Thread: Report on Michelob Ultra Beer page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

Your intrepid reporter here, suffering carbs to bring my readers into the PB lifestyle.

I mentioned in my previous 4th of July posting that I was going to try some of this brew. Someone asked me to weigh in on it.

Beer is not my beverage of choice, but I definitely lean to heavy ones, microbrews, and for plain vanilla not days sometimes, PBR. (Pabst Blue Ribbon for the uninitiated.)

I found out that Ultra is not only available in conventional syle, but Amber. Hooray!

The envelope, please: It's certainly passable. It's none of the great ones listed above, but it ain't bad. And it's a lot better than no beer when you want one. Fitday even has it listed. Ninety four calories, 2.6 carbs.

Related, I found a site recently that listed all the beers with carbs, alc content, etc. There's a new beer out, Miller "40", only 40 calories. Well, pretty easy to do when you dilute it almost 50%. Half the alcohol of even a lite beer.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Ha, I literally just had a Michelob Ultra Amber! Though Daily Plate says 114 calories and 4 grams of carbs. I think they're definitely passable, not my favorite, but the best light beer I've tasted. It's no oatmeal stout

I also had a super primal grass fed beef hamburger with tomato, grilled onion, sauteed mushrooms, and wrapped in big lettuce leaves. Oh and a nice big salad. Awesome 4th of July dinner

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

LabRat Guest

I slot beer firmly under "20, indulgences" and only drink the best when I do- then again, my general rule is that if I'm going to cheat, it has to be on the "oh hell yeah, that was worth it" scale.

Then again, we also brew our own... giving away a whole lot of beer lately. *sigh*

Labrat, I've "downgraded" a whole lot of things while I'm in weight loss mode. Turkey products instead of the real thing, Ultra beer instead of the good stuff, diet soda instead of the sugary kind. (I historically drink very, very little soda, so what little I did was Mexican with real sugar, not HFCS. A better poison, sugar.)

I'm willing to adapt to these sub-standard products to see the pounds come off.

LabRat Guest

OtB- it's a mindset thing. Instead of coming from a background of trying to lose weight on the "healthy" CW diet, I'm coming around from wanting to be healthier and fitter from a real-food real-good foodie background.

I get easily frustrated eating "faux" or "lite" anything- it's much easier for me to stay on track by eating good primal food and, when I indulge, having it be for something *awesome* but off-the-menu rather than settling for less than awesome more often.

I.e. wild mushroom risotto and a home-brewed IPA with another foodie friend... no regrets. Budweiser, no special occasion... no way.

Sounds like you are not trying to lose weight, LR. When eating real bacon for instance, the calories shoot way up relative to the protein. To get 100g a day of protein from pork and beef would put the calories way over anything useful.

Turkey bacon, far better for someone trying to lose weight. The kielbasa or smoked sausage tastes just like a lean version of the piggy kind. I found some preformed turkey sausage patties and I tell you, they are very good! No deprivation there!

I'll be eating the real stuff again in 2010. That's my goal, 200 pounds by New Years.

LabRat Guest

But I am. And I am, in fact, losing plenty of fat, though not so much weight- the scale number's only changed about seven pounds, but I'm heading pretty quickly into needing to address the "new clothes, when" question.

Partly the workout schedule I'm on burns plenty of calories, partly the high fat consumption keeps my appetite regulated to the point where the meals I don't IF are usually small. Partly also it's that I was never obese or even significantly overweight- not as many bad food habits to break, just different choices.

And partly detailed food tracking just drives me nuts and would demotivate me- like I said, different headsets work for different people. I admire the speed at which you're reshaping your body, but your approach would never work for me. Fortunately, mine seems to be doing fine.

Catalina is offline Member

PrimalCon New York

Thanks for the report, OTB. I'll give it a try as the weather warms up. I'm like you in that I know there are certain things I'll be shying away from until I lose some weight (like I'm cutting some fruits and not trying some of the yummy-looking primal desserts yet).