Page 7 of 81 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 7

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    @ Apex OK, my deep and abiding contrition for having used the term "full of it". That was massively hostile of me. Can we move on now to substance?

Primal=/=VLC. 'Nuff said.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    Danny-like many here, I have researched and researched metabolic issues and by far, (not even remotely close) folk eating low carb and high fat have the best success. I just don't see a lot of diabetics having real success with Peat's or Barnard's approach. I further have seen where the success they claim to have is from folk with A1C's of 6.8, 6.9-as in what the ADA incorrectly calls good control. For every 1 ice cream eating diabetic following Peat that is "controlling" their disease, their are dozens doing it via LCHF.

The ADA is absolutely criminal in their diet recommendations to diabetics and the failure rate and complication rate of diabetics are proof to that. You surely aren't arguing with their own statistics are you? Sure there are other factors, non compliance, current progression, fitness and other lifestyle issues, but it starts with diet. Your blog is continuing with their bad advice and based on theory that is not balanced with the overwhelming experience of real world diabetics. It sounds nice and trust me, most diabetics would love to be able to have that ice cream that Peat says is ok and the sugar that you say is good, but what seems like good science to you has bad and often catostrophic results in practice.
    This. It's not only bad science. It's dangerous.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'm still confused as to why/how an intake of significantly more sugar specifically, which is linked in many studies to greatly increasing inflammation levels, would help an already stressful/inflammatory situation due to PUFAs.
    It wouldn't. It would be like pouring gas on a fire.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It wouldn't. It would be like pouring gas on a fire.
    I know... my Gramma is diabetic and keeping her far away from sugar is the only way to keep her pain managed (peripheral neuropathy from diabetic nerve damage). Yes... her pain gets worse if she doesn't keep her blood sugars very low by avoiding eating the sugar in the first place. Not just eat all the sugar and top off with insulin shots like the doctors tell her is OK.

I was just hoping he would explain his theory in more than a one little blurb sentence so that it was fully comprehensible.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I know... my Gramma is diabetic and keeping her far away from sugar is the only way to keep her pain managed (peripheral neuropathy from diabetic nerve damage). Yes... her pain gets worse if she doesn't keep her blood sugars very low by avoiding eating the sugar in the first place. Not just eat all the sugar and top off with insulin shots like the doctors tell her is OK.

I was just hoping he would explain his theory in more than a one little blurb sentence so that it was fully comprehensible.
    Yep. I'm dealing with a similar situation with my Dad. His peripheral neuropathy pain has gone away completely since starting Primal and the inflammation in his legs is gone too. His BP has also gone from scary high in the 170s down to 110/65 consistently.

Maybe I should go get him a cola just to make sure he is not under any stress.

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Danny, you say you are anti-stress. Cool. But you have yet to address the differences in the metabolisms of a sugar burner and a fat adapted person. I agree that lack of sugar is very stressful to a sugar burner. Those of us who are fat adapted are burning ketones and glucose as the need arises with no stress at all.
    @paleobird, I have addressed this. Several times. Please reread my posts.

The release of free fatty acids is a feature of a stressed/aging metabolism.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437
    I'm still confused as to why/how an intake of significantly more sugar specifically, which is linked in many studies to greatly increasing inflammation levels, would help an already stressful/inflammatory situation due to PUFAs.
    @cori93437, Remember, I'm not suggesting that the solution to everyone's problems is to eat more sugar.

Optimizing the known factors that influence energy production (saturated fats, sugar, salt, calcium, light), which all support thyroid function and oppose the hormones of adaptation, are all equally as important.

Pulse and body temperature are great self-diagnostics for gauging where the metabolic rate is at.

For instance, many who begin with a pulse in the low 60s or 70s feel very different when they hit a consistent pulse rate of 85 or above.

otzi Guest
    Danny Roddy - Thanks for stopping by and putting up with the abuse. It always amazes me how people treat visitors, rather than trying to learn, they want to argue and play word games. No amount of studies will appease these people.

Question for you, you seem to be a fan of a paleo diet. I see you have been to the AHS's and I'm sure you have met and discussed your ideas with others in the paleosphere.

What tweaks would you recommend to the average Joe eating according to the Primal Blueprint? (ie. a fairly lax paleo with intermittent fasting and doing some form of exercise) I'm not talking about people with serious metabolic derangements or other medical problems.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    The release of free fatty acids is a feature of a stressed/aging metabolism.
    Isn't the release of free fatty acids a feature of losing weight? How can someone lose fat weight without this happening?

I realise that health is the goal and not weight loss, but for many people those two initially are aligned and getting healthier does include losing fat.

For someone who is overweight (say, 25% bf for a man, +10 for a woman) how can you possibly lose fat without releasing free fatty acids?

Pulse and body temperature are great self-diagnostics for gauging where the metabolic rate is at.

For instance, many who begin with a pulse in the low 60s or 70s feel very different when they hit a consistent pulse rate of 85 or above.
    What is the basis for the resting pulse of 85 being 'optimal'?

I don't know what is optimal, but I would have thought that a higher pulse rate resulted in more wear on the heart....
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    @paleobird, I have addressed this. Several times. Please reread my posts.

@cori93437, Remember, I'm not suggesting that the solution to everyone's problems is to eat more sugar.

Nowhere have you addressed the differences between a sugar burning metabolism and a fat adapted one. You just keep repeating that running low on glycogen is stressful and I agree, for a sugar burner, it is. For a "fat burning machine" as Mark called it, there is no stress because there are two sources of fuel readily available.

Good to know you are not recommending sodas for all. Backpedaling 101.

Why would you want to have such a high heart rate? Talk about un-necessary stress.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Thanks for stopping by and putting up with the abuse. It always amazes me how people treat visitors, rather than trying to learn, they want to argue and play word games. No amount of studies will appease these people.
    I'm sure Danny can put up with the slings and arrows of logic and rational thought.

Page 7 of 81 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast