Page 23 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 23

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    A cup of sugar, gummy bears, and Mexican cola are hard to put in context until one adopts the idea that the metabolic rate is the underlining factor in health.
    Ok then, what is the evidence that the metabolic rate is the underlying factor in health? And what evidence is that 85 is better than say 70 or 60?

Because I was been labouring under the assumption that the lower your pulse rate is, the better.

Inflammatory stress hormones that increase during low thyroid, cause one to waste minerals.
    But hasn't it been shown that elevated CRP levels on low carb are only temporary?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Ok then, what is the evidence that the metabolic rate is the underlying factor in health? And what evidence is that 85 is better than say 70 or 60?
    In the 1930s accurate diagnoses of low thyroid was made by evaluating basal oxygen consumption, serum cholesterol, pulse rate, temperature, carotenemia (orange calluses), bowel function, and quality of hair and skin.

Active thyroid hormone, which energizes the cell, is essential for maintaining the integrity of our cells and producing the "protective" and "youthful" hormones pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, and testosterone.

When thyroid isn't around (low metabolic rate, low pulse, low temperature), adrenaline, cortisol, estrogen, and other adaptive hormones are needed to compensate for the reduced energy supply.

Because I was been labouring under the assumption that the lower your pulse rate is, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    @Neckhammer,

Consider the metabolism of a healthy young child; energy for days, high pulse, beaming with heat, vascular and pink.

Their regenerative abilities are the defining feature of youth.

Do you honestly believe that slowing down this youthful metabolism is a good thing?

How many healthy athletes do you know with low pulse rates? I don't know any.

Ask the women if they menstruate. Ask the men to remember the last time they've had a spontaneous erection.
    But hasn't it been shown that elevated CRP levels on low carb are only temporary?
    Like blood sugar handling issues, inflammation is a systemic problem not a local one. Low thyroid, high estrogen, high serotonin, high prolactin, high aldosterone, and elevated parathyroid hormone are all inflammatory.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    So, if I understand this right, to lose weight we should be eating very low fat and high sucrose, consuming fruit/juice every few hours? I'm all for raising metabolism, but this really sounds like a recipe for disaster, at least for me. I used to have to snack on something every few hours, and now that my blood sugar is much more stable, I can easily go most or all day without food if I want to - I can't imagine going back to consuming sugar all day long, because I did that (granted I was eating PUFAs and other bad stuff) and I MUCH prefer to not be a slave to constant doses of sugar.

What is the typical reaction of someone who is following this prescription and is unable to constantly snack/drink (say, when travelling) on some days...I'd imagine getting a low blood sugar headache or getting really irritable (how I used to get if I didn't eat every few hours).

Also, Ray is pretty clear on the health benefits of saturated fat...but I'm having trouble seeing how to both incorporate plenty of saturated fat in the diet, while keeping fat low simultaneously to prevent fat storae in the presence of all that fructose. I read the links provided, but I couldn't really find anything that specifically addressed this - it just said to eat low fat dairy.
    I have no idea how you reached this conclusion.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

So, 'metabolic rate' = 'thyroid levels'?

Consider the metabolism of a healthy young child; energy for days, high pulse, beaming with heat, vascular and pink.

Their regenerative abilities are the defining feature of youth.

Do you honestly believe that slowing down this youthful metabolism is a good thing?
    Isn't it an apples to oranges comparison to compare the metabolisms of a pre-pubescent child with that of an adult? I mean, it seems like this is all about your hormones being in balance with each other, and I imagine that a child has quite different hormone levels to an adult.

Like blood sugar handling issues, inflammation is a systemic problem not a local one. Low thyroid, high estrogen, high serotonin, high prolactin, high aldosterone, and elevated parathyroid hormone are all inflammatory.
    I had thought that oxidised particles were the primary culprits for inflammation. Is that incorrect?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

dannyroddy is offline Member
    So, 'metabolic rate' = 'thyroid levels'?
    It's more complex, but in a basic sense.

Isn't it an apples to oranges comparison to compare the metabolisms of a pre-pubescent child with that of an adult? I mean, it seems like this is all about your hormones being in balance with each other, and I imagine that a child has quite different hormone levels to an adult.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Children are very efficient at producing energy. Adults, not so much.

I had thought that oxidised particles were the primary culprits for inflammation. Is that incorrect?
    Not sure what you're talking about here either.

Masterjohn noted that oxidized cholesterol in the blood was the result of low thyroid function.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I have no idea how you reached this conclusion.
    by reading danny's posts

i reached the same conclusion
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    by reading danny's posts

i reached the same conclusion
    Then you came into this thread with a preconceived notion and you reached a negative conclusion in your mind because of it. That's what happened in the beginning pages. You have a bunch of people on this site who think the word "sugar" is the dirtiest word in the English language, and upon reading the title they go on a warpath instead of understanding the concept behind the message.

No one is saying to eat gobs of white sugar. Danny only said that would be appropriate in rare instances where someone's metabolic rate was so low it would be considered like a "supplement". You're not taking sugar to get energy, but rather to rescue your declining metabolic rate/thyroid. For most of us, he simply advocates eating less unsaturated fat (that includes monounsaturated fat) and eating less vegetables and more fruit in an attempt to raise the metabolic rate. Regardless of whether or not that fits into the (arbitrary) macronutrient profile you care to follow, it all fits well into the Primal Blueprint. Fruits contain significantly less anti-nutrients than vegetables anyway, and the nutrients, though less, are more readily available and not bound up in undigestible fiber and anti-nutrients. It's also easier on your digestive system thanks to eliminating all that insoluble fiber found in vegetables, so there are real benefits to the approach and it could be worth a shot.

I've been eating 3 heads of lettuce, 6 extra large cucumbers, 2 pounds of carrots, 3 pounds of peppers and God knows what else solely in the form of lunch salads for the past year, on top of whatever other vegetables I eat throughout the day. Maybe it would do be good to eat less vegetables and more fruits. This week I bought two watermelons, but still a huge quantity of vegetables. I may try lessening the greens for fruits and see how I feel.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-08-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    stop assuming you know what we think or how we feel when we type or what our levels of reading comprehension may be, choco, there are better hobbies and you look like a jerk in this thread

also, didn't your last food revelation leave you bloated and confused as to why?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    No one is saying to eat gobs of white sugar. Danny only said that would be appropriate in rare instances where someone's metabolic rate was so low it would be considered like a "supplement".
    I don't think that is correct. His website suggests adding sugar and salt to skim milk. It did not seem to indicate that was for rare individuals. He does call it a supplement though.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Then you came into this thread with a preconceived notion and you reached a negative conclusion in your mind because of it. That's what happened in the beginning pages. You have a bunch of people on this site who think the word "sugar" is the dirtiest word in the English language, and upon reading the title they go on a warpath instead of understanding the concept behind the message.
    Stop being a douche. Here's the MDA post on sugar. This is the MDA forums. If you disagree with that post, perhaps *you* are the person with preconceived notions. At the very least, the principles in that post seem to me to be a reasonable basis for a common understanding in the forums here and if we are deviating from it, I think that it's reasonable that everybody understands the baseline we are deviating from.

In this thread I tried to clarify by saying "However, if that sugar is being ingested exclusively in the form of fruits, that seems to me to be much more reasonable."
    And instead of confirmation/agreement I got this response from dannyroddy "A cup of sugar, gummy bears, and Mexican cola are hard to put in context until one adopts the idea that the metabolic rate is the underlining factor in health. "

Now you are wading in to say that you agree with danny, and that nobody is saying chow down on gobs of sugar. WTF?

Choco, *everybody* in this thread has their own 'preconceived notions'. Everybody. You're just the special flower that knows he's right and everybody else is wrong/neurotic/stupid.

I'm not saying that everything in 'the definitive guide to sugar' is right. But I think that zeroing in on what is wrong/missing/incomplete in that post is more helpful than being dismissive of people.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-09-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Page 23 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast