Page 39 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 39

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    It's definitely very difficult. I struggle with it too.
    I have to say... I have quite a few friends who aren't gullible, know their own mind, but are still open to new ideas and things. You can do it if you don't identify so much with your beliefs.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    This is exactly it. People want to defend to "Primal Canon" and don't realize that it changes. Mark, to his credit, changes primal, slowly but surely. Much of that change is spurred by threads like this.
    Mark always said that calories matter, see chapter 8 in the PB. It's just that a lot of the people on the forum didn't want to hear that. Eating bacon by the pound is more fun.

The 2012 paperback edition is billed as being "Updated and expanded". (I don't have a copy yet.)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    I don't think you can generalize that for all humans. I am not trying to imply that either. You should do what makes you feel best. If I do 2-3 larger meals and/or IF I get bloated and gassy, more reflux and just feel crappy and lathargic. I can't handle large meals, no matter the diet. That's why the 5-6 smaller meals works better for me. I have no problems with fat storage. I am 6 feet tall, 152lbs and 10% body fat. If anything, I have problems gaining weight.
    My goodness. No wonder. By all means, eat, anything you want including sweetened OJ and milk. You have no reserves to tap into while IFing so it makes sense that that is not optimal for you.

bopfer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I have to say... I have quite a few friends who aren't gullible, know their own mind, but are still open to new ideas and things. You can do it if you don't identify so much with your beliefs.
    The most common response I get is "Everything in moderation", which pretty much shuts down the conversation. I mostly just let people come to me now. When they ask me questions, they are much more open minded to what I tell them.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It's totally fine to be skeptical - mild skepticism is healthy. How do you stay skeptical and at the same time be open-minded and not stubborn? If ANYONE can walk that line I'll be very impressed. I don't think it's been done by a mortal.
    You just have to be willing to accept that what you are trying may be wrong. Failure is not that big of a deal, neither is being wrong. I am skeptical of everything I read and try - and it's usually wrong and turns out to be a waste of my time and money - but I just don't care. I keep trying new things even though I know they will likely fail.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    I like Paleobird. She's very smart, very experienced and sticks to her guns. She's not afraid to stand her ground and I respect her for that. In a lot of ways we're a lot alike, and it gets us into trouble. She knows what works well for her, so she's naturally stubborn and resistant to change when she's had so much success. It's understandable.

I'm a bit younger so I'm probably by definition more open-minded and more open to change. I'm at the point in my life where experimentation is still fun. The issue with being open-minded is you can't be so open-minded you let your brains leak out.

The issue with The Primal Blueprint is we KNOW it works very well, and CW is so incredibly ass-backwards with nutrition we lose faith in all things CW. It's tough to meter it. Because of the PB, I'm wary of all conventional wisdom, but the fact is conventional wisdom is so because it's typically correct. Nutrition is just where it's horribly, horribly wrong. It's totally fine to be skeptical - mild skepticism is healthy. How do you stay skeptical and at the same time be open-minded and not stubborn? If ANYONE can walk that line I'll be very impressed. I don't think it's been done by a mortal.
    Thank you, Sweetums.
    Not all us old folks are done experimenting. I'm not. It's just that I have had the time to see so many fads and fashions in nutrition come and go that I can recognize a paradigm shift from a fad. PB/paleo/low(er) carb is a paradigm shift. Peat is a fad.

I agree that CW nutrition is mostly hogwash. This is why Peat's ideas strike me as more of the same just in different packaging. He keeps talking about frequent high energy density feedings to keep your metabolism ramped up. This is just CW revisited.

Paleobird Guest
    I buy Knox unflavored gelatin. It's right next to the Jello in the grocery store. I think it's around $1.49 for a 3 pack container. I keep them on hand to make ice cream. No smell.

I don't believe that. Martin Berkhan has shown pretty definitively that, at least for men, smaller feeding periods and less meals with the same caloric totals provide better results. They consistently have less issues with "stubborn fat" because the longer fasting periods increase the oxidation of alpha-2 receptors, which is the notoriously hard fat to get rid of (bellybutton fat on men and thigh fat on women). In addition, since Ray Peat is all about minimizing stress on the body, I'm not sure how you could support so much eating and stressing the digestive system so much. You are constantly walking around with elevated insulin and blood glucose, never giving yourself time to normalize and never giving your digestive system a break until you're asleep. Humans weren't made to snack all day. We are not cows, we are not grazers.
    Yep. I make iced tea Knox blocks.

Well said. I think it was the guy at Free the Animal that said "eat like a predator, not like prey"

bopfer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My goodness. No wonder. By all means, eat, anything you want including sweetened OJ and milk. You have no reserves to tap into while IFing so it makes sense that that is not optimal for you.
    On Paleo/Primal, which included IF and less meals, I was 135lbs, 6% body fat and looked sick and emaciated. Many people asked me if I had cancer. Even adding in "safe starches" for a few months didn't help.

No thanks. I will take what I have now over that any day. Like I said, do what works for you.

bopfer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    PB/paleo/low(er) carb is a paradigm shift. Peat is a fad.
    Paleo and low-carb is most definitely a fad. Eating Real Food is real the paradigm shift.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by homunculus View Post
    I'm really interested in Peats ideas. I was low carb for a few months (not strict as I had a few high carb days, and not intentionally, I just don't like many high carb foods). But now my hair is falling out in clumps, and I stopped menstruating a few months ago. Not really something that should happen when I'm 19. I increased my carbs for the last 2-3 months but nothing changed, and I was healthy before. I guessed this was thyroid related but I didn't want to think it was caused by my change in diet( I really enjoy eating this way) so I want to try some of Peats ideas to fix this.
    Especially since you say it was only a few months and you were "not strict", I really don't think this can be blamed on lowering your carbs. It, does, however sound like you have some real medical issues and consulting a doctor would be a good thing to do. Chasing off after the next guru who says you can eat sugar, probably not so much.

Page 39 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast