Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staying primal with only a microwave and a fridge page 2

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Agreed on the crockpot - for your needs that's about ideal. Easy to use, makes loads of leftovers in minimal time.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Agreed on the crockpot - for your needs that's about ideal. Easy to use, makes loads of leftovers in minimal time.
    My daughter had a george foreman grill in the barracks: Just hide it when the health and comfort inspections come around. You can do eggs in the microwave or get a hot pot and boil them in that. Crockpots: Maybe iffy unless you run them overnight. A lot of the groceries will steam seafood for you and there is a bunch of decent stuff: canned fish, chicken, etc in the commissary. The steamfresh veggies are the best bet there.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Saw this on an infomercial~ might be an option~

https://www.nuwavecooktop.com/?ref_v...FUQaQgodj07ZUA

atmetal is offline Senior Member
    My restrictions don't derive from the inspections. Yes, I'm not allowed to have any cooking appliances like a GF grill or a hot plate, but I have a whole closet that they won't check to easily hide that stuff in. My issue comes from the smoke potential. Most, if not all of the appliances described above don't cause smoke by themselves, but fats and oils have smoke points, and sugars can burn. I would be risking the fire alarm going off in the entire building. A Crockpot doesn't have this problem, but cooking something overnight would require me to clean up in the morning and store the food in the fridge. As it is, I barely have enough time to shower and shave.

I guess I have to reiterate that I'm looking for creative ways to cook whole foods in the microwave. For instance, I know that sticking a steak in the microwave for long enough will make it go from raw to cooked, but I'm trying to find solutions to the inevitable in which it will probably be the worst steak I've ever had.

Paleobird Guest
    Most of the objections to cooking meat in the micro are texture issues. This can be fixed by slicing the meat up and putting it in some kind of sauce before cooking such as a curry sauce. Wolfgang Puck has a really good line of tomato based sauces that have all real ingredients. If the meat is all wet while cooking it absorbs the sauce and doesn't come out with any "weird" texture.

Fresh veggies in the micro are a snap. You just need a dish with a cover.

Cut your meat into 1/2 inch cubes and place in a bowl with with veggies. ( mushrooms cauliflower broccoli carrots etc)
    Season to taste. Place a pat of butter (or 2) on top and cover loosely. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and check doneness.

Easy as pie!

Bob

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Microwavable Mini Steamer does half a bag of frozen veggies
    Microwavable Four Egg Poacher
    Look for a small food steamer at the thrift store, this is good for veggies, Italian sausages, makes "perfect boiled eggs", etc very handy.
    Last edited by springnr; 07-01-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12