Thread: The Omega Mystery page

Artbuc is offline Senior Member

The Omega Mystery

Primal Fuel
    Wow! The more I read, the more I realize we don't know squat about how much or in what ratio we need O6 and O3. Chris Kresser says the ratio should be 2.3/1 but newer studies say the ratio is not at all important. CK says you can take full credit for plant sourced ALA, but others say ALA to DHA/EPA is so inefficient we shouldn't take credit for it. CK says to focus on DHA only but others say EPA is also critical. CK says new studies show long term fish oil supplementation is unhealthy and could cause sudden death. MDA says to take 1-3 g/d DHA/EPA in the form of fish oil.

Am I missing something? Are there definitive studies which guide Omega intake from whole foods and/or supplements or do we simply not really know?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe CK is full of crap. I dunno.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You would have to list your sources a bit better if you want some intelligent response to the data:

"newer studies say the ratio is not at all important"....which studies?

"...others others say ALA to DHA/EPA is so inefficient we shouldn't take credit for it" .....Who are these others?

"others say EPA is also critical".....again others?

Without actually delving into whatever data you may have to present its generally known that eating Primal will significantly reduce your O6 consumption. That improves your ratio to a degree that to bring your O3 up to snuff just eating some fatty fish a couple times a week would get you there.....without supplementation.

PUFAS have been found to be the least stable of the fats and prone to oxidative damage, which is why just pounding down bottles of fish oil at a time isn't the best option. And also 6 and 3's are toxic in too high of quantity. So lowering 6 THEN eating enough 3 to balance out is the way to do it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 06-30-2012 at 02:30 PM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    We don't "need" omega 3s.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    We don't "need" omega 3s.
    I'm sorry, this is completely wrong. You have to have them and you can't make them. Hence the "essential" part of the term "essential fatty acids"

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm sorry, this is completely wrong. You have to have them and you can't make them. Hence the "essential" part of the term "essential fatty acids"
    Nope, bogus. We were all just fine Before Fish.
    Your Ideas About Lipids Are*Offensive - The Danny Roddy Weblog - Nutrition For Sex, Hair & Health

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Fish aren't the only source of Omega 3 PUFA's. I agree that recent research suggests that limiting overall consumption of PUFA's might be a better plan than trying to balance a ridiculously high Omega 6 intake with megadoses of Omega 3. But that doesn't change the fact that you need some EPA & DHA.

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Fish aren't the only source of Omega 3 PUFA's. I agree that recent research suggests that limiting overall consumption of PUFA's might be a better plan than trying to balance a ridiculously high Omega 6 intake with megadoses of Omega 3. But that doesn't change the fact that you need some EPA & DHA.
    ^This. SAD eaters may be better just bringing down their O6 levels, but you need both at whatever "natural" levels are.