Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying primal with only a microwave and a fridge page

atmetal is offline Senior Member

Staying primal with only a microwave and a fridge

Shop Now
    I just recently finished Navy boot camp and made it to my A school. Like boot camp, the galley here is very grain and carb focused. Unlike boot camp, however, I'm going to be here a while (at least 9 months), so I can no longer use the food that is forced upon me as an excuse. My room has only a microwave and fridge. Seeing as the four major food groups of primal eating are meat, vegetables, fruit, and nuts, this will probably be easier than a conventional diet. Both fruit and nuts (and seeds) can be eaten raw. Even most vegetables can be eaten raw (though I would prefer them cooked). While I'm open to additional suggestions, I've determined that the best way to get my veggies is to stick to frozen and canned, as those can easily be microwaved. The thing I need to figure out is the meat and fish part. I've already been buying frozen precooked chicken and I'm intending to buy ham, which also comes precooked. But I need suggestions when it comes to the raw stuff. Are there precooked beef and pork (other than ham) products? Is it possible to cook beef or pork in the microwave and have it not be totally terrible? What about fish? I know many groceries will cook fish for customers, but this will be in vegetable oil and might even be breaded. Obviously not ideal, and I'm hoping to come close to ideal as possible. I've already made sacrifices by buying factory-farmed chicken from Tyson and nitrate-loaded Spam. Last, but certainly not least, what about eggs? I've considered boiling water in the microwave to make hard-boiled eggs, but I see myself growing tired of that. Is it possible to cook eggs in the microwave? Is there such a thing as pre-cooked eggs? As with everything else, I would prefer quality sources. Before joining the Navy, I would eat pastured eggs I bought at Whole Foods. I would assume that if I could even find precooked eggs, they would not be pastured.

Oh, just one small restriction. I only have 45 minutes for lunch every day. Breakfast doesn't matter since I practice intermittent fasting by condensing my feeding period and dinner isn't as restrictive, but it is the military, so timeliness does help.

Thanks in advance

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just get a camp stove, pot, and a frying pan, dude! They don't take much space and will take this from very tough to easy as pie.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about anything else, but eggs are certainly microwaveable. Put about a tablespoon of water in a cup, break the egg in, nuke for about 45 seconds, stand for another 15 or so: you have a poached egg. Do the same with butter instead of water, and stir: you have scrambled egg.

atmetal is offline Senior Member
    I can't use anything combustible like a camp stove. I don't know what other A schools are like, but mine is very similar to a college campus and I'm living in dorm-like conditions.

And orielwen, how do I modify your directions for multiple eggs? Before the Navy, I used to eat as many as nine eggs at a time.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I get good results from microwaving chicken. Cut breast or thigh meat into chunks or strips(take any bones out, sadly, as they can act funny in the microwave). Zap it for three minutes, then check for doneness, turning the pieces as required. Depending on size, mine cook in 3-6 minutes.
    Great for eating as is, on salads, in soups.

cma77 is offline Member
    Can you use a George Foreman grill or a toaster/convection oven? The GF especially is pretty quick and cleanup is pretty minimal too. You'd be able to cook burgers, boneless skinless chicken thighs, salmon (although that might make your roommates hate you ) etc....add some frozen/canned veggies, fruit and some good fats and I think you'll be set. The toaster oven takes longer but you could precook meat for your dinner and just reheat it when you're ready.

You can also get one of those egg poacher thingies for the microwave and you can make multiples and save a bit of time.
    Last edited by cma77; 06-30-2012 at 03:19 PM.

ekczirak is offline Junior Member
    Steaming fresh veggies is extremely easy in the microwave. Just put some cut veggies in a plastic ziploc bag with a little bit of water or butter. Close the bag most of the way making sure to leave a little space for venting. It then only takes a couple minutes in the micro. For example, broccoli , squash and zucchini only take about 2 minutes. You could also cook frozen veggies this way. I personally much prefer fresh or frozen over canned. Hope this helps!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    What about a crock pot at least? You can put meat in overnight while you sleep so it is never unsuperived then pop it in the fridge in the morning after breakfast. No limit to what you can cook if you can do that.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    How about electric hot plate, they are very cheap. Then you can cook whatever you want just like on stove top.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    How about electric hot plate, they are very cheap. Then you can cook whatever you want just like on stove top.
    x2 just check your regs they may not allow hot plates either. But a hot plate, frying pan, small pot is all you need.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast