Thread: Palm Oil Versus Palm Kernel Oil page

westes is offline Senior Member

Palm Oil Versus Palm Kernel Oil

Primal Fuel
    As someone new to the Paleo diet, I have started to increase satured fats in my diet, specifically by using coconut and palm oil. I am annoyed to find out today that the saturated version of palm oil is actually palm *kernel* oil, and the pure palm oil is only about half saturated fats and is more like corn oil than coconut oil in terms of lipid profile.

To cut to the chase, can someone recommend a source for good palm kernel cooking oil, preferably a brand that I can buy on Amazon?

Doesn't anyone here use palm kernel oil instead of palm oil for cooking? If yes, do you have a recommend brand/source for the kernel oil?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil, ghee, butter, and olive oil.

Palm kernel oil is pure as well just from a different part of the plant.

I would look at this one
    Amazon.com: Tropical Traditions Organic Palm Shortening - 112 oz. (1 Gallon): Health & Personal Care
    and email them for more info to ensure it is kernel oil.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

That is not palm kernel oil. That is palm oil which has had some of the unsaturated fats removed.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

peril is offline Senior Member
    I use whatever red palm oil I can find at whatever African grocery I can find. Most of the stuff here comes from Ghana.

Red palm oil is easy to tell from refined palm oil by its distinctive colour and flavour. Also, much of the refined palm oil comes from plantations in SE Asia, where they are clearing habitat of the few remaining Orangutan, whereas the red oil comes from West Africa or Sth America
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

That's the one I have been using too Moochy. Unfortunately, that is palm oil NOT palm kernel oil!! And palm oil contains a very large amount of polyunsaturated fats of the kind that paleo diets want you to avoid. Palm oil is more like corn oil. The oil that is primarily stable saturated fats is palm KERNEL oil, and that isn't the product you linked to.

On the other hand, the red palm oil is chock full of caretenoids and reputed to be good for the heart and eyes
    Last edited by peril; 07-08-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Peril, it looks like you caught the mistake in your original post. Red palm oil is NOT palm kernel oil. Per Wikipedia:

"Palm oil is an edible plant oil and is derived from the mesocarp of the fruit of the oil palm (Elaeis guineensis).[1] It is not to be confused with palm kernel oil derived from the kernel of the same fruit,[2] or coconut oil derived from the kernel of the coconut palm (Cocos nucifera). The differences are in color (raw palm kernel oil lacks carotenoids and is not red), and in saturated fat content: Palm mesocarp oil is 41% saturated, while Palm Kernel oil and Coconut oil are 81% and 86% saturated respectively"

See page:
    Palm oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    Peril, it looks like you caught the mistake in your original post. Red palm oil is NOT palm kernel oil. Per Wikipedia:

"Palm oil is an edible plant oil and is derived from the mesocarp of the fruit of the oil palm (Elaeis guineensis).[1] It is not to be confused with palm kernel oil derived from the kernel of the same fruit,[2] or coconut oil derived from the kernel of the coconut palm (Cocos nucifera). The differences are in color (raw palm kernel oil lacks carotenoids and is not red), and in saturated fat content: Palm mesocarp oil is 41% saturated, while Palm Kernel oil and Coconut oil are 81% and 86% saturated respectively"

See page:
    Palm oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I did pick up the difference eventually. However, you're comparing the two oils based on the lipid profile alone. This is an example of the nutritionism that Michael Pollan rails against.

Another way to look at it is that palm kernel oil is an industrial product, a seed oil even, whereas read palm oil is a minimally processed product, being crushed and filtered fruit with many other nutrients from the fruit.

If you're looking for an oil for deep frying, then palm kernel oil or shortening may be just the ticket. If you're looking for a proven healthy oil for making casseroles and curries, then red palm oil definitely works for me.