Page 37 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 37

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    That was on a SAD diet though, right? I would say it's the PUFA+sugar combo that causes those issues (plus possible genetic traits). I can easily go 16 hours(dinner to lunch) if I need to, even on a Peat diet. I have done it several times when needing to fast for a blood draw. But, I am not going to put my body through that stress any more than I have to.
    I'm an example of someone who never ate on the SAD. I went from healthy clean food that was low fat/high carb/minimal protein to healthy clean food that was low carb/higher fat/moderate protein when I went Primal. So none of the changes in me can be blamed on the bad oils.

Fasting is not at all stressful on a fat burning metabolism that has reserves to tap. I can see how it would be massively stressful to a sugar burner.

A fat burning state does exist. Many live there happily. I'm sorry if you never found it but that doesn't mean it isn't real.

Perhaps eating six times a day may have been part of the reason you never experienced this for yourself.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-10-2012 at 10:45 PM.

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It still says nothing about HOW.
    Search "cytomel" and "body building" in google. Body builders have used cytomel (T3) for years to "cut"—shed weight before contests.

I don't think I need to explain that cortisol makes losing weight rather difficult due to its anti-metabolic effects—same goes for all the stress hormones—they suppress the ability of the cell to produce energy.

You keep focusing on "restoring the metabolic rate". This sounds a lot like the slim-fast shake plan, lots of protein, calcium, and sugar with very little fat administered on a frequent basis.
    Are you familiar with what the metabolic rate is? The rate at which one burns calories?

Many people, not just me, have found that lower carbs and/or slower carbs such as sweet potatoes work well in combination with adequate protein and higher fat. They have found that this gives them a constant metabolic rate, without the roller coaster ride of a sugar burning metabolism.
    Efficiently storing glycogen would allow one to not eat for ~24 hours without needing stress hormones to compensate for the lack of glucose.

If someone has a "roller coaster ride" when consuming a lot of fruit (or white sugar) it means their ability to store glycogen has been compromised (excessive stress, low thyroid, poor liver function), not that they need to eat a high-fat diet.

But of course you know all of this. No wait you wouldn't. You haven't read Mark Sisson's book.
    You've suggested several times that I would learn "a thing or two" if I read Sisson's book, but if this chart is in his book, it sounds like you don't even agree with it.

The Primal Blueprint Diagrams | Mark's Daily Apple

If this chart was accurate, Durianrider would be beyond obese.

If a plan is going to displace a lot of nutritionally dense foods with calorically dense but nutritionally sparse ones, that is cause for concern.
    Milk, eggs, liver, coffee, seafood, red meat, and orange juice are "nutritionally sparse"?

Without T3 and progesterone you're unable to retain magnesium. Without carbon dioxide, the cell loses magnesium/potassium and takes up calcium/sodium. Without T3 you cannot use vitamin A (retinol) and you cannot convert beta carotene to vitamin A.

Orange juice & supplemental white sugar increase T3.

Reducing calories is less stressful when you reduce carbs first.
    @paleobird please explain this statement without using the vacant phrases "sugar burner", "fat burner", or "dual burner".

Instead give us your personal insights on cortisol, adrenaline, ACTH, and the other hormones you told me you were familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    Adrenaline, ACTH, and various other hormones are involved in mobilizing fat when liver glycogen is insufficient.

Are you familiar with these hormones and their functions?

Yes.
    Last edited by dannyroddy; 07-11-2012 at 10:38 AM.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    You've suggested several times that I would learn "a thing or two" if I read Sisson's book, but if this chart is in his book, it sounds like you don't even agree with it.

The Primal Blueprint Diagrams | Mark's Daily Apple

If this chart was accurate, Durianrider would beyond obese.
    I've read the book. It goes on and on about being a sugar burner vs. a fat burning beast. The book does a poor job of adequately explaining why specific foods or food groups are bad. It places too much emphasis on removing processed foods, sugar, and eating organic, grassfed, sustainable, local foods and all the other bullshit I'm sure you hear living in San Francisco versus actually eliminating foods that cause a large amount of damage to the body, such as wheat and PUFAs.

Of course the carbohydrate pyramid is a joke. Half the book sucks. This is why the rest of the health and fitness community has such a low opinion of primal and paleo. Sure, whole grains and tofu aren't good for you, but that material is hidden behind rows and rows of pure misinformation.
    Last edited by SteakNchop; 07-11-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Danny Roddy

Why did you go 0 carb for 2 years?
    Life. Be in it.

homunculus is offline Member
    I'm really interested in Peats ideas. I was low carb for a few months (not strict as I had a few high carb days, and not intentionally, I just don't like many high carb foods). But now my hair is falling out in clumps, and I stopped menstruating a few months ago. Not really something that should happen when I'm 19. I increased my carbs for the last 2-3 months but nothing changed, and I was healthy before. I guessed this was thyroid related but I didn't want to think it was caused by my change in diet( I really enjoy eating this way) so I want to try some of Peats ideas to fix this.
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't think it's untrue. I think she's uncomfortable with the subject being discussed here. There's a whole lot here that I don't agree with and don't understand, but I'm interested in learning because Danny is much better researched than I am. Even if he's not totally correct, he's surely correct about some things, so I want to learn a new approach. I feel she'd prefer the thread not exist than challenge what she's comfortable with. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I believe. I wouldn't say I'm trolling her. She takes shots at me, I take shots at her - it's a thing we have, and honestly we both deserve it half of the time because we both completely lack tact. Deep down we probably both enjoy it. There's nothing else better to do at 11:30pm on a Tuesday night. I mean what am I gonna do, sleep?

You'd be surprised how many people on this site think calories don't matter and it's "all about insulin." Mark used to promote that idea liberally and is just recently starting to come around on calories. Before, this site was populated by people that read Taubes, and the answer to weight loss was to "add more fat" - seriously, wrap your head around that: if you're not losing body fat, add more oil to what you're eating. That is what I truly believed for the first 4-6 months when I started the PB. The forum has become a lot more carb and calorie friendly over the past year and a half. It used to not be this way.

I prefer a more isocaloric approach. I feel and preform best with an even amount of fat and carbohydrate. If I had to define how I eat, I'd say 30/40/30 fat/protein/carbs. When I first started I used to be 60/30/10.
    This is exactly it. People want to defend to "Primal Canon" and don't realize that it changes. Mark, to his credit, changes primal, slowly but surely. Much of that change is spurred by threads like this.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteakNchop View Post
    I've read the book. It goes on and on about being a sugar burner vs. a fat burning beast. The book does a poor job of adequately explaining why specific foods or food groups are bad. It places too much emphasis on removing processed foods, sugar, and eating organic, grassfed, sustainable, local foods and all the other bullshit I'm sure you hear living in San Francisco versus actually eliminating foods that cause a large amount of damage to the body, such as wheat and PUFAs.

Of course the carbohydrate pyramid is a joke. Half the book sucks. This is why the rest of the health and fitness community has such a low opinion of primal and paleo. Sure, whole grains and tofu aren't good for you, but that material is hidden behind rows and rows of pure misinformation.
    I really wish Mark would release a newer, better version. His blog posts have caught up, now his book needs to. I don't know why he doesn't, it would generate tons of cash. Hopefully he's working on it.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    There's something I'm having a hard time understanding.

For most of my life, I overall ate healthy foods (raw local dairy, vegetables, fruits, virgin olive oil, fish, etc...) but I've ALSO always eaten a high level of sugar and salt - and in all those years of eating very high levels of sugar and moderate levels of salt, I still had all the hypothyroid symptoms I have now, with totally normal thyroid levels on my bloodwork.

In fact, even with eating tons of sugar and plenty of salt, my blood pressure and pulse were always at the low end of normal, and a body temperature that was consistently extremely low.

I'm wondering what Ray or Danny would suggest for someone who continues to have hypothyroid symptoms (extremely low body temps, cold hands/feet, extreme sensitivity to cold, thinning hair, low metabolism, etc..) when eating high levels of salt and sugar don't seem to make a difference in these symptoms.

I am just starting to raise my body temperature to a more normal range using cold thermogenesis. (Previously my basal temp was 96.7 upon waking, in the low 97s during the day, and is now at 98.1)

I haven't found any articles where Ray discusses using this method for improving thyroid and metabolism. Wondering if it could be just as good or better than sugar and salt, since it seems to be working for me, whereas a diet high in sugar and salt didn't.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 07-11-2012 at 09:38 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by They call me BUTTLOCK View Post
    Are you using the gelatin sold normally in stores, or something like this:: Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin, Kosher: Grocery & Gourmet Food.

I have 4 canisters of those, and after using a bit ... I don't think they would work in your recipe, haha. Very stinky, not exactly flavorless.
    I buy Knox unflavored gelatin. It's right next to the Jello in the grocery store. I think it's around $1.49 for a 3 pack container. I keep them on hand to make ice cream. No smell.
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    It's irrelevant how many times one eats per day. I ate 6 times a day when eating paleo and SAD. I do have days where I only eat 3 times, but most of the time it's 5 or 6. I feel better that way no matter the diet.
    I don't believe that. Martin Berkhan has shown pretty definitively that, at least for men, smaller feeding periods and less meals with the same caloric totals provide better results. They consistently have less issues with "stubborn fat" because the longer fasting periods increase the oxidation of alpha-2 receptors, which is the notoriously hard fat to get rid of (bellybutton fat on men and thigh fat on women). In addition, since Ray Peat is all about minimizing stress on the body, I'm not sure how you could support so much eating and stressing the digestive system so much. You are constantly walking around with elevated insulin and blood glucose, never giving yourself time to normalize and never giving your digestive system a break until you're asleep. Humans weren't made to snack all day. We are not cows, we are not grazers.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-11-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    BestBetter, when you say you've always eaten lots of salt, is that iodized salt?

Page 37 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast