Page 57 of 81 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 57

charliemathers is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i am doing better in many areas since adding fruit and sugar back into my life ala Ray Peat. i did initially gain some weight, but after cutting down on the fat a bit its slowly starting to come back off.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Some questions about starches vs. fructose:

1) Why does Ray repeatedly mention that starches are more 'harmful' and likely to lead to weight gain if fructose is stored as liver glycogen, then converted to glucose when it's used? I don't understand how or why eating fructose in the form of fruit or sucrose in the form of table sugar would have significant benefits over eating glucose in the form of starches.

A quote from Lyle McDonald's Body Recomposition site:

"...dietary fructose, found primarily in fruits must first be converted to glucose (in the liver) prior to release. That is, contrary to some claims being made, free fructose is almost never found in the bloodstream in large quantities unless it was put there through infusion. Rather, dietary fructose will either be stored in the liver as glycogen (see below) before being converted to glucose and released into the bloodstream, or simply converted to glucose and released after consumption."

2) In Lyle McDonald's UD2, he says that ultimately it doesn't matter what type of carbohydrate you use to to a carb load, but that fructose tends to give inferior results to starches/glucose because fructose is used preferentially by the liver and is not very effecient at being used to refill muscle glycogen. What's your take on this?

A Primer on Dietary Carbohydrates | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    , limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two,
    gosh that sounds awful
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome results. Photo #1 reminds me of George on Seinfeld. Great photos!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

charliemathers is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dommers View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and guess there are a lot of primal families who limit their childrens sugar consumption, but have the very same healthy attributes you describe.
    might not show up now, but down the line it could.
    Ray Peat Forum
    "A place to discuss everything Ray Peat"

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafaa View Post
    Eating "table sugar", cane, raw, brown, whatever, is bad. I don't care how you spin it biologically.
    I've got a fullproof way of measuring my inflammation response to foods. It shows up on my face in the next 12 hours.
    PUFA's -> cystic acne.
    White Sugar (home made cheesecake that had nothing else which wasn't primal approved) -> cystic acne
    Icecream with nothing bad in it except sugar -> cystic acne
    Bowls of cooked fruit with cream and honey drizzled on top -> Holy cow, that week my face exploded!! Never doing that again.
    Cut out the dairy. That's what making you burst with acne
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Wondering how ChocoTaco is doing with adding more fruit?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    Cut out the dairy. That's what making you burst with acne
    Dairy never makes me have acne...

Eating sugar makes my skin act nuts though... dry patches but with crazy oil too, and lots of small acne bumps...
    I ate lots of fruit last week (more than normal, ate fruit pretty much every day)... cause sometimes I feel like it... and I don't fear it...
    That was the ONLY difference in my diet... the fruit...
    But I'm paying for it now, and I really need to be more moderate so that I don't have negative side effects.

Scale went up a couple pounds and I got crappy skin and acne. Yay.

I use the same raw milk products all the time in the same amounts... zero skin issues.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I ate lots of fruit last week (more than normal, ate fruit pretty much every day)...

I really need to be more moderate so that I don't have negative side effects.
    What is a moderate amount of fruit for you? One serving a day? A couple of servings a week?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    What is a moderate amount of fruit for you? One serving a day? A couple of servings a week?
    2-3 servings a week...
    Generally berries, black cherries, a banana here and there, or a plantain cooked for starch at dinner.

I got my hands on huge stash of mangoes... and, well, that went up to 2-3 servings per day(displaced some of my Veg).
    Me and the fruit need to get back on friendly... less obsessive... terms again.
    Eating that much fruit makes me hungry, and then I want more fruit.

If I was at goal weight I would be a little more lax and eat fruit more often, daily even... except for the bad skin.
    It really does make me feel really dry/itchy and really oily at the same time.
    And the little zits. Bleh.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 57 of 81 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast