Page 29 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 29

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Bloodorchid, how was your day today?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

otzi Guest
    My sister just said, "Oh, crap. Kids will be up all night now--they just got into a bag of gummy bears and they are wired!".

So why is it that giving kids sugar makes them so hyper? I never noticed it in me, and you never really hear adults talk about a 'sugar rush'.

What's up with that?

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Bloodorchid, how was your day today?
    hi grumpy my day was fine, uneventful *nod*

how was yours?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    My sister just said, "Oh, crap. Kids will be up all night now--they just got into a bag of gummy bears and they are wired!".

So why is it that giving kids sugar makes them so hyper? I never noticed it in me, and you never really hear adults talk about a 'sugar rush'.

What's up with that?
    Yeah - and it's never a good hyper. It's always a winey-melting down all the time-tearing up the house kind of of hyper.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    My mother-in-law tells me that when she eats sugar in the afternoon or evening she can't sleep, tosses and turns, and is sweaty all night.

The only thing I ever noticed it the sudden onset, smack in the forehead, sugar headache that I used to get every single time I tried to drink a soft drink... including the ones in glass bottles when I was a kid, before HFCS took over the world.
    Sodas have never been a friend to me...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    hi grumpy my day was fine, uneventful *nod*

how was yours?
    That's cool, I guess. I did some sprints and ate a lot of food and maybe in a bit I will play some League of Legends.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    yeah that's cool too, i guess
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I used to crave cigarettes, but I'm pretty sure they weren't good for me. Heroin too..... just kidding

But aren't we just splitting hairs about whether we're addicted to sugar or the foodstuffs they come in? I've binged on apples, and used to eat jars of honey. I suspect we're addicted to the insulin response, and we know that sugary foods give us one of the biggest hits.

Anyway, going back to the thread - I was shocked at what Danny was saying initially, but I really don't think it seems that unreasonable now. For hypothyroid people he suggests supplementing with a spoonful of sugar til they improve their metabolic rate, and that everyone else should include fruit and OJ as their carbs, as opposed to starches.

When I met my first Paleo man, and he told me he didn't eat fruit, I thought he was insane. What's happened to me that now I think eating fruit is insane?!

cfrizzle88 made a very good point, that "Yes, sugar is devoid of nutrients, but in a diet that includes plenty of milk, meat, liver, broth, seafood, eggs, etc..it's not going to cause a "depletion" will make your body utilize them (nutrients) better due to the improved thyroid function. Coconut oil is completely devoid of nutrients just as white sugar is. Does that make it bad? No. The short and medium chain fatty acids and the highly saturated profile is what makes it beneficial, not the nutrient profile."

There was also a thread a while back about if it's possible to put on weight on primal, and there were mixed answers of yay and nay.

Anyway, I don't know much, but I know that all the conflicting info is reminding me that more balance might be the way for me.

Danny, a question -

You said: "Saturated fats (especially coconut oil) and sugar both suppress the release of fats from the tissue."

Do you mean that consuming saturated fats will actually stop you from losing fat? I thought if you wanted to burn fat you needed to eat fat?

Also, would moderate amounts of 85% chocolate suffice as the sugar that can keep our metabolic rate up? And how much fruit a day would you advocate?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-09-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added very important question (about chocolate)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuwapyunco View Post
    A few weeks is far too little time to judge anything. Stress makes one feel good in the short term and does it's damage in the long term. Living off ketones is stressful longterm. Any improvement is likely due to the removal of unsaturated fats, not carbs or sugar.
    Bullshit.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Bullshit.
    Heh. They got you.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 29 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast