Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling a little frustrated... page

bsmith35 is offline Junior Member

Angry Feeling a little frustrated...

Primal Fuel
    I'm pretty new to the forum and this is my first post in the nutrition section. I've been doing really awesome lately with my primal nutrition but had a small setback last night...

I'm a fireman and we had a pretty massive storm roll through my city last night and we had around 45 runs in 7 hours. Two fires, a gas leak, multiple lines and trees down, auto accidents, EMS runs, etc. Ultimately I had not eaten in a long time and we were stuck on the last gas leak for about 6 hours. Go figure this was around dinner time and none us had eaten since around 1130 am. Now, normally I could easily go without eating anything for quite some time, however, after a couple of fires and burning massive amounts of calories I was starving. Of course, the crew ordered pizza to the scene and I was told it would be around 2 am before we got back to the station (it was around 7 pm now) so I ate about 5 slices. I am so PISSED at myself but I needed energy. My chief pretty much ordered me to eat in case we had another fire. We didn't get back in quarters until around 130 am and I was exhausted. I know the 80/20 rule exists but to be honest I don't like to do that because it opens doors that I want to keep closed...also, I almost threw up all the pizza because it made me sick and I really didn't want to eat it. I just wanted to eat. I'm back as usual today and will cut some calories and take a couple probiotics to hopefully get that nasty stuff outta my system.

Okay sorry. I'm done venting now.

Now for a nutrition question...

Over the last few weeks I've been 100% primal. I've decreased from 177 lbs to 164 lbs without blinking an eye. I've tailored my diet as advised in Mark's book. My macro breakdown is as follows:

Calories :1815
    Fat: 125
    Protein: 100 (using .7 as a factoring number)
    Carbs: 75

After about two weeks (not counting my pizza binge last night grrrrrrrr) I am averaging pretty close to my goals:

12 days of averages:

Calories: 1819
    Fat: 121
    Protein: 103
    Carbs: 92

So as you can see I've done pretty good and I feel like I am at good weight. I really now just want to lose BF%. My first measurement was 22.7% and 12 days later I'm 20.5%. I start crossfit tomorrow (around 3 days per week) and would like to build some muscle and lean out. Any advice on how to change my macros? I am going to increase my carbs to over 100 but wasn't sure if I should go any higher with the fat or protein? I just want to be lean and around 10% BF is my ultimate goal. I do not want to be a muscle head. Any advice would be great!!! Thanks to all of you for this awesome website/forum/community!!!

Brian

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes circumstances just work out that way. Best not to get upset about it and just get back on track when you have control over what you can eat. Sometimes you don't have a choice. Just suck it up, enjoy the pizza, and eat primal when you have the chance.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If you cut calories in an attempt to "make up" for poor eating, especially when you are so active, that just adds more stress to the body. Nourish yourself with good food.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    You're not eating enough calories in my opinion.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    that does seem low cals for a guy..
    pizza not gonna hurt you the one time,
    especially considering the workout you were getting at work.
    btw, thanks for being there!!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    1800 calories for a fireman? I'm a software coder and that's about what I eat. 80/20 is for when the boss orders you to eat pizza.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    If you're not crazy about eating the "whole piece" of pizza, just eat the toppings off em and have more slices:-)If your boss complains about the waste, just give him the crusts!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    He is trying to lose weight, and it is working. As long as he isn't sluggish why should he increase calories while trying to lose fat? That makes no sense.

bsmith35 is offline Junior Member
    I do feel pretty sluggish some days...I usually feel better if I gravitate closer to 2200 - 2400 calories/day. I am losing weight but I've been hovering around 165 lbs and I would like to stay here. I just want to decrease the BF %. Any tips? Also thanks for all the replies!!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Strength training (dunno how your box will operate) helps your body to prioritize retention of lean body mass even when your eating at a caloric deficit. So just adding that will make sure that the extra calories burnt come from body fat. I wouldn't be hitting the box more than 2-3x/week though....especially with your job. And if you are feeling a bit sluggish...especially when CF is added in just eat more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast