Page 36 of 81 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 36

bopfer is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by They call me BUTTLOCK View Post
    Are you using the gelatin sold normally in stores, or something like this:: Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin, Kosher: Grocery & Gourmet Food.

I have 4 canisters of those, and after using a bit ... I don't think they would work in your recipe, haha. Very stinky, not exactly flavorless.
    Yes, I use Great Lakes. There are 2 kinds. The orange can is regular gelatin, which is used in things like marshmallows and jello (both of which I make on occasion). The green can is hydrolyzed and doesn't gum up. So, you can add it to cold liquid as a protein powder.

bopfer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hmmm. "Eat six times a day to keep your metabolism up". Seems I've heard that somewhere before.............
    It's irrelevant how many times one eats per day. I ate 6 times a day when eating paleo and SAD. I do have days where I only eat 3 times, but most of the time it's 5 or 6. I feel better that way no matter the diet.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by They call me BUTTLOCK View Post
    My goal is weight loss, but I have some other issues (basically every symptom of PCOS except the period thing).

Is that how you guys did it? You just kinda came up with a number and tested? If you maintained, you created a deficit to lose?
    Sorry, I can't really help with weight loss, since that's not what I'm aiming of or have really achieved. I lost about 5kg of water weight when I first went low carb, and since then have lost about 10kg in a year, which I think is pretty slow. However, I've taken about 15cm off my waist (my current newest belt is too big, boo hoo) and my bodyfat has gone from about 27% to 21%.

To all the random pro-salt comments: I have noticed that I now salt my food quite prodigiously (I NEVER used to salt my food pre-primal). What's the science or explanation behind that? Any links to share?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    Yes, I use Great Lakes. There are 2 kinds. The orange can is regular gelatin, which is used in things like marshmallows and jello (both of which I make on occasion). The green can is hydrolyzed and doesn't gum up. So, you can add it to cold liquid as a protein powder.
    Oh crap, I knew that and forgot. Ha, thanks.

(and thanks to all answering my questions. i appreciate it ... a lot)

Paleobird Guest
    It's irrelevant how many times one eats per day. I ate 6 times a day when eating paleo and SAD. I do have days where I only eat 3 times, but most of the time it's 5 or 6. I feel better that way no matter the diet.
    The relevance is that, with a fat burning metabolism which one gets by eating on the Primal plan, you don't *need* to eat so often. It is easy to skip the snacks entirely and even skip meals while maintaining stable blood sugar and energy levels.

bopfer is offline Member
    The relevance is that, with a fat burning metabolism which one gets by eating on the Primal plan, you don't *need* to eat so often. It is easy to skip the snacks entirely and even skip meals while maintaining stable blood sugar and energy levels.
    Didn't work for me and many people I know. And I stuck to it for a long time thinking "Any day now, I will be fat adapted". BS. There's no such thing. Not in today's world at least. Running on fat is stressful. That on top of our modern, stressful life is a recipe for disaster.

bopfer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    To all the random pro-salt comments: I have noticed that I now salt my food quite prodigiously (I NEVER used to salt my food pre-primal). What's the science or explanation behind that? Any links to share?
    Basically, salt is anti-stress, anti-inflammatory and pro-thyroid. You can check out Peat's article: Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity

Or read Matt Stone's summary:
    Ray Peat – Salt – 180 Degree Health

And before anyone (PaleoBird, I am looking at you) goes off on Matt Stone, I am not endorsing him. He just did a pretty good series of posts in May 2011 summarizing Peat's ideas

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Didn't work for me and many people I know. And I stuck to it for a long time thinking "Any day now, I will be fat adapted". BS. There's no such thing. Not in today's world at least. Running on fat is stressful. That on top of our modern, stressful life is a recipe for disaster.
    Hmmmm....I used to get shaky, sweaty, nauseous and desperate to eat when I missed a meal before going primal. Now, when I am eating properly I can sometimes easily go 16 hours without even thinking about food. I know which one was more stressful for my body for sure.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

bopfer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Hmmmm....I used to get shaky, sweaty, nauseous and desperate to eat when I missed a meal before going primal. Now, when I am eating properly I can sometimes easily go 16 hours without even thinking about food. I know which one was more stressful for my body for sure.
    That was on a SAD diet though, right? I would say it's the PUFA+sugar combo that causes those issues (plus possible genetic traits). I can easily go 16 hours(dinner to lunch) if I need to, even on a Peat diet. I have done it several times when needing to fast for a blood draw. But, I am not going to put my body through that stress any more than I have to.

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    I agree with this. Before primal I used to graze all day - I was constantly eating and always wanted food. Now if I wait for myself to get truly hungry before eating, I'd have to wait around 40 hrs and even then I don't feel like I need to eat.

Page 36 of 81 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast