Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Experiment to see what improvements can be gained with minimal work-outs page

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member

An Experiment to see what improvements can be gained with minimal work-outs

Primal Fuel
    I figure this is going to be more of a journal than a fitness thing so hence dumping it here, though I won't scare people by sharing to many of the inner workings of my mind

So life's pretty hectic right now, and while I would happliy do excercise stuff all the time (oh to spend my days surfing, mountain biking, snowboarding, power-kiting, hiking, learning parkour etc etc) I value not pissed of wifey rather highly

So this is what I am now aiming for;

Tuesday: Sprint - all out run max pace till have to stop, when I can breath again, repeat till done 8 runs.

Thusday: Run, I've just started up again. I like running, I really like the exhausted from hard work, but feeling like you've done something good feeling at the end. Last run was my first timed, serious run in ages, did 3 miles in 30 mins, no soreness the next day, mixed surface trail, ran in my skele-toes with no prbs. If I can cont. to improve I want to enter a 10 mile trail run in October

Saturday: LHT, I'm doing the Primal Blueprint Fitness bodyweight excercises. I've got the old version with 5 movements. Currently at:
    43 push-ups max first set, then mid to low 30s, then mid to high 20's 2nd and 3rd sets

Pull-ups; I can do 4 neutral grip pull ups each set, or there abouts, but I keep pulling something in my left arm that I damaged doing a mass wood chopping session for my aging parents, then made worse digging a trench with a mattock in rather tough rock groung/solid rock, so i'm backing off to having my legs on a chair in front of me for a few weeks, I can do 20+ reps each set.

Squats; can do full 50 reps, sometimes do 50 reps holding 16lbs + baby, can even do quite a lot of reps with 36lbs 3 YO till she gets bored.

Overhead press; Feet on ground I can do 3 sets of 20 so time to move up to elevated feet.

Planks; up to foot/hand planks, but arms get tired before abs do, so often do one set at this level on as long as I can on foot/elbow planks 2nd set, same on 3rd.

My goals are to get up to full level on all sets on PBF (IIRC = 3 x 50 push-up, 3 x 12 pull up, 3 x 50 squats, 3 x 12 overhead presses and knee/elbow planks90secs front/45secs each side) and run 10 miles by October

I will also be walking a couple of hours a week at least, often with baby attached for extra work-out and playing whenever the chance arises.

I intend to post up progress, and would be interested to hear others opinions on how effective this will be.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    If my 66 year old husband can drop over thirty pounds without doing any exercise, you'll be successful.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

I hope so, we shall see how much I improve, I imgaine I will get quick gains in the running, but previously I have been stuck at a wall from 6 miles.

Probably should add in my stats too, just for completeness.

I'm 5'11, male, 36 (mental age about 14 - farts are still funny) I'm 16st 5lbs, which is 228 lbs, I'm arround 20 - 22% body fat, lean mass is about 193 lbs. I've not dropped any weight on the scales for a bit, but I think I've got leaner, my waist is now down to below 40 inches - YAY, started at 48 inches.

ETA - my start weight was 270 lbs
    Last edited by Tribal Rob; 06-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

So starting this yesterday I did my LHT, today - move slowly, I nice walk round one of the local nature reserves, just under an hour and about 3 miles covered.

Yesterday was another move (very) slowly day Monday is typically housework day, oh I'm soooo exciting, do tidied, cleaned and hovered for a few hours in the morning. Took the girls to the park in the afternoon, baby in the sling, walking at 3 year old pace, so another hour or move very very slowly.

Today was sprint day again 8 sprints on the nearest playing field, 2 up hill, 6 on the flat. I now have very wet toes from running in skeletoes on early morning dew soaked grass.

Still struggling with where to sprint regually or what shoes to wear? If I sprint on tarmac, like I did last week I wreck the toes on my shoes, so that's out, on the other hand most other places are wet or muddy right now????

In terms of progress, out of breathness seems to be lessening while sprinting and time to recover seems to be shortening, however, I can't go quite as fast on wet grass as I can on dry so it could be this?
    Last edited by Tribal Rob; 07-03-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Another hour of walking with baby in sling to make baby sleepy, so that's a good 2 hours already this week.

Observation #1 - toe shoes and mud is very strange feeling
    Observation #3 - Carrying weight (over 16lbs) on your fron't makes stones more pointy

And some more move slowly, another 40mins walking to make baby sleep again
    I'm really pleased I've got my minimum move slowly in already, not recording it often makes me wonder if I've done enough.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that your workouts are not minimal enough.

I've been doing 5BX, except the cardio part (so really, more like 4BX) twice a week. When I started I could do 8 proper push-ups. Now (a couple of months later) I can do 28 pushups.

That seems minimal enough to me.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Ha maybe I could do less, I do really like working out though, plus I want to run a marathon before I turn 40 so I reckon I need to start doing so kinda cardio work.

I have designed the most minimal work-out for my OH as she hates working out. Using tabata intervals, so 20 seconds on 10 off, x 8. (20 x 2 leg assisted pull ups) x 4 & (20 x wall push-up) x 4, 2 times a week, so 8 mins a week

So yesterday was the worst food day ever since going primal, I didn't eat a single proper meal or a single vegetable. We had to go out early as the OH was helping a friend with a very stressful situation. So I took the kids to supermaket cafe for breakfast, I a coffe with cream (my second) Small one insisted on a kids lunch box, and had a tummy ache after all the wheat.

Then the stressfull thing went wrong so I had more coffe in the cafe while looking after kids. We were going to a friends house for a brew afterwards, but as it was now nearly lunch time we got some snacks from the supermarket. So my first meal of the day was pork scratching, beef jerky and some a few lemon and corriander cashews, and few salted cashews, oh and 25g of 85% chocolate

We took the kids to ikea om the way home (strange I know but they love it). The orginal plan was to have lunch there, meatballs, yum. Though I have lost the taste for them now so didn't have any - I ate half a meat ball just to check, and tried a bite of chip (fries) spat that out, it tasted foul. Me and OH were frayed with stress of the day, so we fell back on eating high sugar crap at the end of the day (ok it was gluten free crap but it was still crap) Coconut macarrons, chocolate chip cookies. Don't know what it is about being stressed and mentaly exhauseted that does this, but normally my sweet tooth as gone and this stuff would be too much, but it hit the spot last night. We also split a bottle of diet coke (500ml)

Still I managed anothe hour + baby putting to sleep walk covering about 3.5 miles so I'm at about 4 hours walking this week.

Went for my run this morning - same route as last week. Time down to 27 mins for 3 miles, that's a big improvement, I really felt like I was going much faster. I do think losing extra weight is going to make the biggest difference to improving my times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast