Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We have been invited to family 4th of july dinner. Would you eat this? page

Howdiho is offline Junior Member

We have been invited to family 4th of july dinner. Would you eat this?

Primal Fuel
    My sister has invited me and husband and our 4 kids ranging from 1.5 to 8 years old. We have been completely primal for about 3 months now and she knows we are doing some sort of different diet. So she invited us to dinner and said she is making fruit pie (with wheat), baked beans, potato salad, chicken, deviled eggs, and i am sure she will have the variety of pop. The olny thing of htis lot we would eat is the chicken and deviled eggs if it wasnt made with mayo.

So we all go over there and just eat chicken and i will get the looks and maybe later a rant about not letting my kids eat normal food. Or, i can just avoid the whole situation and decline, even though e rest of my family will be there and family get togethers are important.

What would you do? Am i being too picky? I need advice or support one way or another. Oh and btw, this sister iss the one who called me one the phone 3 months ago and said what i was doing was f'ed up. Even thaough she never asked why or asked for details. Thanks

Oh and i forgot, she is also having corn on the cob

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Eat the chicken and the eggs and enjoy if she starts complaining leave.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Vega is offline Member
    Why not go and bring some extra vegetable side dishes and a fruit salad for dessert? That way you're contributing, and you have things to eat.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you just bring a couple of primal firendly dishes to contribute to the dinner? Mark featured a great looking sweet potato salad yesterday. Fresh fruit. Bring enough so you are not just bringing food for your family to eat only.

I personally would also have some corn on the cob. It's delicious and is an occasional indulgence for me in exactly these kind of situations.

She never offered for me to bring anything, so that means that i shouldnt so i didnt ask. She is judgemental And very opinionated. I feel like she Is asking to still see if i am on this "diet."

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    So call her up and tell her that yes you are still on this diet. She probably want a to know how much food to plan for. Tell her the items on her menu that your family won't eat and then tell her that you don't expect her to change her menu to accommodate your unconventional diet. That you would love to contribute a couple of dishes.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like the gluten has gone to her brain.
    You could still offer to bring something and show up with veg and dip. If she acts up leave. Your only other alternative would be to cut ties with her if she is going to keep on this way.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Go and bring a dish you'll eat. Use your 20% to keep the peace. This is your family.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdiho View Post
    So we all go over there and just eat chicken and i will get the looks and maybe later a rant about not letting my kids eat normal food. Or, i can just avoid the whole situation and decline, even though e rest of my family will be there and family get togethers are important.
    Or, OR -- now hear me out, I know this is crazy -- OR, you eat the damned food for one insignificant day. Kind of like how you were eating 3 months ago and were perfectly alive and well.

Edit: Here is another thought. You certainly are treating this like any other short-term fad diet. If this is going to be how you eat for the rest of your life, then you have to be flexible enough to allow for, and dare I say, enjoy some deviations from it every now and then. It takes a certain type of personality to do something in an unrelenting, hardcore manner from day one and have it stick, but the average person is not like that. The more you resist temptation, the harder you will cave in down the road.
    Last edited by Grumpycakes; 07-01-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast