Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I get all that fat into my diet? page

How do I get all that fat into my diet?

Shop Now
    I've been trying to get most of my calories from fat, but I'm having problems finding good sources. I've been literally drinking coconut oil. I know this isn't bad, but I need a little variety.

I had sausage for breakfast today, bacon yesterday. I have been eating a lot of avacadoes, but I don't want to make myself sick of them.

I'm trying not to eat too much protein, and I haven't been eating grains or sugar for 3 weeks.

WHERE'S THE FAT?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Settle down . Did you know fatty meats (think 80/20 ground beef is 65% Calories in Ground Beef 80/20 - Nutrition Facts & Other Nutritional Information | LIVESTRONG.COM) and many kinds of roasts are more than 60% fat by calorie on their own? That is without adding anything at all to the mix! So eat and enjoy the fat as part of the meal. Cook your veggies and eggs in a bit of butter or coconut oil and thats all you have to do!

For some extra benefit find some fatty bone in meats to cook whole in a slow cooker. Cook whole chickens, large roasts, pork shoulder....so on and so forth. Throw some veggies in to absorb the drippings and enjoy the benefits of eating healthy fat and a simple bone broth all in one.

Thank you, Neckhammer. I really appreciate the input. I'll try to relax.

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, how about high fat cuts of meat, a few nuts, fatty fish like mackerel, sardines or salmon to name a few, olives, and of course more avocados and MORE BACON!

Tercio

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    No problemo. The point really is that you don't have to go out of your way to avoid fatty cuts of meat. And when you tend to prefer these fattier cuts...like they do in traditional hunter/gatherer society, you get to that perfect ratio of protein/fat without even having to count or think about it.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohannaAnderson View Post
    I'm trying not to eat too much protein, and I haven't been eating grains or sugar for 3 weeks.
    Why are you avoiding protein? Are you in renal failure? Unless you have a medical reason to avoid protein, you should be eating a fair amount.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

FrankiG is offline Member
    What about carbohydrates? I'm also curious about why you are focused on getting the majority of your calories from fat. Is there a particular health issue you're dealing with that makes you eschew primal/paleo sources of carbs (vegetables, fruits, nuts/seeds)?
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)
    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankiG View Post
    I'm also curious about why you are focused on getting the majority of your calories from fat.
    That's kind of the basis of primal, most of the calories are supposed to come from fat. Fat>Protein>Carbs.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Why are you avoiding protein? Are you in renal failure? Unless you have a medical reason to avoid protein, you should be eating a fair amount.
    Could I ask you a question ?
    You seem to be a great source of informations

Is there such a thing as too much protein for optimal health ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

FrankiG is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    That's kind of the basis of primal, most of the calories are supposed to come from fat. Fat>Protein>Carbs.
    Not in my reading of it - not fearing fat, enjoying eating fat as part of your diet, realizing fat is not 'unhealthy' to consume if it's from the right sources, and getting some calories from it are all part of primal. But the *majority* (which to me means <50%) from fat is not something widely recommended for everyone and seems a bit strange to me (unless there are some other health issues at play that make it necessary...but I really don't see ANY WAY to argue that paleolithic humans consumed 50%+ of their daily food from fat sources). The more common ratios I've seen are a more evenly split between the three nutrients (examples such as these - it varies person to person):
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)
    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast