Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Gluten-Free Products Healthier? page 2

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have noticed that UK supermarkets are getting Free From sections and it's now possible to buy gluten-free organic Digestive biscuits (graham cookies). But it's still processed and I've even seen organic modified maize starch listed as an ingredient !

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Gluten-free does not equate to exonerating.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 07-01-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Omg - my spelling has gone to pot.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    They're healthier for sure, but not necessarily healthy.

SleepingLion is offline Junior Member
    The "Gluten Free" label is a bit of a pet peeve of mine really.
    Over here, things sold as "fresh produce" in Deli's, Butcher shops, Farmers' Markets etc don't have to be labelled, and so usually aren't.
    So I was quizzing my local butcher one day about what was in his sausages.
    "Oh, they're gluten free!" he eagerly and helpfully tells me, but he couldn't tell me anything else about their ingredients.

Yeah, great. How does telling me one thing that isn't in a product, help me to identify what is?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    No.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Not that I would buy them and I am not Celiac but for those Canadians that are diagnosed celiac the extra cost of gluten free products (including flours) is tax deductible.
    Gluten-free products
    Last edited by Dirlot; 07-02-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

econ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    They're healthier for sure, but not necessarily healthy.
    This might be a stupid question, but can you explain to me why they are healthier? I honestly don't understand why gluten free crackers made with rice are better than regular crackers; and I don't understand why cider is healthier than an IPA.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by econ View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but can you explain to me why they are healthier? I honestly don't understand why gluten free crackers made with rice are better than regular crackers; and I don't understand why cider is healthier than an IPA.
    Because gluten is terrible for your body. Robb Wolf cites some good studies that explain why in this post.

If you don't have a good understanding of why gluten grains are particularly problematic for more reasons than just their carb content, then I'd suggest spending some time doing your research and reading some paleo/primal writers and what they have to say about gluten. Have you read the Primal Blueprint? I don't know how someone who's read that book and has chosen to follow a paleo diet doesn't understand why something made from gluten grains is more problematic than something made from apples.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    ^ Lectins are evil for a lot of folk, for various reasons.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    I'm really excited that Frito Lay has announced it will start labeling some of their products as gluten-free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast