Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't want man hands but I want to do chin-ups and pull-ups page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

I don't want man hands but I want to do chin-ups and pull-ups

Primal Fuel
    How can I keep my hands soft and callus-free while working my way up to pull-ups and chin-ups? I went to the park to attempt them and it hurts the skin on my hands and brings back old memories of being a kid and always having little white calluses on my palms at the base of every finger and having them get blistered and tear off now and then. I really do not want that. Would using gloves be cheating? Would it even work? I don't want man hands full of calluses.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Gloves will help, also changing how you grip the bar (I'm assuming a bar and not a tree branch) will less the chance of calluses. Changing your grip will also work your forearms more and make pullups/chinups harder. You'll want to grab the bar with your fingers and not your palm, this way it won't pinch the skin at the base of your fingers.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    You don't get calluses if you have a proper grip. You shouldn't be pinching your skin between bars and your hands, bars should be at the base of your fingers.
    Exactly. Make sure your fingers/palm are not sliding on the bar either.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. The bar was a little bigger than my hands. Not as bad as a tree branch, but not as small as would have been easiest to grip. I know my grip needs work, but still I ended up with red marks at the base of every finger on my palm.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I have one of those pull-up bars that fits in a door way, it has padding, I haven't had any blistering on my hands using it. It was the best $30 exercise investment I've ever made. I've been a wimp all my life now at 51 I'm able to do 3 chin ups!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    You don't get calluses if you have a proper grip. You shouldn't be pinching your skin between bars and your hands, bars should be at the base of your fingers.
    ETA: Gloves are for loo-oo-sa-hers. They add thickness, and give you a false sense of grip strength. You should just work on strengthening your actual grip.
    First answer was the best answer. Just add lotion =).
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

emerson is offline Member
    You could try a false grip on the bar; although I find pulls a little harder. I usually use about the same grip position on pull-ups as I do for dead lift - and like any heavy lift chalk helps; calluses might just be inevitable regardless in over/underhand grip. In my experience, lacking rings, the neutral grip is best to prevent calluses...

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I wear gloves. I don't want calluses either just for aesthetic reasons. Mind you i still get them but as not as much. I have to admit I don't have a strong grip but I'm not sure if that is relevant to small hand.
    Last edited by cayla29s; 07-01-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Don't let the calluses build up. Make sure you are buffing and keeping them down. They will maintain the protection and will be less likely to tear off.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Don't let the calluses build up. Make sure you are buffing and keeping them down. They will maintain the protection and will be less likely to tear off.
    This. I peel them off on a regular basis, and they don't look white and torn up like my boyfriend's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast