Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: We have been invited to family 4th of july dinner. Would you eat this? page 4

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    July 4 is only one of very many special occasions that we celebrate. It's OK if you choose to loosen the standards for every holiday, birthday, graduation, family get-together, whatever, but it's not fair to tell someone 'Why don't you just eat it THIS ONE TIME and get over it.'

I believe that people shouldn't stress out at all over eating non-primal food if they want to. But if someone doesn't want the pie because it isn't a big deal to them, i.e. having pie doesn't make the event more special for them (and I get it, and it's fine, that thanksgiving means pie to lots of people!), then why do they need to eat the pie??

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    One route is to just eat chicken and eggs yourself (and potato salad if you want it, you're already eating mayonnaise), but let your kid and husbands eat as they please. Gives your sister less to gripe about.
    +1. That is what I would do.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    July 4 is only one of very many special occasions that we celebrate. It's OK if you choose to loosen the standards for every holiday, birthday, graduation, family get-together, whatever, but it's not fair to tell someone 'Why don't you just eat it THIS ONE TIME and get over it.'

I believe that people shouldn't stress out at all over eating non-primal food if they want to. But if someone doesn't want the pie because it isn't a big deal to them, i.e. having pie doesn't make the event more special for them (and I get it, and it's fine, that thanksgiving means pie to lots of people!), then why do they need to eat the pie??
    I completely agree with this. However, if it is a simple as they don't want a piece of pie, then why skip a whole family event over that? No one is going think twice if you just pass on the dessert. It is when you make a big deal about needing your specific food available that people start making a scene. With the exception of the occasional busy body who will needle you about it.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Heathen is offline Junior Member
    It amazes me how someone can turn a 4th of July picnic into such a huge drama fest.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    well, it's 'someones' -- a lot of people in the dynamic.

i think it's just like that with family. old patterns, old resentments, old battles. it's really a part of life.

end of the day, i've been teaching myself to ignore stuff. to be non-reactive with family. it's been helpful.

in this situation, i would bring food that would make me happy (enough to share) allow the family to eat whatever they'd like, and eat what i'd like, and change the topic anytime someone tried to pick a fight with me.

i've been doing this with my ILs over skype, and it's been working. I'm hoping that I"ll be able to do it when they are here on holiday.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Or, OR -- now hear me out, I know this is crazy -- OR, you eat the damned food for one insignificant day. Kind of like how you were eating 3 months ago and were perfectly alive and well.

Edit: Here is another thought. You certainly are treating this like any other short-term fad diet. If this is going to be how you eat for the rest of your life, then you have to be flexible enough to allow for, and dare I say, enjoy some deviations from it every now and then. It takes a certain type of personality to do something in an unrelenting, hardcore manner from day one and have it stick, but the average person is not like that. The more you resist temptation, the harder you will cave in down the road.
    This!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdiho View Post
    My sister has invited me and husband and our 4 kids ranging from 1.5 to 8 years old. We have been completely primal for about 3 months now and she knows we are doing some sort of different diet. So she invited us to dinner and said she is making fruit pie (with wheat), baked beans, potato salad, chicken, deviled eggs, and i am sure she will have the variety of pop. The olny thing of htis lot we would eat is the chicken and deviled eggs if it wasnt made with mayo.

So we all go over there and just eat chicken and i will get the looks and maybe later a rant about not letting my kids eat normal food. Or, i can just avoid the whole situation and decline, even though e rest of my family will be there and family get togethers are important.
    I would eat the beans, potato salad, chicken and deviled eggs personally. And the corn on the cob. I love corn on the cob. I might even eat the pie, but I'd probably be too full.

I know you said she's judgmental and didn't ask for the party to be a pot luck. So what. Bring a hot dish or a dessert or a bottle of wine or both just to be friendly. Seriously I would do this for a 4th of July picnic where I was bringing four hungry children anyway just to be nice. If she gets mad at you for bringing a gift, then maybe she's not really worth your time.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    It amazes me how someone can turn a 4th of July picnic into such a huge drama fest.
    I agree. Why make it all about the food anyway? Go and have a great time, eat what you want. Is the whole gathering going to be nothing but eating and judging everyone else by what they do or don't eat? Probably not. I know I react badly to most non-primal foods, but I just say "no thank you" and no one even thinks twice about it.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    You can't pick family. You can walk away.
    Not worth the stress? Then see ya, and let go.

If your family has nothing better to do than pick on each other...
    Maybe in 5, 10 , 20 years, or never y'all can be adult and chose to focus on loving each other for who they are.

If everyone around you is sabotaging your life style or causing problems... maybe your wound a little too tight.
    Last edited by springnr; 07-02-2012 at 06:54 AM.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Don't go....

Or just eat it- I have eaten all of those things except beans (because I don't like them) and pie.... and nothing was that bad. Seriously, corn on the cob is not bad for you on occasion, nor is potato salad. Pig out on chicken and take small portions of everything else. Bring a drink for your kids (pop might be a bad idea for young ones off the sugar). Bring a dish to share.

Or just go and quietly only eat what you can, don't make pronouncements. Just eat your chicken and be quiet about it. Eat before you go, get the kids full of good food.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast