Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory "It's hot out there" thread. page 8

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I don't know how you mainlanders can do it. I'm still getting used to the upper 90s and lower 60s in California. Before moving, I have been used to temperatures fluctuating from the mid-70s to the low 90s.
    Dunno' where you are from, but just wait until WINTER in most parts of the mainland...

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    We're supposed to be pretty low until the end of the week (around 102F with 5-10% humidity) but then we have rain in the forecast for Thursday.

SOUNDS like a great thing, but it's just going to royally suck because you have rain Thursday and then 106F on Friday - with all of the moisture still in the air from the day before.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    The reason why you sweat so much in a dry Sauna is that the temperature is generally in the range of 170-180 degrees... and may be up to about 200. Th air is dry but you are sweating faster than the evaporative cooling effect can take place which is the reason for sweat. That is a BIG difference from 90-110 degrees.
    At normal hot DRY temps evaporative cooling of sweat does make things feel better than in the WET humid climates where the air is already so saturated with water vapor that it actually makes your skin moist before you even begin to sweat. The evaporative cooling process is derailed... and you end up feeling hotter than the actual temperature of the air (thus the Heat Index... it's a temperature plus relative humidity calculation).
    Heat index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In the USAF we used to travel pretty regularly from the gulf coast/panhandle of FL to Arizona for TDY stuff... in the summer the temps were very similar, but without the humidity Arizona seemed more comfortable in some ways... the abrupt change to dry air was pretty rough on my skin though.

A similar principle applies to cold.
    Most people who live in cold dry areas like Colarado are shocked at how cold the humid areas FEEL at similar, or even higher, temperatures than they left at home if traveling.

No doubt though that regardless of wet or dry... 100 degrees is just plain HOT.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Frozen kefir pops. Home made, of course. Kefir, a bit of heavy cream, vanilla, lemon zest and juice and stevia. I was in need of something frozen so I picked up a freezer pop thingy at the supermarket today. YUM!

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Good news- it wasn't an inferno today, so I sat outside for lunch! Also it looks like it will storm, hazzah!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Dunno' where you are from, but just wait until WINTER in most parts of the mainland...
    Yeah, have been to different parts during early December. SO GLAD I don't live elsewhere.

It is 106 outside. They keep predicting storms, but I am doubtful.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It rained here on the 4th of July, and it looks like more rain in the forecast off and an for the next few weeks. But it is monsoon season, so no big shock there.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    It rained here on the 4th of July, and it looks like more rain in the forecast off and an for the next few weeks. But it is monsoon season, so no big shock there.
    well, we are now getting some thunder, but it may be "heat thunder". I hope it rains, but no major storms, since we'd have to go tomy grandparent's house in case of a power outage (they have a massive generator). My husband had to close the coffee shop early today, the AC couldn't keep up, and it was 101 degrees behind the counter. Some customer had the gall to come in after they closed and say "well, it isn't that hot". Kuddos to my husband for not bitch-slapping her.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Today was 100F. I hid - again - behind the house AC. I am working on fat-adaptation, screw heat-adaptation. The kids played in the pool again, which they of course loved. Being Saturday, the hubby could sleep in. He came back from a business trip in the middle of the night - LaGuardia had delays.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast