Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 42

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Danny or Bopfer - I was reading Glucose and sucrose for diabetes. and saw this:

"Many people lately have been told, as part of a campaign to explain the high incidence of fatty liver degeneration in the US, supposedly resulting from eating too much sugar, that fructose can be metabolized only by the liver. The liver does have the highest capacity for metabolizing fructose, but the other organs do metabolize it."

When I was in my 20's, I ate whatever I wanted and stayed pretty lean and healthy. When I hit my 30's I started getting fat, but kept eating SAD. By the time I was 40, I was nearly 100lbs overweight, and the whole range of metabolic syndrome symptoms, including fatty liver disease. Within a few months of stopping all sugar, flour and vegetable oil, my liver labs were all normal and within 6 months the fat was gone from my liver. I had always supposed this was from eliminating sugar from my diet. According to Peat, that is not the case. What do you suppose he would say cured my fatty liver disease given what I have told you here?

bopfer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Danny or Bopfer - I was reading Glucose and sucrose for diabetes. and saw this:

"Many people lately have been told, as part of a campaign to explain the high incidence of fatty liver degeneration in the US, supposedly resulting from eating too much sugar, that fructose can be metabolized only by the liver. The liver does have the highest capacity for metabolizing fructose, but the other organs do metabolize it."

When I was in my 20's, I ate whatever I wanted and stayed pretty lean and healthy. When I hit my 30's I started getting fat, but kept eating SAD. By the time I was 40, I was nearly 100lbs overweight, and the whole range of metabolic syndrome symptoms, including fatty liver disease. Within a few months of stopping all sugar, flour and vegetable oil, my liver labs were all normal and within 6 months the fat was gone from my liver. I had always supposed this was from eliminating sugar from my diet. According to Peat, that is not the case. What do you suppose he would say cured my fatty liver disease given what I have told you here?
    In the context of Ray Peat, sugar is only bad when consumed with PUFAs since they interfere with proper glucose metabolism. Your improvement is likely due to removing PUFAs and grains along with the overall improvement in food quality (vitamins, minerals, etc). I doubt sugar had much to do with it other than helping you reduce calories.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    In the context of Ray Peat, sugar is only bad when consumed with PUFAs since they interfere with proper glucose metabolism. Your improvement is likely due to removing PUFAs and grains along with the overall improvement in food quality (vitamins, minerals, etc). I doubt sugar had much to do with it other than helping you reduce calories.
    Thinking about it, I was eating very little fruit and lots of high-fructose corn syrup. I always used artificial sweeteners, and never put sugar in anything when I was eating SAD 'because sugar is so bad'.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    Calcium, salt, sugar, enough protein, and vitamin A usually does the trick.

Sometimes experimenting with thyroid is warranted.

According to my last three blood tests, done every three years, my calcium levels are perfect (9.5), I eat on average 70-120 grams of protein daily, and my daily spoon of cod liver oil should more than cover the vitamin A. Since my thyroid levels are in the good range (TSH is 0.75), there's not a doctor out there that would even consider prescribing me thyroid. There's got to be something else out there...maybe cold thermogenesis really is the only answer for me.

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    Danny, why is fatty fish not recommended? I usually eat wild salmon a couple times a week. Its high in omega 3 and low in omega 6. Is it not the omega 6 that causes problems? Im not talking about getting an abundance of omega 3 (e.g. from supplements) just from real food 2X a week.

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    According to my last three blood tests, done every three years, my calcium levels are perfect (9.5), I eat on average 70-120 grams of protein daily, and my daily spoon of cod liver oil should more than cover the vitamin A. Since my thyroid levels are in the good range (TSH is 0.75), there's not a doctor out there that would even consider prescribing me thyroid.
    There are more tests, the ones you have are good, but that's not the whole picture.

Lactic acid
    Parathyroid hormone (PTH)
    Reverse T3
    Prolactin
    Whole blood serotonin

Some people need large amounts of vitamin A and salt (several teaspoons a day).

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    There's got to be something else out there...maybe cold thermogenesis really is the only answer for me.
    "Cold thermogenesis" isn't the answer for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by sandokan2112 View Post
    Danny, why is fatty fish not recommended? I usually eat wild salmon a couple times a week. Its high in omega 3 and low in omega 6. Is it not the omega 6 that causes problems? Im not talking about getting an abundance of omega 3 (e.g. from supplements) just from real food 2X a week.
    PUFA, in all forms, is problematic.

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pqljdpaj View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and guess there are a lot of primal families who limit their childrens sugar consumption, but have the very same healthy attributes you describe.
    Please read my earlier replies. I have already covered this.

Paleobird Guest
    Please read my earlier replies. I have already covered this.
    The bot got ya, Danny.

Paleobird Guest
    "Cold thermogenesis" isn't the answer for anyone.
    PUFA, in all forms, is problematic.
    Total agreement on these points. (although I think you may have just lost Otzi the iceman as a follower)

Kurt Harris points out that getting focused on perfecting your O3/O6 ratio is pointless if the total PUFA quantity in your diet is too high. He recommends focusing on bringing down your O6 instead of raising your O3 to match it.

Djzander is offline Member
    Danny, ( or others familiar with peats work) what are your
    thoughts on using powdered Gatorade as a sugar/ salt source?
    I do a great deal of outdoor sports in the summer heat where I sweat
    a great deal. If my goals are general health and fat loss would this hinder my efforts?

Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast