Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Gluten-Free Products Healthier? page 3

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    I'm really excited that Frito Lay has announced it will start labeling some of their products as gluten-free!
    Doritos are gluten free. They must be healthier.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Just make sure they are nacho cheese flavored though so you can take advantage of the protein content in the cheese...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    As most of us pointed out above, gluten-free junk food is still a bad idea. However, the push for gluten-free labelling means that people like me have a better chance of not getting sick from stealth gluten in our food. Canada is bringing in new laws that will require the clear labelling of gluten in products, and so yes, it will mean Frito-Lay can say things are gluten free, but it also means that I will be able to buy a bottle of salad dressing without wondering whether there's gluten hidden in the "spices" that didn't have to be declared under the current standards.

So it's easy to make fun of gluten-free Doritos, but that could be a matter of whether I can reasonably indulge in a few chips at a party knowing they're junk food or avoiding them in fear of many hours of abdominal distress, a return of joint aches and fatigue, and possibly a fun-filled outbreak of dermatitis herpetiformis.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I'm saddened to hear and somewhat shocked that Canada does not have clear labelling already on this score.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

New laws take effect on August 4! So happy.

ETA: The EU has way better food labelling laws for allergens. European imports tend to be nice and clear in their labels, so I'm hoping ours are as good now.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    ^ I am apparently not classically allergic to anything. Anyway this is very good news for you.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    As most of us pointed out above, gluten-free junk food is still a bad idea. However, the push for gluten-free labelling means that people like me have a better chance of not getting sick from stealth gluten in our food. Canada is bringing in new laws that will require the clear labelling of gluten in products, and so yes, it will mean Frito-Lay can say things are gluten free, but it also means that I will be able to buy a bottle of salad dressing without wondering whether there's gluten hidden in the "spices" that didn't have to be declared under the current standards.

So it's easy to make fun of gluten-free Doritos, but that could be a matter of whether I can reasonably indulge in a few chips at a party knowing they're junk food or avoiding them in fear of many hours of abdominal distress, a return of joint aches and fatigue, and possibly a fun-filled outbreak of dermatitis herpetiformis.
    Gluten or not, I would avoid the doritos AND the salad dressing for the soybean oil and corn content alone.

I'm not making light of your health issues. I agree that the crap in processed foods -- even healthy ones -- are toxic in one form or another.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

You can get salad dressings that have no soybean oil or HFCS in them at the organic grocery store, but the labels currently don't tell me whether they have gluten in them. Also, a little corn won't make me horribly sick if I have it now and then, while a little gluten will. If I decide to "cheat" with something like chips, I want to be able to do so without being direly ill. I know a Dorito is crap (and honestly, I think they're sort of gross, so it's hypothetical that I'd eat one anyhow).

But this also means that now I can decide whether to buy that carton of organic stock when I'm out of bone broth because they'll have to be clear whether the "spices" listed on the label have gluten in them. In my world currently, even that's a gamble that could cost me a couple of days of misery, and I don't think most of us would call organic beef stock junk food.

If I'm going to eat junk, I should at least be able to know what's in it, and better labelling laws help people like me. Celiac disease is an illness that means that foods that are a fun 20% choice for most primal folks are off-limits for me.

Owly's Journal

What I'm saying is that it's easy to sneer at labelling laws that tell you that Doritos are gluten free, but for some of us, those labelling laws represent a long, hard fight on the part of people with serious allergies and food sensitivities to have the right to make informed choices about what we eat based on clear and accurate label information that doesn't hide gluten behind labels like "vegetable protein", "flavour", or "spices".

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    You can get salad dressings that have no soybean oil or HFCS in them at the organic grocery store, but the labels currently don't tell me whether they have gluten in them. Also, a little corn won't make me horribly sick if I have it now and then, while a little gluten will. If I decide to "cheat" with something like chips, I want to be able to do so without being direly ill. I know a Dorito is crap (and honestly, I think they're sort of gross, so it's hypothetical that I'd eat one anyhow).
    Can you tell me what salad dressing brands you have found in Canada? I have had no luck finding any made with olive oil. Just canola and soybean.

And I don't like Doritos either.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast