Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you know anyone who recovered from a very long illness? page 3

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sorry if this has been touched on, I didn't read everything but have you ever tried acupuncture? I know 2 different people who had RA so bad they needed assistance to walk and now are off their meds and everything and are fine bc of acupuncture. One of them is my cousin and she never believed it would have worked, but she gave it a shot and it did.

Sabre is offline Senior Member
    I haven't--thanks for the suggestion. Full disclosure though, I'm a hardened skeptic, I'm not convinced the acupuncture was the causal factor in helping those people with their RA, but who knows, anything is worth a shot.

That's fine, but I am telling you, my friend was so bad she dropped out of our college for 2 years to get things figured out. No doctor could help her. She went to acupuncture. I saw her last month for the first time in 2 years and she was a different person. She was basically in a darkened room in her bed everyday bc of migraines and couldn't move bc of RA. She is back to being normal.

That's really great to hear she made such improvements.

I sounds like she's in a similar boat to me. I'm actually taking a year out of college to get things figured out.

What age is she? Do you know what the cause of her migraines was?

Donne is offline Junior Member
    I don't know that what you are describing is vertigo, but it sounds kinda similar. I have had issues with vertigo from a car accident that resulted in nystagmus (which resolved early on) and feelings of dizziness etc. The good news is that I was helped tremendously by a Physical Therapist who specialized in vertigo. He used the "Epley maneuver" on me (from that NPR article someone else quoted above) and also had me do some simple exercises that helped tremendously. The exercises were things like:
    1. face a wall (I always did this in the shower) and imagine there is a clock on the wall in front of you. Touch the 12 on the clock then touch your chest and follow the movement of your hand with your eyes as you do so. The repeat with the 11 and so on around the clock both clockwise and counter clockwise.
    2.lay in bed and log roll side to side as fast as you can tolerate for 5 repetitions.

It may be worth a try?

@Donne,

The 2nd one sounds like a scene from The Exorcist. I just need some foam coming from my mouth and bulging eyeballs rolled into the back of my head. The power of Christ compels you!

Seriously though, I'm glad to hear the exercises helped for you. I'm certain though that what I have isn't vertigo. I have no balance problems, I jog all the time, I feel woozy but it's the kind of wooziness you get after a few beers, or extreme fatigue. I don't feel like my balance is affected.

I was on a certain prescription drug for a skin problem and I believe it weakened my immune system, and when I got a viral illness of some kind my immune system was too weakened to stop it from going to my brain, and it caused inflammation, which probably crushed a part of the visual cortex. That's my best guess.

I was in hell for 2-4 months. True hell. Like no other suffering I've ever experienced. But I've made huge improvements. I still have a long way to go though. It's been really helpful posting here and reading your reponses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    That's really great to hear she made such improvements.

I sounds like she's in a similar boat to me. I'm actually taking a year out of college to get things figured out.

What age is she? Do you know what the cause of her migraines was?
    She was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, basically bc they couldn't figure anything else out. She is 24, looks great now.

They tried to label me with that too. I absolutely refused it. Though I admit that mental fatigue has been a consequence.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Well, I took some hardcore amazon mushrooms as a teenager and it changed my vision/perception a LOT! All the lines in a room still wiggle and dance a bit, and I have trouble telling if lines are parallel if I'm not at just the right angle to see them. For years after that trip, my eyes were very static-y, and I had AWFUL night vision. And my head just felt buzzy, like I couldn't access my thoughts properly and wasn't getting all the details from my environment I used to. But it's been like seven years and I'm pretty much back to normal now, except sometimes lines still writhe if I stare too long. Oh, and the stars on a clear night undulate like I'm looking up at the waving ocean's surface from below. But it's gotten better over time, and that was definitely brain damage.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    ***Note to self: Skip the Amazon mushrooms, your head already has enough problems.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast