Thread: Zucchini Cakes with Tomatillo Cilantro Salsa page

JBailey is offline Senior Member

Zucchini Cakes with Tomatillo Cilantro Salsa

A friend posted this on facebook, but what would y'alls replace the 2/3 cup flour with? What kind of fat for frying?

Zucchini Cakes with Tomatillo Cilantro Salsa - Hispanic Kitchen
    patties.jpg

Makes about 10 cakes

Ingredients:

2 small zucchini (about 1 cup), shredded
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    1 cup corn
    1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
    1/4 cup orange bell pepper, finely diced
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
    1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crushed
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    Salt and pepper
    3 to 5 tablespoons canola oil
    Tomatillo Cilantro Salsa (see recipe below)

Directions:

1. Coarsely shred zucchini, drain on several layers of paper towels, patting dry with more paper towels.

2. In a large bowl, stir together eggs, cheese, flour, red onions, peppers, cumin seeds, oregano, pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in zucchini and corn.

3. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil to medium heat/high heat. Drop by 1/4 cup full into hot skillet, and slightly flatten. Cook for about 2 minutes pe side or until golden brown. Drain onto paper towels. Keep warm in a 250 F. oven. Serve with tomatillo salsa.

For the Tomatillo Cilantro Salsa...
    Ingredients:
    8 tomatillos, husk removed and washed
    1 jalapeno, chopped
    1/2 small white onion
    Handful chopped cilantro (about 1/3 cup)
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    Salt

Directions:

Combine the tomatillos, jalapeno and onion in a glass, microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water, cover with paper towels and microwave for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from microwave, transfer to blender, add the cilantro, lime juice and 2 teaspoons salt, blend until smooth. Taste for salt, serve warm or at room temperature.
    Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I would get as much liquid as you could out of the zucchini after shredding it and then go with coconut flour (maybe less then the recipe called for - I'd try 1/2 first) and butter.

We made salmon cakes the other day - sort of similar recipe - 2 eggs, some chopped onions and stuff and for the 14oz can of salmon only had to use about 1.5 tbsp of coconut flour. They didn't stay together quite as well as a "real" salmon cakes but they stayed together enough to flip and keep their patty form.

What I did which I think may have helped was to mix everything together and then let it sit in a bowl, covered with a paper towel, in the fridge all day - I thought maybe this would help get some of the moisture out and let the coconut flour absorb the liquid better... Don't know if it did or not.

My husband hates all things coconut and liked the salmon cakes - so if you are afraid of tasting the coconut, I think in small amounts it goes undetected.

Your recipe sounds good though - I think I may try them!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I reckon a few white potatoes, boiled, then pushed through a potato ricer would work well. I use this for fish cakes and meat rissoles and it works very well.

Grunwerg Commercial Grade Potato Ricer: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

I have tried coconut flour, almond flour, flax meal etc and I don't like the result nearly as much. Im so glad that potatoes have been de-demonised!