Page 26 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 26

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    But agave syrup IS fructose 92% fructose...
    If it's fructose he is advocating you'd think it would be his best friend.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

dannyroddy is offline Member
    @Paleo Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sugar stimulates a physiological stressor-reaction cascade that provokes adrenaline and cortisol release and thickens the blood.
    Please consult a physiology text; this isn't accurate.

[B]Sugar effectively disables your immune system by impairing white blood cells’ functioning.
    What damages the immune system is stress; especially cortisol, which breaks down the thymus gland (immunity central).

[B]Sugar decreases your body’s production of leptin, a hormone critical for appetite regulation.
    I don't think leptin is very important in the grand scheme of things. Has anyone of the 9,000 visitors to this thread had their leptin measured? I doubt it.

[B]Sugar induces significant oxidative stress in the body.
    When unsaturated fats are exposed to oxygen they form free radicals and use up oxygen.

[B]Sugar appears to fuel cancer cells. (Check out Free the Animal for much more on the cancer connection.)
    Read Otto Warburg to clear this up.

[B]Sugar promotes fat storage and weight gain.
    A low metabolic rate and an increase in stress hormones promotes fat storage and weight gain.

[B]Sugar disrupts the effective transfer of amino acids to muscle tissue.
    Sugar enhances the transfer of amino acids into the muscle tissue, which is why bodybuilders routinely take dextrose and whey after workouts.

[B]Sugar intake over time spurs insulin resistance, subsequent Type II diabetes and the entire host of related health issues like nerve damage and cardiovascular disease.
    All of those things are the result of a low metabolic rate and stress hormones. Sugar increases the metabolic rate and decreases stress hormones.

Yes, sugar is one insanely powerful drug. Addictive, to boot.
    The craving for sugar, like salt, is a good indication that the body needs it.

Try to overdose on simple syrup alone.

Appetizing?

Addicting?
    Last edited by dannyroddy; 07-10-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post

for real tho now. there was a question asked and if it was answered i missed it. how would one lose weight on this way of eating? also, how would one normalize hormones in order to eat more fruit?
    Internet memes are pretty valid responses. Just kidding. There's still the first and third part of my post you missed. It's okay. But can we leave the melodramatic arguments and comments like
    But I'm just an emotional wreck, what would I know?
    out? So that people reading this thread can get some worthy stuff out of here? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by They call me BUTTLOCK View Post
    out? So that people reading this thread can get some worthy stuff out of here? Thanks.
    Have you been made moderator of MDA forums...
    Yeah, I didn't think so.

You are as welcome to leave as the people you are telling to.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Part of the problem is that Chaco often makes assertions based on his own assumptions for which there is no evidence at all.
    Actually, you're assuming that I'm assuming. I'll address this on a point-by-point basis.

For instance he has asserted more than once in this thread that he believes that humans evolved eating primarily roots, tuber, and fruits as those things would have always been abundant in equatorial areas. He completely dismisses the fact that there is no scientific basis for this as was thoroughly discussed earlier in this thread.
    Are you sure?

Paleolithic Timeline | Paleo Diet History | Book List | Evolvify

In other recent threads he made the assertion that sugar cane would be good to eat and that cottage cheese should always be low fat as it was traditionally made from the whey left over after making butter.
    Completely wrong on both counts. Sugar cane cane be chewed to get the sweet juice, but it entirely too fibrous to eat... And cottage cheese has always been made by a couple of methods, neither involving the whey left over after making butter. In one method, using cow dairy which is easily skimmed of cream, the cream was traditionally hand skimmed for butter leaving approximately 2% milk to make cottage cheese with, and in the other method they simply used the whole milk at 4-6% because of any of several reasons such as... no cold storage for cream to save for making butter, no time for butter making, milk needs consuming day of harvest, or they were using a different type of dairy such as goat milk that does not naturally separate for easy skimming.
    Traditional cottage cheese is made using the leftover whey from butter production. That would give it a very, very low fat content. Modern cottage cheese made with whole milk is a "newfangled" thing. If you don't like the answer, take it up with Ray Peat.

Peat is a big fan of dairy. He prefers milk with no added vitamins, raw if you can get it, but uses standard pasteurized-homogenized when there’s no alternative. He prefers cheese made without enzymes, just animal rennet. He doesn't use yogurt because of the lactic acid and/or lactobacillus. He avoids anything with gums in it, like cream cheese. Ice cream like Haagen Dazs is okay since it has no carageenan or gums like guar/carob bean– these are often found in foods like cream cheese, canned coconut milk, and half-and-half; make sure that the ice cream does not have any vegetable oil in it as some varieties include this. Regarding yogurt, in quantities of an ounce or so, for flavoring, it's o.k., but the lactic acid content isn't good if you are using yogurt as a major source of your protein and calcium; it triggers the inflammatory reactions, leading to fibrosis eventually, and the immediate effect is to draw down the liver's glycogen stores for energy to convert it into glucose. Cottage cheese, that is, milk curds with salt, is very good, if you can find it without additives, but traditional cottage cheese was almost fat-free, so when they make it with whole milk you should watch for other innovations that might not be beneficial.

Ray Peat Eating Guidelines : Semi Low-Carb Plans Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

He professed knowledge on these things with an air of expertise, and has done the same on other topics in the past, despite not even having the barest surface knowledge of them and was strictly using his opinion on the matter as a statement of truth.
    Again, an assumption by you. I don't write footnotes on everything I post. This is a forum, not an encyclopedia so I don't feel the need to cite myself. I don't just randomly make things up. The majority of what I post is memory consultation, and I have a somewhat decent memory.

I would also like to see all of those questions posed by Paleobird answered fully, and not just with dismissive single sentences as seems to be the norm in this post.
    That would depend on the question. Many questions are purposeful traps set to deliver specific answers.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Have you been made moderator of MDA forums...
    Yeah, I didn't think so.

You are as welcome to leave as the people you are telling to.
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would you tell me to leave a thread that may help me? That's actually infuriating and disheartening. Civil discussions really that hard? Aren't we here to help each other and learn? I don't get it. I don't come here all the time, but using your logic I might as well never come, because every other thread I see is soiled by egos and arguments.

NM. There's a way to ignore people. Cool.
    Last edited by They call me BUTTLOCK; 07-09-2012 at 12:37 PM.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Danny says that "A low metabolic rate and an increase in stress hormones promotes fat storage and weight gain." Then why does it seem that so many on Peat's plan that you are parroting gain weight? From reading on a couple forums, seems pretty much like any other thing-initially there is improvement but then some back sliding and in the case of this particular plan, weight gain. So if Peat's plan works to increase metabolic rate and decrease stress hormones--why would people gain weight doing it? Seems like a huge contradiction.

It obviously comes down to what works for the individual. It's just irritating that some, act like they definitively know the answers, when if you put Peat, Kruse and a host of other "experts" in the same room they would all cite science and studies and act like the opposing viewpoints are ridiculous.

I certainly don't have the answers but what I do know is that a whole lot more people seem to be having success with plan's like Primal than do those with Peat's approach.

Well that's cool... now I know that Ray Peat is also misinformed.
    What he is referencing is MODERN cottage cheese making from cow dairy only, where the milk was mechanically skimmed.
    And there were no issues with refrigeration.
    He is either being willfully ignorant or just presenting the information that he prefers to make his own case/support his own position.
    And nowhere in the quote you posted dose he say that it is made of whey, he says skimmed milk, which is possible. Your assumption of whey is just ridiculous. Ricotta is made from whey, and is about the largest particle size you can get from it.

The older traditions of cottage types of cheese encompass many more types of milk than just cow dairy. People did not have mechanical skimmers... and yet they were making *gasp* full fat cottage cheeses out of cow, goat, sheep, and other milks.

Man would have had roots, tubers, and fruits... but not all available in abundance year round. Seriously. Those lists are lists of dietary foods... not pantry items. Even in equatorial climates plants observe growing and resting seasons, flowering and Fruiting seasons. If you are ignoring that you are just being willfully ignorant.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-09-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i heart you cori. you take what i think and make it all rational
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

otzi Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    I think so. Keeping the metabolic rate up is important, so sugar, protein, salt, light, saturated fats and if necessary thyroid would all help in this area.
    Danny - You've made mention of needing 'thyroid' a couple times. Are you referring to thyroid hormone replacement when you say 'thyroid' in this context? If so, any thoughts on synthetic T4 (synthroid), Synthetic T3, Dessicated pig thyroid (Armour) etc...?

Page 26 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast