Page 54 of 81 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 54

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yep, he did. And I agree with you, Neckhammer.
    The guy indulged you for over 50 pages but refusing to read a link (why don't you give him the damn highlights?) is what made you decide to pack up your toys and go home? Are you for real?
    Last edited by Gilleh; 07-14-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputina View Post
    Hah!!!
    ...?
    Someone needs to call her therapist?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

yhickfoe is offline Junior Member
    Hi Danny,

how low is it safe to go with for fat? I know you have provided macro percentages, but I am restricting calories at the moment in order to loose fat; I don't want to go higher than 2200 cals and to do this whilst fitting to 50/25/25 carb/protein/fat I have to drop my fat intake to 60grams per day, isn't this too low? How much fat do you eat? thanks

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    The guy indulged you for over 50 pages ....?
    Again silly....he "indulged" nothing. He is a poster here just like everyone else. The thread and forum started without his contribution and will move on the same. And if you Gilleh would read the link you would understand why you cant break it down to a summary. It is math.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-14-2012 at 05:54 AM.

otzi Guest
    DannyRoddy - Don't be discouraged. Your visit here has been worthwhile to many and this thread, except for the childish back and forth, will be great for people who search for Ray Peat/Danny Roddy/Sugar in the future. You can bet if Mark Sisson posts a blog entitled "Sugar may Actually Increase Metabolism" that all these naysayers would quickly be on board.

Ray Peat is highly respected in many circles and I really appreciate you stopping by here to try to explain it to us.

I have found good reading at Start Here - Nutrition For Sex, Hair & Health
    and Ray Peat

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Again silly....he "indulged" nothing. He is a poster here just like everyone else. The thread and forum started without his contribution and will move on the same. And if you Gilleh would read the link you would understand why you cant break it down to a summary. It is math.
    The other possibility is that he really did take a look at that link and saw the gaping holes in Peat's argument. It's not easy reading but well worth it.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    DannyRoddy - Don't be discouraged. Your visit here has been worthwhile to many and this thread, except for the childish back and forth, will be great for people who search for Ray Peat/Danny Roddy/Sugar in the future. You can bet if Mark Sisson posts a blog entitled "Sugar may Actually Increase Metabolism" that all these naysayers would quickly be on board.

Ray Peat is highly respected in many circles and I really appreciate you stopping by here to try to explain it to us.
    Not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.
    Ray Peat is well respected at raypeat.com.

Ika
    Ika is offline Member
    I've read through this whole thread with great interest. I've been hoping a discussion like this would open up here! I started out my health journey with MDA and the Primal Blueprint, and have been seeing good results from incorperating some of Peat's ideas in the last 4 months.

I have MS, and while the PB seems helpful for overall health, I didn't find anything that was helpful particularly for my condition. I also bought into the low-carb craze for awhile, and stuck to it even when it was obviously hurting me. I'm thankful that I found Danny Roddy and Matt Stone's blogs, to give me the kick in the butt I needed to look objectivly at how I was feeling, and that it might be due to my diet, in spite of the fact that I was convinced it was a cure-all. Now I feel a bit silly for trying to push it on everyone I knew...:-P Which is why these days, when someone asks me "what to do" about some health issue, I'm much more likely to try to initiate an open discussion about health, whole foods and metabolism in general, and what they feel works for them, instead of telling them that any specific diet is the answer.

Ray Peat has a few articles written specifically about MS, that I found super interesting. Also, it is just helpful to understand that healing yourself should be thought about from more of an outside-in perspective. I do still feel that observing healthy societies (a la paleo and WAPF) has its merits, and that we can learn things about being healthy from them. And in regards to the comments argueing about Peat saying sugar is good--that is kind of taking the focus away from what he is actually about. What I took away from his articles, relating to sugar (like the grainey white stuff, not fruit), is that it is sometimes helpful as a supplement, and as a stand-in when good, ripe fruit isn't available, but that fruit is almost ALWAYS better.

I would also love to hear Danny's comments on that ketosis article that was posted; mostly because I lack the knowladge (and mathmatical brain) necesarry to decipher it myself. I think those who were commenting that the person who posted it should have posted a synopsis in thier own words, instead of just a link, was meaning that if you feel that that article illustrates your point so well, you must understand it well enough to tell other people about it, otherwise how are you so sure that it is true and good science? I think I read somewhere that "you only truely understand something complex, when you are able to explain it simply." Or something to that effect ;-)

I hope this discussion/debate keeps up, because I think even though we all have differing viewpoints, we can still learn alot from each other. The point isn't to convince others to come around to your way of thinking, necesarrily. The point is to learn!!! :-D
    My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting this, Neckhammer. This guy basically proves mathematically that extracting energy from fat is a much more efficient process when compared to glucose and creates less oxidative stress in the process.
    Hate to quote myself but evidently Ika missed this. This is a summary of the "take away" of what was in that link. If you, or Danny would like the details, feel free to read.

Also, one more time, Primal=/=ultra low carb all the time for everyone. There is a wide spectrum of healthy carb intakes.

Nobody is "taking the focus" away from the other things Peat has to say such as lower your PUFAs and don't eat junk because we agree on all that. And nobody here objects to real fruit as a part of a Primal diet. Chugging refined sugar is where we part ways so that is what gets discussed.

Have you seen Dr. Terry Wahl's TEDTalk about Minding your mitochondria? Her MS journey is nothing short of inspirational. I wish you well in your health struggles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-14-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: add working link

dannyroddy is offline Member
    I haven't bailed....

I don't have Internet right now and typing on my phone isn't that fun.

I get Internet installed next week and will have a chance to answer questions.

Page 54 of 81 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast