Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh, Red Lobster, how you vex me page 3

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Has anyone seen the IHOP commercials: "Did you know that all our omelets have a splash of pancake batter in them??"

I mean, I can understand that most restaurants aren't cooking in olive oil or butter... it's bad but I get it. But it's awful that Red Lobster isn't even giving you butter to dip lobster in, and that IHOP is putting pancake batter in the omelets (Even though it's to 'make them better'), because I just don't see that coming (til now).

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    At least IHOP is pretty open about it. What scares me is the stuff I don't know I'm eating. Well, at least until later that day.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Note: if it's a chain restaurant, and the "butter" isn't visibly solid, it's margarine- 90/10. If it is visibly solid, it's 50/50. Never assume something called butter is butter.

Mr. O is offline Junior Member
    I went to Logan's Roadhouse on a business trip last week. I ordered a steak salad with no cheese or croutons. I then ask for "oil and vingegar." When they brought it out, I thought it didn't taste right. So I asked. It wasn't olive oil! They brought me soybean oil. I just assumed that "oil and vinegar" was olive oil and either red wine or balasmic vinegar. I won't make that mistake again. I'll make sure to ask for olive oil. They didn't have any, btw. Cheap bastards.

In my pre-primal days, I would occasionally go "low carb" for a week or two. It was easy to eat out when all I was worried about was sugar and not toxins or inflammation. It's amazing how low quality most food is when you really look into it.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    ha ha this is a good thread. I hate restaurants. You are all confirming my belief that all restaurants except maybe the most expensive ones that i could never afford anyway use total crap oils and contaminate all of their cheap sysco food with it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    What's ridiculous is that I can list several local restaurants off the top of my head that serve local (and in many cases organic) food and cost the same or less than many of the chains. I can get a beautiful brunch at a local place that has an amazing celiac menu for less than I would spend to go to Denny's.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    lol, i just googled red lobster locations and the closest one is 95 miles away!

because the real estate footprint required to house these chains is so very large, i'm out of reach of many of them. when i do get out into the burbs and am driving on the highway, often i can smell the rancid cooking oil in the air outside! blech. i can't even imagine the stink inside of them.

chains are all about consistency and much of the product comes from bags and boxes delivered from a central commissary. it ceased being food long before it got to your plate.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    when i do get out into the burbs and am driving on the highway, often i can smell the rancid cooking oil in the air outside! blech. i can't even imagine the stink inside of them.
    We have a factory in the north part of Vegas that makes food scents (possibly flavoring too). When you drive past, you suddenly smell beef stew, except... there's just something that isn't quite right. If you smell it for more than 5 seconds, you can smell the chemicals. Just a little creepy.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    We have a factory in the north part of Vegas that makes food scents (possibly flavoring too). When you drive past, you suddenly smell beef stew, except... there's just something that isn't quite right. If you smell it for more than 5 seconds, you can smell the chemicals. Just a little creepy.
    just... ew. my brain is stuttering thinking of what that stuff goes into!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone started a resturant thread where people that figure out how to eat at a resturant, chain or not, can post what they ate and how they got the resturant to fix their food the way they wanted?

Kind of a single thread someone can go to if they are fixin to go out and eat with friends or family.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast