Page 28 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 28

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jocelyn357 View Post
    EXACTLY my experience. The sugar outside of the context of grains and PUFA's was a TOTALLY different experience for me.
    My grandmother was deeply addicted to hard candies, ate them all day every day, and southern Divinity (sugar and egg whites whipped into a soft puffy candy).
    It was incredibly hard to get her to stop eating these things after her diabetes diagnosis.

So, I'd say yes... sugar can be very addicting even without grains and fats involved.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    My grandmother was deeply addicted to hard candies, ate them all day every day, and southern Divinity (sugar and egg whites whipped into a soft puffy candy).
    It was incredibly hard to get her to stop eating these things after her diabetes diagnosis.

So, I'd say yes... sugar can be very addicting even without grains and fats involved.
    But would she have been willing to just eat the sugar plain from a spoon to feed that addicition? Or was it the method of delivery ie the hard or puffy mouthfeel she truly enjoyed? I am not trying to be a smart a** or funny? These are things I have had to ask myself trying to figure out my own food issues. I have long since determined that my sweettooth encompassed the entire package of delivery ie cake, candy etc. I have no desire ever to eat granulated candy by itself. So when I push for these answers it is only my own thought process and wonderings that I am exploring.

..also in reply to whomever wanted to know if my FIL uses insulin or oral meds. He useses insulin and since eliminating grains and seed oils has dropped his dose from 19 ? to 12 ? and no I do not know what that means exactly, lol. I only know that he is pleased and at almost 9o with no other health issues so is his doctor. He just got off the phone a bit ago and I had DH ask about his OJ consumption, still 1/2 gallon everyday! He loves that stuff.

I could never in my life imagine eating sweets the way I did back in the day. But I do fully admit that I like desserts and anyone who has visited my food blog will find LOTS of treats using stevia, raw honey, and some coconut crystals. But I NEVER use grains, glutens or any harmful oils I would consider using some raw sugar if the evidence convinced me it was somehow in my best interest! I believe that what is TRUE and right changes consistantly over time. It is the nature of growth and learning and discovery. Again this all my own mind wanderings!!!

Paleobird Guest
    Weight gain on Ray Peat Protocol - PaleoHacks.com

It's no surprise that a lot of people report weight gain on Peat's plan. Calorically dense but nutrient sparse things such as sugar are going to do one of two things if you add them to your diet.

1) If you keep it iso-caloric, they will displace other more nutrient dense foods you could be eating and potentially leave you with gaps in your micronutrient intake.

2) If you add them in on top of your normal diet, you are just taking in extra calories and getting nothing for it nutritionally. It is also very easy to over-consume liquid calories such as OJ.

I would also be interested in a response to the OP's question about dental health.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrizzle88 View Post
    I struggled with the idea before I started doing it. I'm no expert by any means, however, you can go back to what Danny said regarding thyroid hormone being a key factor in nutrient/mineral absorption. Sugar can greatly improve that thyroid function, resulting in a body that is better able to utilize what is given to it. He still recommends OJ as the bulk of carbohydrate intake (as well as the natural sugars milk) which has a decent amount of vit/min in it. Sugar is used more as a "supplement" or therapeutic agent.

Yes, sugar is devoid of nutrients, but in a diet that includes plenty of milk, meat, liver, broth, seafood, eggs, etc..it's not going to cause a "depletion", but, going back to the above statement, will make your body utilize them (nutrients) better due to the improved thyroid function.

Coconut oil (which is highly touted here), is completely devoid of nutrients just as white sugar is. Does that make it bad? No. The short and medium chain fatty acids and the highly saturated profile is what makes it beneficial, not the nutrient profile. This is similar to the glucose/fructose combination of white sugar, it's not the nutrients that make it beneficial, it's the hormonal effect from the thyroid/metabolism supportive energy that is produced.

Here's the breakdown of coconut oil.

Coconut Oil Nutritional Profile

I had good results on a high meat low carb diet, but they began to wane after a period of time. Personally, I wish I could eat only meat and be fine purely for simplicity's sake.

Experience is everything, I've ran the gamut of primal, peat, ZC, paleo, you name it. You can speculate on whether it's good/bad for days, I suggest somebody here actually try it with an open mind and then come to their own conclusion.
    God this thread is moving fast! Great answer - thanks

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    But would she have been willing to just eat the sugar plain from a spoon to feed that addicition? Or was it the method of delivery ie the hard or puffy mouthfeel she truly enjoyed? I am not trying to be a smart a** or funny? These are things I have had to ask myself trying to figure out my own food issues. I have long since determined that my sweettooth encompassed the entire package of delivery ie cake, candy etc. I have no desire ever to eat granulated candy by itself. So when I push for these answers it is only my own thought process and wonderings that I am exploring.
    I have, in absence of nicer packaged stuff been known to eat a few spoons of sugar during an evening's binge-prowl. Not something I'm proud of. Not something I like to admit.

I have not done this since cutting out all packaged foods and sticking to a small amount of fruit for my sweet treats.

bopfer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Weight gain on Ray Peat Protocol - PaleoHacks.com

It's no surprise that a lot of people report weight gain on Peat's plan. Calorically dense but nutrient sparse things such as sugar are going to do one of two things if you add them to your diet.

1) If you keep it iso-caloric, they will displace other more nutrient dense foods you could be eating and potentially leave you with gaps in your micronutrient intake.

2) If you add them in on top of your normal diet, you are just taking in extra calories and getting nothing for it nutritionally. It is also very easy to over-consume liquid calories such as OJ.
    I wouldn't say it's a calorie dense, nutrient sparse issue. As someone said previously, most people over eat on calories when they go to Peat eating. A lot of that is due to people not fully understanding Peat and gorging on ice cream, OJ and whole milk and still eating the amount of butter and coconut oil they did on Paleo/Primal. I did this at first, but after tracking my food for a few days, quickly found I was eating too many calories and too much fat. I think focusing on fruit is the key. It's pretty hard to overeat on something like cherries or nectarines. 1% or 2% milk can help too, but some people have issues with the emulsifiers used to add the A & D.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    I have, in absence of nicer packaged stuff been known to eat a few spoons of sugar during an evening's binge-prowl. Not something I'm proud of. Not something I like to admit.

I have not done this since cutting out all packaged foods and sticking to a small amount of fruit for my sweet treats.
    Very interesting! Thanks for weighing in with your honesty. I just took a poll amongst our neighbors, of the two who admitted to having a sweet tooth, neither would willingly eat just sugar to appease the urge, their choices were ice-cream or a candy bar. The other neighbors claim to prefer salty foods like chips or french fries yet they would not be inclined to eat salt alone. Just my own 'research'. Because I love learning new things. I am fascinated with the entire subject of food science and hbow our bodies react to it.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting! Thanks for weighing in with your honesty. I just took a poll amongst our neighbors, of the two who admitted to having a sweet tooth, neither would willingly eat just sugar to appease the urge, their choices were ice-cream or a candy bar. The other neighbors claim to prefer salty foods like chips or french fries yet they would not be inclined to eat salt alone. Just my own 'research'. Because I love learning new things. I am fascinated with the entire subject of food science and hbow our bodies react to it.
    Well, I guess that just goes to prove even if your addicted your not silly . I mean seriously, adding the potatoe to the salt or the cream to the sugar adds the only sustenance. So your body doesn't like a completely nutritionally void substance all on its own? Thats good.

Not trying to say KerryK was being silly, actually sounds rough and glad to hear you got it under control.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-09-2012 at 05:03 PM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I think it's entirely valid that she ate hard candy made from sugar constantly.
    Grandmother frequently became angry when her hard candies were traded for 'sugar-free' types. It was not the mouth feel, it was definitely the sugar she was after.
    She never ate the Divinity as often as it was a homemade confection and it was simply stopped. But she also became angry over sugar free meringues.
    She was seeking her drug of choice and would get angry/agitated and begin asking for anything with sugar in it. Tea (can't I get some sugar in it), yogurt (the sweet fruity sugary kind), all sorts of sugary snacks.
    If she got anything she had to setting for a piece of real fruit, and have something with it like deviled egg.
    Other wise she would be sugar seeking again in an hour or two.

Since in this thread the sugar is not being suggested to be used simply dry from the spoon or as an unflavored simple syrup I think this is a valid observation.
    The suggestions have been to drink filtered orange juice, soft drinks, and to stir white sugar into milk. All highly flavored sugary items.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-09-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 28 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast