Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 803

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 79

  1. #781
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,820
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I agree that excessive sugar is stress to the body, and can understand how PB is great for stress reduction. My dad is overweight, pre-diabetic, etc., and I would recommend PB to him rather than taking sugar.

    However, I'm interested in how added sugar to my diet, which had been LC, can help. The people here recommending sugar are not recommending huge doses, instead suggesting the idea that sugar is not bad.
    I actually can't find a reason to geek about it if your staying in the context of the PB carb curve.. i.e. generally following LC primal. When your overall load is low I don't think it matters much where you get it from. Whole foods of course will always be superior. I believe you run into issue at high loads and really have to monitor your source quite carefully if your attempting the "high carb" paleo route.

  2. #782
    dilberryhoundog's Avatar
    dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    I agree that excessive sugar is stress to the body, and can understand how PB is great for stress reduction. My dad is overweight, pre-diabetic, etc., and I would recommend PB to him rather than taking sugar.

    However, I'm interested in how added sugar to my diet, which had been LC, can help. The people here recommending sugar are not recommending huge doses, instead suggesting the idea that sugar is not bad.
    The point I'm trying to make is sugars, fats, water, proteins are all just chemical compounds, non are inherently stressful or not stressful. If you are low something you are high something else (ie LC is high fat or protein, low fat is high carb). Its the being low in something or high in something that is stressful to the body. I'll rattle some off:

    Low water: dehydration
    High water: mineral leaching
    low calorie: metabolic downreg, semistarving
    High calorie: SAD diet problems
    low carb/High fat: overused glyco-genesis systems
    High carb/Low Fat: constant clearing of toxic blood glyco
    High protein: Rabbit starvation
    High alcohol: constant clearing of toxic alco

    So understand, you relieved your body of making its own glyco all the fricken time by adding in a little sugar when you where LC, this is what reduced your stress. lets say in six months time your metabolism starts playing up again (gettin stressed) so you add in more sugar to reduce stress, this time it might do nothing because the stress is coming from else where (like maybe low cal) and needs another antagonistic (opposite) response to reduce stress on your body.

    sugar is not magic, it is not a panacea, it doesn't reduce stress, it is a chemical compound used by the body, if your body is getting to much or too little, its gunna get stressed, offering the antagonist to the "too low" or "too high" is what relieves this stress.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

  3. #783
    TheyCallMeLazarus's Avatar
    TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
    Posts
    1,031
    "time your metabolism starts playing up again"

    What does this mean? I see this use of "metabolism" all the time, and it is never defined.

    What is "stress" in this context and why is it bad?

    I feel like all of these discussions are metaphysical garbage that does not ever define anything.....it is all vague and snake oilish to me. I am happy to be proven otherwise, seriously. Just an observation.

  4. #784
    girlhk's Avatar
    girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    967
    All fair points.

    For me, 'stress' is when I start feeling tension or anxious or emotional beyond normal, usually accompanied by racing heart, shakes, difficulty sleeping, too much mental activity, etc. The threshold is different for everyone.

    Oops sorry to all who responded above-- I meant PB is great for weight reduction, not stress reduction.

  5. #785
    girlhk's Avatar
    girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I believe you run into issue at high loads and really have to monitor your source quite carefully if your attempting the "high carb" paleo route.
    What would those issues be?

  6. #786
    mpieciak18's Avatar
    mpieciak18 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    @Paleobird, why do you say that, have you read my book? Want me to send you a copy?

    Additionally, are you aware that there are many (referenced) articles available for free on my weblog? If you navigate to them, in the comments section, men frequently ask if they should purchase the book. My answer 100% of the time is that the newer articles I've written are better, and that they should save their money.
    Danny, I'll GLADLY take a free copy of your book! :-D

  7. #787
    SJW2's Avatar
    SJW2 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    88
    I know this thread is very dead, and I'm not sure I have anything to add to bring it to life, but this was a thought provoking thread, even if some of the back and forth was not productive.

    I did VLC for quite a bit, and had a similar experience to many. Did very well on it for awhile, easily lost some weight - plateaued, went lower on carbs and calories, etc.. maybe lost a smidge more, but eventually thinks got somewhat bad and I didn't even realize it. Low body temperature when usually I'm a furnace. Very cold sensitive. Mentally I don't even think I realized how run down I was for awhile. I tried IF-ing (16/8) which energized me temporarily, but made me run down after a week or two. I finally incorporated carb refeeds and began losing again.

    I therefore think we all really need to stay open minded. I for one am constantly questioning my assumptions in general in life. I was pretty tied to my way of thinking, dietarily, due to the success I had. But I think some of my assumptions might have been wrong. I am definitely intrigued by some of Peat's basic ideas. I am strongly considering throwing quite a bit of fruit into my diet and even some sugar (mostly in the form of ice cream or in coffee) or some honey. The first time I did a refeed, (sweet potatoes, rice, and ice cream), it was like someone turned the lights on for the first time in a long time. I used to think it was a trick evil sugar was playing on our brains to get us to eat it. I thought it was accessing addictive pathways (have read some evidence that is true) and made us feel good like a drug, but was still to be avoided. Now I wonder if there isn't some place for it in a healthful diet. I also am definitely more interested in the negative effects of polyunsaturated fats as well.

    I also found the diabetes/insulin resistance discussion interesting. The sugar/carb theory of diabetes is attractive in its simplicity and seems intuitive when you notice the improvement people have with LC diets among those with diabetes. However, that just means glucose control has been wrecked somehow, no? The body is complicated as hell. The potential mechanisms are many and not mutually exclusive. The idea that stress on a cellular level somehow plays a major role is intriguing.

    I'm not buying the whole Peat package, but I am definitely highly intrigued. I plan to delve into the MOAR Peat thread, but I happened upon this thread first and that one is 164 pages long at this point - will take some time.

  8. #788
    dilberryhoundog's Avatar
    dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by SJW2 View Post
    I know this thread is very dead, and I'm not sure I have anything to add to bring it to life, but this was a thought provoking thread, even if some of the back and forth was not productive.

    I did VLC for quite a bit, and had a similar experience to many. Did very well on it for awhile, easily lost some weight - plateaued, went lower on carbs and calories, etc.. maybe lost a smidge more, but eventually thinks got somewhat bad and I didn't even realize it. Low body temperature when usually I'm a furnace. Very cold sensitive. Mentally I don't even think I realized how run down I was for awhile. I tried IF-ing (16/8) which energized me temporarily, but made me run down after a week or two. I finally incorporated carb refeeds and began losing again.

    I therefore think we all really need to stay open minded. I for one am constantly questioning my assumptions in general in life. I was pretty tied to my way of thinking, dietarily, due to the success I had. But I think some of my assumptions might have been wrong. I am definitely intrigued by some of Peat's basic ideas. I am strongly considering throwing quite a bit of fruit into my diet and even some sugar (mostly in the form of ice cream or in coffee) or some honey. The first time I did a refeed, (sweet potatoes, rice, and ice cream), it was like someone turned the lights on for the first time in a long time. I used to think it was a trick evil sugar was playing on our brains to get us to eat it. I thought it was accessing addictive pathways (have read some evidence that is true) and made us feel good like a drug, but was still to be avoided. Now I wonder if there isn't some place for it in a healthful diet. I also am definitely more interested in the negative effects of polyunsaturated fats as well.

    I also found the diabetes/insulin resistance discussion interesting. The sugar/carb theory of diabetes is attractive in its simplicity and seems intuitive when you notice the improvement people have with LC diets among those with diabetes. However, that just means glucose control has been wrecked somehow, no? The body is complicated as hell. The potential mechanisms are many and not mutually exclusive. The idea that stress on a cellular level somehow plays a major role is intriguing.

    I'm not buying the whole Peat package, but I am definitely highly intrigued. I plan to delve into the MOAR Peat thread, but I happened upon this thread first and that one is 164 pages long at this point - will take some time.
    Carb refeeds are the default not the exception. Particularly if you have been LC for a while. Also don't fall into the trap of doing the same as you did on LC,

    You went low and seen success, you went even lower when that success stopped, you then went even lower (by fasting most of the day) when that diminished success stopped. You where on a very slippery slope. You will see success by adding carbs back in but you will see the same diminishing returns when adding more and more carbs in. Particularly once you have corrected the VLC overbalance.

    A moderate carb diet is far superior to a meat only or fruit only diet.

    Also peater's (falsely IMO) think that body catabolism and the hormones associated are what causes stress in the body. Have you ever seen the "YIN and YANG" sign? Yep, good we'll that's our metabolism. anabolism and catabolism are forces in the body driven by insulin and glucagon. They originate from the same place (pancreas) and are physiologically bound to each other. Ie you will never find high levels of both in the body, if insulin release is high then glucagon is low and vice versa. In fact how high insulin is will directly correlate with how low glucagon is. A balanced body is the least stressed.

    What is stressfull to the body is if one of these forces starts to dominate, if catabolism is dominant then the body wastes away, systems shut down etc. if anabolism is dominant the body fills up (with fat) and everything is overworked. Both are stressful on their own.

    See anabolic systems need catabolism to break down storage and injested food molecules so that insulin can drive these into cells as energy and building blocks and catabolic systems need anabolism to build up body stores and reserves so that the body doesn't start eating itself when catabolism is asked to provide energy molecules. Hope that helps a little.
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 03-19-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

  9. #789
    SJW2's Avatar
    SJW2 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Carb refeeds are the default not the exception. Particularly if you have been LC for a while. Also don't fall into the trap of doing the same as you did on LC,

    You went low and seen success, you went even lower when that success stopped, you then went even lower (by fasting most of the day) when that diminished success stopped. You where on a very slippery slope. You will see success by adding carbs back in but you will see the same diminishing returns when adding more and more carbs in. Particularly once you have corrected the VLC overbalance.

    A moderate carb diet is far superior to a meat only or fruit only diet.

    Also peater's (falsely IMO) think that body catabolism and the hormones associated are what causes stress in the body. Have you ever seen the "YIN and YANG" sign? Yep, good we'll that's our metabolism. anabolism and catabolism are forces in the body driven by insulin and glucagon. They originate from the same place (pancreas) and are physiologically bound to each other. Ie you will never find high levels of both in the body, if insulin release is high then glucagon is low and vice versa. In fact how high insulin is will directly correlate with how low glucagon is. A balanced body is the least stressed.

    What is stressfull to the body is if one of these forces starts to dominate, if catabolism is dominant then the body wastes away, systems shut down etc. if anabolism is dominant the body fills up (with fat) and everything is overworked. Both are stressful on their own.

    See anabolic systems need catabolism to break down storage and injested food molecules so that insulin can drive these into cells as energy and building blocks and catabolic systems need anabolism to build up body stores and reserves so that the body doesn't start eating itself when catabolism is asked to provide energy molecules. Hope that helps a little.
    I agree about carb refeeds. I hope I made that clear. I'm on that bandwagon.

    Anyway, yes, your idea of balance and yin and yang makes a lot of intuitive sense. Worth thinking more about. I also agree there is a tendency to push things to further extremes when things don't work, rather than let them return to a more balanced/moderate state.

  10. #790
    dilberryhoundog's Avatar
    dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    550
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by SJW2 View Post
    I agree about carb refeeds. I hope I made that clear. I'm on that bandwagon.

    Anyway, yes, your idea of balance and yin and yang makes a lot of intuitive sense. Worth thinking more about. I also agree there is a tendency to push things to further extremes when things don't work, rather than let them return to a more balanced/moderate state.
    Bingo, you've got it.

    If lifting heavy weights isn't really working for ya at 3 days a week don't do it five times a week. The yin and yang of weightlifting.

    If you can't convince your ex partner to get back with ya with 5 texts/calls per week. Ringing 10 times ain't gunna help much more. The yin and yang of relationships.

    Hehe, light hearted examples but worth the thought. To not lift or not ring, because of the risk of over doing something is just as bad also, keep that in mind.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •