Page 56 of 81 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 56

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I am done with this thread.

And he thinks he being so "kind" to us. Gee, thanks, Danny.
    After how you lashed out at him and he continued debating? Hell yea he's kind

Learn how to debate, i.e put your emotions aside
    If you can.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Ika
    Ika is offline Member
    Well I think Danny has been very generous to participate in this discussion! And I'm glad that (for the most part) people have been keeping it civil and objective. ; ) I know that at least I'm having fun, and learning stuff : )

Questions for Danny:
    What do you think of the theory that people with certain disorders (I've heard this said about anything from obesity to MS) aren't able to utilize sugar properly for fuel and therefore need to use ketones to prevent cell death etc.?

Also, when you eat fat, do you know what % is turned into ketones, and what % is free fatty acids? Does it differ, depending on the fat? Are free *saturated* fatty acids a problem at all? I would think those would be OK?

Regarding ketones, I've heard that coconut oil *has* ketones in it, but then I also heard that your body just uses the coconut fat to *make* ketones (= more stressful). Apparently potato juice does actually have ketones in it?

When it comes to losing fat (PUFA), when you say the liver takes care of it, does that mean that in order to lose weight, you don't actually have to "burn" the fat for fuel?
    Last edited by Ika; 07-16-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Danny, do you eat fruits with your meat?
    From what I read they should be eaten alone
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I ate a very Peat-esque dinner tonight.

Ok, it had a lot of vegetables and muscle meat (I made this london broil almost as tender as filet mignon, whoa). But aside from that...

I had 1/3 of a whole water melon and a bowl of coconut milk pudding I made with some 1% cottage cheese. Wow, I'm loving this coconut milk pudding. So easy. I'm about to publish this one and it's loaded with gelatin.

Recommended. Nothing here was really calorically dense aside from the coconut milk pudding, but I'm incredibly stuffed due to all the watermelon. I also heavily salted the watermelon...because watermelon and salt is awesome. I feel very warm right now. I'm sprawled out in an office chair with a fan and AC unit blowing on me. I bought 2 watermelons this week so I will repeat this a few times.
    Choco, the coconut milk pudding sounds great. Can you post the recipe?

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by William398 View Post
    Can I get a bump? Danny Roddy's blog is confusing as hell. Who knows who this guy's target audience is? His articles are characterized by a terrible writing style, an abundance of "Smart Art," and no layman breakdown. I'm just trying to figure out what he's talking about and if it has any merit.
    Danny was 0 carb for 2 years and this caused him some problems and it would seem those that he has helped have also been 0 carb for quite a long time. If you are new to all this, I really would stick to the basics of PB in food, exercise, rest etc. Listen to your body, note the changes and zero in on what is still a problem (for example sleep, maybe you need more of a particular something or change your routine). If you know you have underlying issues, then getting your blood and hormone panels may not be a bad idea going forward.

Even Mark has sugar in his coffee and eats fruit.

I think if you do not like someone's writing style, than perhaps it is not for you. Mark has posted a list of blogs he likes recently:

12 Health and Fitness Blogs You Should Be Reading | Mark's Daily Apple

I know I sound a little like a cult member but I have been reading this stuff for a year and I keep coming back to Mark as he has a great writing style, explains things well and is quick to acknowledge changes and incomplete information (women and fasting).
    Life. Be in it.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I've read through this entire thread and feel both confused and interested. I need to read through Danny's blog and Ray's blog. I for a better understanding of this all, I just haven't had the time yet.

I have been primal for a year and a half after a lifetime of binge eating disorder and yo-yo dieting. Primal eating has cured my binge eating, not to say I don't over eat sometimes (non gmo popcorn, nut butters, dark chocolate). For the most part I have been low carb or very low carb, though. I even gave up fruit for about a year because that's what people on the boards recommended for weight loss. I started at 40 lbs over weight ( female 5'3 165 lbs.) and lost 20 lbs in the first 6 months and have stayed the same for a year now despite my efforts to lose more.

I am very greatful that I lost 20 lbs without gaining it back plus some, without bingeing, etc.... very greatful. I still have 20 more to lose and after a year of staying the same I think I need to change something. I think adding fruit might be the answer and watching my calories... not that I will count them, though. Not willing to do that.

Along with the good I also have some bad... my PMS has gotten much worse and it was already bad enoug, my depression has gotten worse and so have my migraines. I finally had to give into taking Topamax to try to control them. I just have a gut feeling that more balance is needed and fruit might help me. Before I read this I was craving strawberries like crazy.

There were a lot of things I wanted to comment on and can't remember them all. I do want to know why the baking soda was added to the diet as a supplement? I suffer from restless leg syndrome and was once told to try baking soda, but never have. For the most part magnesium helps, but not always. The baking soda was mentioned in the link about weight loss also (Co2 Factor: Practical ways to lose fat), but no reason why.

I hope this discussion will continue...
    Last edited by healthy11; 07-20-2012 at 05:34 AM.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I just found this about restless leg syndrome

"BRUXISM / RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME
    I think it's caused by irritation and inflammation in the intestine, increasing serotonin. Starches and fibers support bacterial growth and can increase serotonin. Restless leg syndrome is another night-time reaction to bacterial overgrowth."

From this link about Peat from Danny's site:
    Ray Peat's Brain: Building a Foundation for Better*Understanding - The Danny Roddy Weblog - Nutrition For Sex, Hair & Health

I just don't really know what that means or how to fix it. Less starch from vegetables, more fruit? Someone above mentioned paleo as unrealistic, which I don't get when he is eating Peat- style which seams so much more restrictive... no vegetables? No fish? Chicken? Where's a good place to find out which foods are highest in PUFAs? I can't believe wild salmon isn't good for me.
    Last edited by healthy11; 07-20-2012 at 05:35 AM.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I read Danny's article, linked by healthy11, and I have some questions about the following quotes, which appear in that article:

1) "Fruits provide a significant amount of protein."

In what way do fruits provide significant protein?

2) "Appetite should be the basic guide. When your liver has enough glycogen stored, sweet things aren't appetizing.

How would you explain people who regularly overeat sugar and carbs? The average American eating the SAD diet likely has pretty full reserves of glycogen stored, yet most people find sweet things to be VERY appetizing.

3) Ray is a huge proponent of milk and cheese, but what would he recommend for someone who has a casein allergy and is unable or unwilling to drink milk?

4) I've read that we are only able to digest about 20-25 grams of fructose at a time. Is this true? If not, where would this fallacy have come from?

Beyond Lactose Intolerance: Common Foods You May Not Digest Well and Not Even Know It! / All Body Ecology Articles

5) Would Ray and you recommend eating tons of white sugar in place of fruit for someone with fructose malabsorption?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    So, if I understand this right, to lose weight we should be eating very low fat and high sucrose, consuming fruit/juice every few hours?

Also, Ray is pretty clear on the health benefits of saturated fat...but I'm having trouble seeing how to both incorporate plenty of saturated fat in the diet, while keeping fat low simultaneously to prevent fat storage in the presence of all that fructose. I read the links provided, but I couldn't really find anything that specifically addressed this - it just said to eat low fat dairy.
    Remember this?

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I have no idea how you reached this conclusion.
    In Danny's article describing correspondance with Ray, he confirms my question/statement that the recommendation is to consume high levels of sugar with low fat:

"I have heard from several people that they think I recommend drinking whole milk, which I don't, because the amount of fat in whole milk is very likely to be fattening when a person is using it to get the needed protein and calcium. When a person wants to lose excess fat, limiting the diet to low fat milk, eggs, orange juice, and a daily carrot or two, will provide the essential nutrients without excess calories."

Ray Peat's Brain: Building a Foundation for Better*Understanding - The Danny Roddy Weblog - Nutrition For Sex, Hair & Health

Wafaa is offline Member
    I have to pipe in here with my own personal experience on this. I only read the first 16 pages of this thread, so excuse me if I've missed something.

Perhaps I'm not the target audience since I'm not diabetic nor do I have ms. I am very thin, possible pcos, primary amenorrhea (dozens of doctors couldn't give me clear reason for it), adult acne, thyroid and pituitary issues, easily fatigued, constitutional growth delay as a kid, and the list can go on.

I have found that eating some starches and reasonable portions of fruit is perfectly fine. Heck, even necessary for me. But the rest?

First the 85bpm thing is weird. I was measuring my heart rate recently and it was actually in the 85bpm range when I was primal, unstressed mentally and relaxed, but feeling tired all the time. Once I started exercising again. It dropped down to 75bpm at resting within a few weeks and I felt much better energy wise. I don't see how higher is better.

I'm also surprised at the recommendation of eating sugar for people with hormonal issues.

Eating "table sugar", cane, raw, brown, whatever, is bad. I don't care how you spin it biologically.
    I've got a fullproof way of measuring my inflammation response to foods. It shows up on my face in the next 12 hours.
    PUFA's -> cystic acne.
    White Sugar (home made cheesecake that had nothing else which wasn't primal approved) -> cystic acne
    Icecream with nothing bad in it except sugar -> cystic acne
    Bowls of cooked fruit with cream and honey drizzled on top -> Holy cow, that week my face exploded!! Never doing that again.

I was trying gain weight, and resorted to eating 2000 calories and 150g plus of carbohydrates per day, all paleo primal sources without including grains. I started having frequent episodes of really bad hypoglycemia (nausea, dizziness, headaches, the works) every day! I became stressed physically. I could feel the shakes coming only 2-3 hours after I'd eaten, and I'd need to grab some fruit to stop them, but the insulin spike afterwards made me feel like crap and I could see my hands trembling. It was only fruit!!
    Last time I had hypoglycemia I was 15 and addicted to cookies.
    Those went away when I gave up and went back to my normal way of eating after 3 weeks of this.

My experience over the years has pretty definitively shown me that too many carbs and the insulin "spike" is gonna mess up my system. Fruit induced or otherwise.

I've found what works best is just eating when I'm hungry, eating reasonable amounts safe starches and fruit (seriously, I eat my fill of those with a banana and a potato + some fruits on most days, but I still wind up well under 150g of carbs per day last I counted), eating plenty of fats (animal, coconut, and olive) and I feel amazing.
    Just tested my CRP a couple of weeks ago for something unrelated and it was not detectable at <0.4.
    My art blog.

Page 56 of 81 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast