Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 4

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @magicmerl,

Honestly, one of the birthplaces of fructose-fear was from PHD, he may have changed his mind on it recently. Paul didn't consider bananas to be safe-starches...

I digress though... as I don't care.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    In general, a higher carbohydrate diet is preferable to limit adrenaline, cortisol, and the rest of the adaptive hormones.

Diabetes/metabolic issues are not caused by consuming sugar, they are caused by adaptive stress hormones that are released when energy production (real biological energy) is insufficient.
    So, my diabetic dad got diabetes because it was so stressful? He should have been eating more cookies and everything would have been fine? The fact that his BP, A1c, etc. are all markedly improved with just a few weeks of Primal is, what? Coincidence?

There is plenty of "real biological energy" to be had on a low carb diet. It's called ketones. This is not stressful at all.

Sorry, dude, you and your guru Ray are full of it.

bopfer is offline Member
    A few weeks is far too little time to judge anything. Stress makes one feel good in the short term and does it's damage in the long term. Living off ketones is stressful longterm. Any improvement is likely due to the removal of unsaturated fats, not carbs or sugar.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    A few weeks is far too little time to judge anything. Stress makes one feel good in the short term and does it's damage in the long term. Living off ketones is stressful longterm. Any improvement is likely due to the removal of unsaturated fats, not carbs or sugar.
    I meant that he saw remarkable results in a few weeks. That remarkably good health (especially for 86) has continued for quite a while since then. He has been taken off of four of his five meds and has 110/65 BP consistently. You can't tell me that that is a man experiencing a lot of stress.

As pointed out by Mark in todays post, one does not have to live exclusively off of ketones just because one is fat adapted. Being fat adapted gives you the option to live off both sources of energy. The ultimate in stress free. What is a system under stress is a sugar burner who is going to faint if they don't eat every three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    So, my diabetic dad got diabetes because it was so stressful?
    Yeah.

Did your dad have his cortisol, adrenaline, estrogen, ACTH, growth hormone, or free fatty acids measured before he was "diagnosed" as diabetic?

All of those hormones influence blood sugar, glycogen storage, and the release of free fatty acids, which if unsaturated, induce insulin resistance (randle cycle).

He should have been eating more cookies and everything would have been fine?
    Please don't put words in my mouth; I don't advocate cookies.

There is plenty of "real biological energy" to be had on a low carb diet. It's called ketones. This is not stressful at all.
    I didn't say that primal/paleo diets are incompatible with health, only that the paradigm is wrong.

Promoting energy production (the health of the mitochondria, the cell's ability to use oxygen and produce ATP) and limiting the hormones of adaptation (that are released when energy production is subpar) is the focus.

Ketones are an o.k. fuel, but they are produced under metabolic stress. The release of free fatty acids (unsaturated) is harmful and intensifies the stress response (increasing estrogen, serotonin, prolactin, etc.).

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah.

Did your dad have his cortisol, adrenaline, estrogen, ACTH, growth hormone, or free fatty acids measured before he was "diagnosed" as diabetic?

All of those hormones influence blood sugar, glycogen storage, and the release of free fatty acids, which if unsaturated, induce insulin resistance (randle cycle).

Please don't put words in my mouth; I don't advocate cookies.

I didn't say that primal/paleo diets are incompatible with health, only that the paradigm is wrong.

Promoting energy production (the health of the mitochondria, the cell's ability to use oxygen and produce ATP) and limiting the hormones of adaptation (that are released when energy production is subpar) is the focus.

Ketones are an o.k. fuel, but they are produced under metabolic stress. The release of free fatty acids (unsaturated) is harmful and intensifies the stress response (increasing estrogen, serotonin, prolactin, etc.).
    Dad didn't have any of those tests but that proves nothing. He is the ultimate in a stress free person. Excess carb also induces insulin resistance. You're contradicting yourself.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You do advocate eating sugar.

Have you ever seen Dr Terry Wahls TEDtalk about "Minding your mitochondria"? That's what Primal is all about.

There is no metabolic stress involved in using ketones for fuel. It is the most normal and natural thing in the world. What is stressful is jacking up your insulin levels repeatedly with sugar which is nutritionally void. This leaves you with compromised leptin receptivity and severely malnourished due to sugar displacing more nutritionally dense foods.

A sugar burning metabolism experiences severe stress every few hours, must eat now or faint. A fat burning metabolism can go all day with stable body chemistry and energy levels. But we should eat sugar to lower our stress? Get your facts straight.

He is the ultimate in a stress free person.
    You know what's happening with your father at the hormonal/cellular level?

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You do advocate eating sugar.
    Cookies are literally sugar?

There is no metabolic stress involved in using ketones for fuel.
    Adrenaline, ACTH, and various other hormones are involved in mobilizing fat when liver glycogen is insufficient.

Are you familiar with these hormones and their functions?

A sugar burning metabolism experiences severe stress every few hours, must eat now or faint.
    Are you familiar with the liver and its ability to store glucose (glycogen)?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Danny, why the antagonistic tone? Why can't sugar be debated on its merits?

e.g.
    "Fructose is good for you because ..... increases CO2 levels in the mitochondria which makes it more efficient .... " etc

While the comeback to that would presumably be something along the lines of
    "Fructose is bad because ..... taxes or damages the liver .... is an oxidative force ... leptin resistance ... bacterial and cancer growth ...."

Yes?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Paleobird Guest
    You know what's happening with your father at the hormonal/cellular level?

Cookies are literally sugar?

Adrenaline, ACTH, and various other hormones are involved in mobilizing fat when liver glycogen is insufficient.
    Are you familiar with these hormones and their functions?

Are you familiar with the liver and its ability to store glucose (glycogen)?
    No, I don't know via a blood test what my Dad's hormones are doing and neither do you. I do know the positive difference that Primal eating has made for him. If getting fat adapted causes so much stress, why did his blood pressure come down so dramatically?

Cookies were the first high sugar item that came to mind. Would it make you happy if people ate spoonfuls of pure table sugar instead?

Yes.

Yes.

And, magic, the reason for his antagonistic tone is because he knows he is up against someone who sees through his BS.

@magicmerl,

Honestly, who's being antagonistic? @paleobird is claiming to know things that are unknowable without lab work.

She is telling me my work is garbage and using her dad's experience as evidence. I'm sorry, but I don't find that compelling.

@paleobird sounds confused, as she is arguing the merits of a paleo diet, which I have already noted is not incompatible with health.

Page 4 of 81 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast