Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does unhealthy food taste good and (sometimes) the other way around? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Why does unhealthy food taste good and (sometimes) the other way around?

Primal Fuel
    I don't get it, if your knows so well what's good for itself, why does ice cream taste so good and, for example, liver or seaweed make me gag?
    I've been wondering about this my entire life
    Billie trips balls

Bron is offline Senior Member
    sugar in the former (plus milk tastes nice too) and mindset for the latter? in those places where liver or seaweed forms a part of the diet, people are used to it, just like we're used to steak or eggs.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Maturity? All my primal food tastes good to me
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Maturity? All my primal food tastes good to me
    This...

And to add to that store bought/traditional sweet products such as ice cream (only the good stuff) are overwhelmingly sweet now. One bite and I'm done... it TOO much.
    For a birthday dinner out a while back I split a Creme Brulee with someone... but it was well tempered by a cup of espresso to cut the sweetness.
    I really have to make my own less sweet versions If I want something like that at home.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

wiltondeportes Guest
    "Unhealthy" food that tastes good is very energy dense with little mineral or vitamin density. Also, "unhealthy" food can be harder on the body's digestive, glandular, and other systems. It basically tastes good because our body is craving energy, and you have already taught it that this food in question contains a lot of energy. Taste is a very pre-primal element of our biology that we cannot control. We evolved it to choose things that gave us plenty of energy. Cravings, on the other hand, are programmable in my experience. Teach the body that this food in question loses to other food in terms of mineral/vitamin density; teach it that it causes stress and strain on the body.

Healthy food that tastes bad is kind of relative to that particular food. Seaweed is overrated in my opinion. There's enough iodine in beef, for instance, if you eat like a pound a day. I do like the taste of dulse (the soft form not the dried/brittle form) though because it's just salty. Liver will taste way better to you if you cook it less. Liver was eaten raw right after a kill during a hunt in a lot of socities. Try baking it in the oven at 300 degrees for just a short amount of time. Done right, it's very juicy.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-30-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    "Unhealthy" food that tastes good is very energy dense with little mineral or vitamin density. Also, "unhealthy" food can be harder on the body's digestive, glandular, and other systems. It basically tastes good because our body is craving energy, and you have already taught it that this food in question contains a lot of energy. Taste is a very pre-primal element of our biology that we cannot control. We evolved it to choose things that gave us plenty of energy. Cravings, on the other hand, are programmable in my experience. Teach the body that this food in question loses to other food in terms of mineral/vitamin density; teach it that it causes stress and strain on the body.

Healthy food that tastes bad is kind of relative to that particular food. Seaweed is overrated in my opinion. There's enough iodine in beef, for instance, if you eat like a pound a day. I do like the taste of dulse (the soft form not the dried/brittle form) though because it's just salty. Liver will taste way better to you if you cook it less. Liver was eaten raw right after a kill during a hunt in a lot of socities. Try baking it in the oven at 300 degrees for just a short amount of time. Done right, it's very juicy.
    Raw liver? Yesterday I tried eating raw liver but I had to stop chewing every 2 seconds because I could feel my stomach cramping and if I continued chewing I would've probably threw up
    Billie trips balls

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Raw liver? Yesterday I tried eating raw liver but I had to stop chewing every 2 seconds because I could feel my stomach cramping and if I continued chewing I would've probably threw up
    You didn't get it fresh from the animal though. Who knows what the difference might be there. I recommend my light cooking method...

I occasionally 'crave' liver for its benefits, but I don't think it ever tastes extraordinarily good. If it did, we would eat it more often and be killing ourselves from toxicity of its rich Vitamin A content (and possibily its unique copper amount but I found no research to back that up).
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 06-30-2012 at 03:54 AM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    If berries tasted "too good", more people in the wild might kill themselves from excess fiber consumption leading to stool compaction. There are real stories from the Kung Bushmen that this occurs on occasion with them. So, taste can regulate the desire to consume foods as well as the desire to not consume too much of a particular food.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    If berries tasted "too good", more people in the wild might kill themselves from excess fiber consumption leading to stool compaction. There are real stories from the Kung Bushmen that this occurs on occasion with them. So, taste can regulate the desire to consume foods as well as the desire to not consume too much of a particular food.
    Well, even without liver I get like 3 mg copper and 10500 IU vitamin A. According to cronometer this is more than enough. (3x as much as I need). Maybe that's why I hate the taste? Would the body be that advanced?
    Billie trips balls

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Well, even without liver I get like 3 mg copper and 10500 IU vitamin A. According to cronometer this is more than enough. (3x as much as I need). Maybe that's why I hate the taste? Would the body be that advanced?
    I can't answer that specifically because there's no golden rule to it all. However, I know salt can taste amazing if you are needing minerals or annoying if you don't.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast