Thread: Heat intolerance page

parrottrl is offline Member

Heat intolerance

Primal Fuel
    I'm new here, but I searched MDA as best I could. I don't know if anyone has solved this issue, but here goes...

Ever since childhood, I have had problems adapting to high temperatures (85F and higher especially). I have never been a super water drinker; I drink when I'm thirsty and when I feel a reasonable fear of dehydration. When the weather is too warm (indoors or outside), I feel really sapped, tired, overheated, and a little sick. I also can't get good quality sleep in the summer. I grew up in this climate, so it's not that I've changed my environment. It's 'always' been like this for me. I'm a Type I (juvenile) diabetic, if that matters, with hypothyroidism.

I want to go outside and move around more, but not if it takes 36 - 48 hours to recover from it.

Any suggestions?

Rachel

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have very active work outside in the desert sun, and when I started 5 years ago it was hell on earth. I was used to being in an office most of the time and in my house the rest of the time. The only heat I got was on the way to or from my car. Now I'm out in in all day and I still say "This really sucks!" but I don't feel it anywhere near as badly as I used to.

It's going to take some getting used to, but I can't see there being any other way besides just doing it. I kind of see heat tolerance like building up muscle. If you don't ever use it, your body doesn't think you need it.

My advice would be to make sure you stay hydrated AND keep your electrolytes up, espcially if you're in Georgia where the humidity is going to make you sweat like crazy anyway. Coconut water is a little high in carbs if that's something you're worried about, but it works wonders for keeping the right mineral balance so you don't end up with a nasty headache or worse. And try just being in the heat for longer periods of time before you get into a full blown workout when the temps are high. It's going to take some time. Wish there was a way around it, but there isn't without causing some serious damage.

I'm not sure how the diabetes ties into this whole thing, but for some reason it wouldn't surprise me if that was an issue that needed some special consideration. Hopefully some of the others will have more information on that aspect.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    Having lived there I think summer in the south does that to nearly everyone. Try to do your outside activities early in the morning if possible. Drink enough that your urine is fairly clear. Do you use salt? Too bad sweet tea isn't primal. They say you can raise heat tolerance by slowly increasing your exposure to it, but not to the point of getting sick. Fall will come.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I do all errands, greenhouse and yard work in the mornings..
    High quality treadmill inside, you can even sprint on it, just be careful.
    Green tea with lime really keeps me hydrated plus loads, about 55 oz., of filtered water daily.
    Of course eating fewer calories (fuel) will keep you cool.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I can't jog outside anything above 20 C during the day especially if the sun is out. It is way too hot for me and I have trouble breathing. I also live in the city and there's way too many cars driving, I really don't feel like inhaling that much pollution. I take my running indoors and I try to wear as little clothing as possible without me offending anyone at the gym.

One of the thing I do as well is I shower with cool water before I workout. Then do my warm up at the gym when i get there. This helps my body adjust temperature and sip really cold water while workout.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parrottrl View Post
    with hypothyroidism.
    Right there is half the answer. Your thyroid helps regulate body temperature.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I don't like excess heat either. Never really have. Not a sun worshiper either. I don't consider it a health issue or a character flaw.

I move around outdoors mostly in the early and late parts of the day. Stay hydrated and out of the sun in the heat of the day. In the summer I'm more of a nightowl. Fortunately I'm self employed, summer is my slowest time of the year, so I don't have to work 9 to 5.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

parrottrl is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's some food for thought.

Honestly, if I haven't adjusted to the southern heat/humidity combo after 32 years living in it, I doubt I ever will through exposure alone. It's after midnight and 84F inside my house. I feel like I've been rolled by a steamroller. Outside, obviously, somewhat worse.

I can't do the coconut water thing. I'm trying to keep my daily carbs between 30 and 70. I don't think I could do it with that added in.

My thyroid tested normal last week (1.2). I'm taking levothyroxine (100mg). I'm hoping to add more iodine and manganese to my diet either via food or supplements. Kelp is...difficult to find here.

I did some power walking around the local Walmart tonight. It was crowded and cool and no one noticed me.

Thanks for all the suggestions!