Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oh, Red Lobster, how you vex me page 4

jnjordan37 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    Has anyone seen the IHOP commercials: "Did you know that all our omelets have a splash of pancake batter in them??"

I mean, I can understand that most restaurants aren't cooking in olive oil or butter... it's bad but I get it. But it's awful that Red Lobster isn't even giving you butter to dip lobster in, and that IHOP is putting pancake batter in the omelets (Even though it's to 'make them better'), because I just don't see that coming (til now).
    Putting pancake batter in their omlets makes it easier to make them 'pretty'. It also means the cooks do not have to be as good.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Has anyone started a resturant thread where people that figure out how to eat at a resturant, chain or not, can post what they ate and how they got the resturant to fix their food the way they wanted?

Kind of a single thread someone can go to if they are fixin to go out and eat with friends or family.
    I **love** this idea. Hmm. Maybe I'll call some of the chains that have restaurants near me and ask what they offer to people with wheat, soy, dairy and egg allergies.

Kiowa is offline Junior Member
    Even Chipotle isn't as good as I once thought. I was on board with this fast food restaurant because they make an effort to purchase humanly raised animals/animal products and local produce. I would get a burrito bowl (sans tortilla), I didn't mind the brown rice as I would balance it out with veggies, double steak and salsa's and walk back to work. But one day I'm waiting for the veggies to get cooked and to my horror, they were spraying them down with soy oil. I'm not sure what else is cooked in/with soy oil, but I hardly go there now.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    In the book "The End of Overeating," David Kessler interviewed one of the recipe developers at Chili's(?). They actually engineer the food to make it fall apart and produce multi-layers of taste sensation. Example: the Bloomin Onion is particles of chemically seasoned wheat batter glued together by filler oils. When you put it in your mouth the first thing you sense is the fatty quality of the oil, which warms up your brain for the pleasure that's coming. When you actually bite the batter, the oily glue instantly falls apart releasing millions of seasoned wheat particles which coat all the taste buds on your tongue simultaneously with an avalanche of flavor pops. Since the food disintigrates, it goes down easy, which adds to the addictive quality so you want more of it. It's also very FAST to eat. They want you to shovel in the cheap wheat and soy oil because it's government subsidized and therefore high profit margin. The faster you shovel, the more you need to order, more high-margin revenue for them.

I'm not sure if this is exactly how they make the Bloomin' Onion, but that's the kind of language I read in the book. That's why there are so many different additives in any prepared food. Each additive hits a different taste bud (sweet salty a little bitter). Sometimes there's a time release so you need 2-3 additives to keep the sensation going for a few seconds.

I mean think about, it they fed you real primal food, it would take forever to eat just little bit of high-quality low-profit ingredients, you would never ask for the dessert menu, and you probably wouldn't come back for a couple days. This is why no Primal restaurant would make it as a business for long.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    I mean think about, it they fed you real primal food, it would take forever to eat just little bit of high-quality low-profit ingredients, you would never ask for the dessert menu, and you probably wouldn't come back for a couple days. This is why no Primal restaurant would make it as a business for long.
    Actually, there are tons of "primal restaurants." One of my faves is an all grass-fed Argentine steakhouse in NYC, but I know many others that will fit the bill. The real and only problem is that they are all much more expensive than Applebee's on a per-calorie basis. People love PB-friendly food, it's just expensive. my roommates were oohing and ahing over my wild salmon (1/2lb) BAS dinner last night. "Primal" never came up.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

jnicholas is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiowa View Post
    Even Chipotle isn't as good as I once thought. I was on board with this fast food restaurant because they make an effort to purchase humanly raised animals/animal products and local produce. I would get a burrito bowl (sans tortilla), I didn't mind the brown rice as I would balance it out with veggies, double steak and salsa's and walk back to work. But one day I'm waiting for the veggies to get cooked and to my horror, they were spraying them down with soy oil. I'm not sure what else is cooked in/with soy oil, but I hardly go there now.
    My understanding is that the Carnitas at Chipotle are cooked sous vide but all the other meat and the pepper/onions are cooked in soybean oil. So I think a Carnitas salad with guacamole is still a pretty good buy.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Red Lobster food is all crap. Don't eat it. Run away as fast as you can from any fastfood or chain restaurants.
    Last edited by Louisa655; 07-11-2012 at 01:57 AM.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Red Lobster food is all shit. I didn't read the rest of your post because the food is just shit. Don't eat it. Run away as fast as you can.
    It was my father-in-law's birthday, and he picked the restaurant. Et la. I probably won't go there again until his next birthday...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234