Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh, Red Lobster, how you vex me page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Oh, Red Lobster, how you vex me

Shop Now
    Today is my father in law's birthday, and he decided to go out to Red Lobster for dinner. I looked at the menu in advance and discovered that they offered an allergen summary for all of their foods. And whoa, they have wheat/gluten and soy in almost everything! Including their steamed broccoli! (WTF?)

Here's what I found that made the wheat/gluten-free and soy-free grade:

Steamed 1.4-pound Maine lobster
    Wood-grilled fresh fish of the day
    Snow crab legs
    King crab legs
    Baked potato with sour cream
    Orange slices
    Cheesecake (!!!) with strawberries

And that's it.

So I had a garden salad without dressing or croutons, the steamed lobster (didn't even need butter, it was that sweet), and the baked potato (without skin, but with sour cream), along with 1/2 glass of wine. Wound up being very tasty.

Back at home, my inlaws had coffee cake, my husband and sons had doughnuts, and I had a cup of mint tea. (But hey, I could have, somehow, had the cheesecake at Red Lobster -- seriously, how could cheesecake be wheat- and gluten-free? And the steamed broccoli and asparagus is **not** wheat- or gluten-free? Come on. Someone's messing with me.)

cookiemonster is offline Member
    Had to register and reply to this. Last week I went to Chick-fil-a and ordered a salad-of course all the dressings had soy so I said I would just use some ranch so it came with croutons and sunflower seeds. Of course the croutons was off paleo diet but I was sure the sunflower seeds were pure as the driven snow-what possibly could they do to sunflower seeds but leave them the f alone-right? Well I looked at the ingredients-soy, some type of vegetable oil and about 10 other ingredients. I was like wtf this must be a joke-why do they do this-I guess these chains have figured we are accustomed to artificially enhanced flavors and sunflower seeds naked is just too natural for our junk food palate. It was just enlightening and frightening at the same time.
    Peace

oxide is offline Senior Member
    The broccoli is proably coated with soybean oil to make it gleam.

I checked their online menu but it doesn't list the nutritional info for condiments and sauces. I wonder how much of that melted butter is really melted butter and how much corn oil is in there. Pure butter gets expensive.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    because cheesecake is generally cream cheese, eggs, vanilla and sugar

supposed to be anyways
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Had to register and reply to this. Last week I went to Chick-fil-a and ordered a salad-of course all the dressings had soy so I said I would just use some ranch so it came with croutons and sunflower seeds. Of course the croutons was off paleo diet but I was sure the sunflower seeds were pure as the driven snow-what possibly could they do to sunflower seeds but leave them the f alone-right? Well I looked at the ingredients-soy, some type of vegetable oil and about 10 other ingredients. I was like wtf this must be a joke-why do they do this-I guess these chains have figured we are accustomed to artificially enhanced flavors and sunflower seeds naked is just too natural for our junk food palate. It was just enlightening and frightening at the same time.
    Peace
    "Enlightening and frightening." Yup, that's a perfect way to describe fast food and chain restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post

I checked their online menu but it doesn't list the nutritional info for condiments and sauces. I wonder how much of that melted butter is really melted butter and how much corn oil is in there. Pure butter gets expensive.
    Makes me even gladder that I skipped the butter!

Coating broccoli with soybean oil? Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    because cheesecake is generally cream cheese, eggs, vanilla and sugar

supposed to be anyways
    Ooh. So I suppose that cheesecakes that have a graham cracker crust are the exception to the rule? Hmm...

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Ooh. So I suppose that cheesecakes that have a graham cracker crust are the exception to the rule? Hmm...
    When it comes to cheesecake, there are no rules!
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

docfitch is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post

We were at Red Lobster awhile back and had to leave early. My wife asked for some drawn butter to take home for her lobster, and the waitress said to "use margarine, that's what we do!"

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I'm always amazed by how unchicken like chicken is at chain restaurants. Really the sit down chains are as scary if not more than fast food places.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast