of the 120 lbs I need to lose, but I really do feel at times I have a new body. There are times when I even forgot how big I am, because I feel so much healthier, that it seems I'm further along. Which can be discouraging when I look in the mirror, but overall, it's been a great motivator and confidence boost (#5)

8. Primal eating isn't as expensive as people think (or sometimes we make it sound)

I've had at least a half-dozen people say "it's so expensive to eat healthy." To which I want to scream back "eggs, tuna, bacon, spinach, GO!" When it comes to grass-fed, organic, etc. Is it better? Hellz yeah. Is it costlier? Of course. Is it necessary to get started? Not really. So it's not even a major part of my "talking points" about Primal.

9. I refuse to say "I'll never go back"

It's one month in, I'm seeing positive changes, so let's be honest... I'm on a primal high right now. So I don't want to be naive and say "oh, I'd never go back." Uhm, of course I would. A few closely timed weddings and holidays might be all it took. Bottom line here is I don't want to let down my guard by being cocky and overconfident about my (still developing) commitment to Primal living. I see this too often and then people fall flat and don't know how to get up again.

10. The MDA forum is the bomb. You guys rock!

In large part because of #3 & #9 above, it is a HUGE help to be able to jump on here, ask questions, get feedback, be encouraged and just have a place to reorient my way of thinking about nutrition, fitness, etc.

And a couple questions...

1. For those of you further down the Primal road - what do you recall about months 1-3. What things (benefits, challenges, etc) do I have to look forward to?

2. Who's in Chicago and wants to go play some sports? I know you're out there.
    Last edited by DashFire; 07-01-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    1. My teeth look freaking great

Yep. My dentist has to look really hard to find anything resembling tartar in order to justify charging me for a cleaning.

2. Not owning a scale was a major help

This is a personal decision and I'm glad it is working for you. I liked having a scale and seeing the feedback.

3. People can't help but spew SAD CW

Oh, yeah. Particularly about red meat and fat = heart disease and you *need* your healthywholegrains.

4. Friends find my new interest in sports confusing and/or funny

I was always pretty athletic before I gained weight so my friends were glad to see me getting back to normal.

5. Primal is a major confidence booster

Definitely. It's like you have been trying all these years to fix a Ferrari using the owners manual for a Kia. Primal is like finally getting the right instructions to go with the right machine. Knowing that it wasn't your fault, you just had the wrong instructions before, is liberating.

6. Benefits start showing up almost immediately
    7. Sometimes I feel like I have a new body

I started to notice less general puffiness right away. Shoes, rings fit looser and bagginess decreased around the eyes and neck.

8. Primal eating isn't as expensive as people think (or sometimes we make it sound)

I really get sick of people whining about this. Either pay for the good food now or pay for the doctor later.

9. I refuse to say "I'll never go back"

Say it loud and say it proud!

10. The MDA forum is the bomb. You guys rock!

For those of you further down the Primal road - what do you recall about months 1-3. What things (benefits, challenges, etc) do I have to look forward to?
    You may come to a point where your weight loss slows down and you have to become a bit more careful about tracking and weighing. Your body will let you know when you get there.

Congrats on a great start.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-01-2012 at 01:39 PM.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Number 3. I've been primal for about 10 months now, and I still have people (usually overweight) giving me their two cents of CW, kind of annoying at times, but I brush it off. It never seems to stop. Number 4, the exercise thing, I've never been athletic, but what really took me by surprise was other people asking me to go running with them, and give them tips and pointers on running. I. WAS. SHOCKED. I've had people ask me to run marathons with them, I've respectfully declined. 5-7, YES. My confidence is higher than it's ever been in my life, and it shows in a good way. I'm 39, but probably look a little older from the years of CW abuse I've done to my body, but, I fell 29! I can do things now that I've never been able to do. I also refuse to say I'll never go back, I don't know why, I just won't say it. I guess it could somehow happen, life could get in the way and change things up for me. I don't want to go back, but I'll never say ever.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Nice post! Congrats on your success.

I am almost 2 years in to primal eating now. I would say that the challenges come in cycles. Most of the time primal is easy, satisfying and I can't believe how lucky I am to have found it. But I go through phases where NONE of the food tastes good, I'm sick to death of cooking and shopping, and I just want to eat cookies. So if/when that hits, just be confident that it is a phase and not permanent. Find a new recipe, flavor, cooking technique or whatever to spice things up again and in no time you'll be just fine.

I will never go back. I have bad meals here and there and every now and then will eat ten cookies or have cake at a party, but even in my worst slump I was never tempted to abandon ship completely.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I started May 1 (2012).

I don't say NEVER BE SAD AGAIN, either. Not that I plan to dump this Primal thing, but if I say that and then have some beans with the tomato salad, I have just broken my own promise to myself. That kind of thing puts me in the dumps...I failed...I failed... not good enough... not good enough... you get it. I am taking things slowly, but once they are out of the house, they are out of the house. Works for me.

I am totally surprised, shocked, awestruck, pick adjective, by how getting the cheap O-6's out of my diet has just helped everything. For the first time in my life I got a compliment on my skin!!!!!!! I wasn't zitty to begin with, so I don't know exactly what changed, but someone I don't see often said that to me. I will take it!! AND I don't instantly feel like I am burning to a crisp whenever the sun strikes my skin!! Yea!!!! So THAT'S how sun is supposed to feel?!?!

DashFire, seriously fine job. Too bad I'm not in Chicago - I would play. If I ever have a trip up there, I'll PM you.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Well I have a gluten sensitivity and it's awesome bc I CAN'T go back. And I would never want to anyway. I have had some great primal wins! I got my whole family oil pulling after just 5 days of me doing it and them noticing how much better my teeth were. My sister now uses coconut oil on my niece's skin for her constant rashes, and it works 100x better than the ointment she got from the doc. My brother is now seriously considering going primal and my mom has at least started to implement some primal things into her diet. Primal WINS!

KatieCHI is offline Member
    The forums are great, right? I don't post often, but I read every day.
    Hooray for being Primal in Chicago! I'm the one at the Grant Park playground with the vibrams. You have to go early to use the monkey bars before all the kids get there!
    By the way, a great restaurant in Chicago for Primal eating: Butcher and Burger Co. in Lincoln Park. It's all grass-fed beef, pastured pork, etc (they actually list what nearby farm the meat comes from) -- and you can actually pick up and hold the lettuce buns! Plus they make their fries with lard, so if you ever really wanted fries...

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    1. For those of you further down the Primal road - what do you recall about months 1-3. What things (benefits, challenges, etc) do I have to look forward to?

2. Who's in Chicago and wants to go play some sports? I know you're out there.
    Congrats on the great start! Revisiting my own weight loss notes about those first 1-3 months, here are some of the things I found as it relates to your question. Your mileage may vary.

1. After the first month on Primal, my sleep schedule got all kinds of messed up. I'm not sure why even now but I was sleeping pretty irregularly and it affected my weight loss. Sleep is majorly important when on Primal so I recommend sticking to a regular sleep schedule as often as you can; it things get irregular sleep wise, don't get discouraged, just keep the faith.

2. A regular eating and exercise schedule was also huge for me during the first 1-3 months. Anytime I deviated from either I found my results were hampered and my energy levels were low. Keep things in perspective and don't punish yourself if you get off the eating/exercise schedule (I did that by overworking out the next day and then finding myself wrecked for a few days at a time). The important thing is to do what you're capable of then, not what you want to be capable of later... the body takes time to adjust to things in my experience.

3. As you continue to drop more weight and get healthier, some people close to you may begin to insist what you're doing is "wrong" or "unhealthy" or "extreme." Pay them no mind... friends and family (especially the ones who have failed to lose weight on CW) will rally against you hard. Accept what they say but don't file away as pertinent info-just let it slide. Primal goes against the grain in a lot of ways and so as you continue to see more success, those who are so ingrained in CW will start fighting you harder. In these early months it's especially easy to listen to these types and get off track, so watch out.

4. You may have to start tracking your food/carb/calorie intakes as things go along. My weight loss slowed a bit in the second month and never really resembled the five pound average loss of weight I had in the first month. Don't get bummed about that if it happens to you, keep the faith. I found that taking stock of what I ate and drank in the second month allowed me to better plan in the third month (which basically was the same, but I felt much better about it because I knew it wasn't about me doing it WRONG it was because I was doing it right, if that makes any sense).

5. By the third month I took stock of the various changes my body; it was only then that I really began seeing changes. I had been the fat guy for a LONG time (nearly 13 years by that point) so it was tough for me to SEE things changing. However, by the third month my body was seeing some significant changes. Clothes were a lot looser, my class ring from high school (sized 4 years before) slid off my fingers effortlessly (despite the fact it hadn't fit for nearly 2 years) and I was noticeably thinner according to my friends. This would fall under benefits, in case you wondered-Primal will change your shape, your body, in every way... even fingers and feet. I wear a slightly smaller shoe size now then I did when I began Primal and I'm a little shorter too (no more fat on feet, lol.)

6. Oh, and don't buy a lot of new clothes until you've hit maintenance. Seriously, this was one of THE top pieces of advice I got from my friend who went Primal-she went out and bought all kinds of new clothes after the first 22 pounds came off for her but she wasn't done yet. By the time she had hit her goal of losing 40 pounds, those clothes she bought before were a tent on her. I have put off buying lots of clothes for this very reason... in fact, the clothes I did buy I intentionally bought a size smaller than what I was currently wearing (so I could lose INTO them as opposed to out of). I've recently decided to do maintenance myself so I went out and restocked some on dressy/nice casual clothes, and it was a lot of fun. Primal makes shopping for clothes FUN again, another benefit.

And that's all the wisdom (if one can call it that) I can offer on the matter. If you want to read more on my weight loss journey the link is in my sig. Otherwise, congrats on the success again and I hope I've offered something useful here, lol.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    6. Oh, and don't buy a lot of new clothes until you've hit maintenance. Seriously, this was one of THE top pieces of advice I got from my friend who went Primal-she went out and bought all kinds of new clothes after the first 22 pounds came off for her but she wasn't done yet. By the time she had hit her goal of losing 40 pounds, those clothes she bought before were a tent on her. I have put off buying lots of clothes for this very reason... in fact, the clothes I did buy I intentionally bought a size smaller than what I was currently wearing (so I could lose INTO them as opposed to out of). I've recently decided to do maintenance myself so I went out and restocked some on dressy/nice casual clothes, and it was a lot of fun. Primal makes shopping for clothes FUN again, another benefit.
    This is great advice. I got the same advice when I started losing and bought my "interim" clothes at a second hand shop. Some of those clothes only fit for a couple months - so it really saved me some money.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    I actually started to fill my sleeves with some muscles
    Although I'm hitting a plateau strength-wise, I'm feeling tighter around the arms and shoulders.

My hair and nails grow faster, stronger. My hair and beard is changing from brown to blonde because of the sun.
    My skin is healing. For the first time in my life my skin is actually healing! I used to get scars from every tiny cut.
    I don't burn easily from the sun (although while writing these words I'm tomato red - didn't know my limits)
    My mouth doesn't feel disgusting when I wake up anymore.
    I smell great.

I'm far more vigilant in the mornings. After I open my eyes it's like I'm really up - no more 'morning confusion'.

The only downfall I experience is when it's time to go to bed I just turn to stone and drop.
    When I was a teenage I could be up all night easy, but now my vision turns a bit blurry, and I just want to sink in my bed.

I just wanna storm what's out there. My office work is killing me.
    I wish I had friends that want to play outside - everybody is too busy or has asthma..
    I need more play in my life.
    Last edited by Gilleh; 07-02-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast