Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wendler's 5/3/1 with Boring but Big assistance - how much to eat? page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Wendler's 5/3/1 with Boring but Big assistance - how much to eat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In the 5/3/1 book, Wendler advises simply to eat eat eat. Now, this I can do. Oh boy can I! Combined with primal clean calories this should be optimal, but I don't think Wendler has seen the damage I can do to pork belly, lamb, and sweet potatoes.

How many calories do other lifters here aim for? I'm 6ft/182cm and around 13 stone/85 kg last time I checked which was a while ago!

emerson is offline Member
    I'm, 5'11" 170lb and just switched from SS after nine months to 5/3/1 with BW assistance, in the first cycle now, SS got me to 5x5 285lb squat and 340 dead. My cal on lift days are well above 3000, and between 2200-2500 on "rest" days, follow convict conditioning progression just for fun and to put the work day behind me on rest days. I up it a little on those days if I'm going to sprint. 100% clean diet except for the occasional street cart tacos.
    Last edited by emerson; 06-30-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks Emerson, good info!

canuk_caveman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    In the 5/3/1 book, Wendler advises simply to eat eat eat. Now, this I can do. Oh boy can I! Combined with primal clean calories this should be optimal, but I don't think Wendler has seen the damage I can do to pork belly, lamb, and sweet potatoes.

How many calories do other lifters here aim for? I'm 6ft/182cm and around 13 stone/85 kg last time I checked which was a while ago!
    iv'e got about the same stats - 6'1 and 185 also doing 531 BBB. i'm doing 4000 calories on workout days.

4000 cals, nice

It's a great program, I think I started too light despite that being what Wendler recommends - yesterday was 3x3 squats and my final set was 15 at 67.5kg! BBB after that was a pleasntly hard exercise!

He doesn't advise going up any more than 5kg in each lift per cycle so I'll have to go with it!

i love the simplicity of BBB. main lift, then 5x10 followed by 1 assistance exercise. switching up the assistance exercises is what keeps it fresh for me. what do you do? so far for me:

- squat: hanging leg raises or hamstring cable curl (my gym doesn't have a reverse hyper or i'd do those as well)
    - deads: sames as above or weighted incline sit-ups
    - bench: db rows, barbell rows, incline bench, db bench
    - press: weighted dips, plate raises, cable face pulls

if you started too light you can always recalculate your max based on the 3x15 set.

Same here, BBB takes all the guess work out!

I do dips, chins, pull-ups, DB flys, sit ups.

Need to incorporate DB rows (Form needs improvement), barbell pullovers (Recommended on 20 rep squat scene), and hanging knee raises.

I generally avoid machines, I've never trained with them so once I get good at dips etc I'll buy a weights vest and keep a 'whole body' approach to the assistance exercises.

Same here, BBB takes all the guess work out!

I do dips, chins, pull-ups, DB flys, sit ups.

Need to incorporate DB rows (Form needs improvement), barbell pullovers (Recommended on 20 rep squat scene), and hanging knee raises.

I generally avoid machines, I've never trained with them so once I get good at dips etc I'll buy a weights vest and keep a 'whole body' approach to the assistance exercises.
    just bought this for weighted dips and pull ups. it's pricey but i want something of high quality and it needs to be portable.

De Rigueur Dipping Belt for weighted dips, chins - IronMind-Ironmind Enterprises

review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HD-gXwdFeAY

i'm going to try out those pull overs too.
    Last edited by canuk_caveman; 07-02-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Looks like a good product, I'll add it to my list!

SonGoku is offline Junior Member
    4000 cals, nice

It's a great program, I think I started too light despite that being what Wendler recommends - yesterday was 3x3 squats and my final set was 15 at 67.5kg! BBB after that was a pleasntly hard exercise!
    !
    What are you numbers like? that seems very light even at 15 reps. I did 531 before i should have and it actually set me back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast