Page 22 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 22

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    These responses are confusing...

As I've read in other answers in this thread that the increased sugar consumption is supposed to increase thyroid function and clear out estrogen... And increase the ability to store glycogen...

However, when I was consuming sugary foods regularly, prior to anything anyone would ever describe as "low carb", I had rather frequent problems with mild to moderate hypoglycemic events. Despite all testing the doctors never found any reason... no pre-diabetes or that type thing.

It has been moving away from large inputs of sugar that have ceased this issue. I still eat a good number of carbs in my opinion, including fruits when I feel like it... but the more moderate diet that does not include large regular surges of sugar prevents the crashes. Before there were times that I literally felt like I was going to pass out, and was visibly shaking, if I didn't put some food into my mouth despite being over weight... that is certainly not healthy.
    Now I don't have to live my life around scheduled "inputs" such as meal times and snack times...

I'm sure you can understand how this sort of entrapped feeling, and the hypo crashes themselves, are stressful as well... and not an ideal living situation.
    Keep in mind, I'm not telling you to do anything, but your problems with sugar speaks about your particular metabolic situation, rather than about sugar itself.

If you wanted to explore things further, blood work (T3, T4, reverse T3, TSH, prolactin, serotonin) and self-diagnostics (pulse, temperature) are great places to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    Just curious - why refined coconut oil as opposed to virgin?
    Virgin can be allergenic and some don't like the taste.

Ika
    Ika is offline Member
    Hi Danny!! Glad to see you here. It's funny that I started out here on MDA, moved on to your blog and Dr. Peat's work, and now after not visiting MDA for awhile I happened across this wonderfully informative thread. What a great discussion!

I used to have hypoglycemic episodes much like the commenter above mentioned--which also went away when I went LC paleo, but only temporarily...they came back after I went really (<20g) low carb.

What I am wondering is--if/when a person has a good metabolism and thyroid, would they be able to go for most of the day without eating without getting hypoglycemia and feeling crappy? I'm guessing so, yes? What is the mechanism that the body would employ to do this; something to do with liver glycogen stores and probably breaking down fat tissue (which would probably be mostly saturated in an optimally healthy person?)?

I love this thread! I have lots more questions, but I need to think them through first so I can ask them in a (hopefully) intelligent manner LOL ;-)
    My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Quote Originally Posted by Ika View Post
    What I am wondering is--if/when a person has a good metabolism and thyroid, would they be able to go for most of the day without eating without getting hypoglycemia and feeling crappy? I'm guessing so, yes? What is the mechanism that the body would employ to do this; something to do with liver glycogen stores and probably breaking down fat tissue (which would probably be mostly saturated in an optimally healthy person?)?
    Yes.

When the thyroid is good, the liver is more efficient and can store adequate amounts of glycogen to get by for several hours.

I think following your appetite is a good guide though; the goal isn't necessarily to not be hungry.

Hans Selye (the father of stress) noted that one of the first signs of being sick was a reduced appetite.
    Last edited by dannyroddy; 07-08-2012 at 03:41 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The issue I have is this seems counter-evolutionary in my mind. Now, "red meat" seems to be the preferred meat because of its higher saturated fat:unsaturated fat ratio. This is classically the meat of ruminants, or planet-eating animals. Wikipedia gives a list: cattle, goats, sheep, giraffes, bison, moose, elk, yaks, water buffalo, deer, camels, alpacas, llamas, antelope, pronghorn, and nilgai.

Does anyone see a problem here?

These animals are big animals. They also possess the uncanny ability to run your ass over and stomp you to death if they feel threatened. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming the classic Paleo "2.5 million year timetable" of human evolution, for the overwhelming majority of that time we lacked the tools necessary to kill ruminants.
    Homo Erectus is a precursor to Homo Sapiens, and they had fire and could hunt. So I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that part of the problem with this thread is that it started off with 'SUGAR IS GOOD, EAT LOTS', which most people (myself included) interpreted to be a blessing on white sugar. However, if that sugar is being ingested exclusively in the form of fruits, that seems to me to be much more reasonable.

Our family had already 'adapted' to a high fruit lifestyle, since that's the snack of choice for our children.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    However, if that sugar is being ingested exclusively in the form of fruits, that seems to me to be much more reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy
    A cup of sugar, gummy bears, and Mexican cola are hard to put in context until one adopts the idea that the metabolic rate is the underlining factor in health.

Fruit is probably "optimal", but for someone with a very low metabolic rate the addition of white sugar is like night and day.

Nutritionism to a certain point is not helpful. Thyroid hormone is needed to absorb a variety of vitamins and minerals and is needed in general for mineral balance.

Inflammatory stress hormones that increase during low thyroid, cause one to waste minerals.

Just adopting a 'solid traditional diet' may or may not address any of this.

Sugar, however, can be used like a supplement to increase the metabolic rate.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    How exactly would we know if we need to supplement with 'sugar' and not just fruit? How exactly would that be incorporated. Is there a link that we can follow to see how the eating plan for this style is laid out?

Interesting observation~MY FIl is diabetic and for at least 15 years and consistantly drinks a 1/2 gallon of OJ everyday! My DH and his siblings have gotten onto him about this for years but he does it none the less. I took him for a check up once and asked his doctor about it and he said it was fine!!! My FIL blood sugars are always in the low 90's upon arising and he never feels bad! He lives on his own at 89 and functions perfectly.. More HMMMMM~

Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Interesting observation~MY FIl is diabetic and for at least 15 years and consistantly drinks a 1/2 gallon of OJ everyday! My DH and his siblings have gotten onto him about this for years but he does it none the less. I took him for a check up once and asked his doctor about it and he said it was fine!!! My FIL blood sugars are always in the low 90's upon arising and he never feels bad! He lives on his own at 89 and functions perfectly.. More HMMMMM~
    Drinking milk is easier when you add sugar to it, same with orange juice.

It's not necessary, just easier, and maybe "quicker."

Remember, think supplement.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    How exactly would we know if we need to supplement with 'sugar' and not just fruit? How exactly would that be incorporated. Is there a link that we can follow to see how the eating plan for this style is laid out?

Insulin or oral meds?

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    I am enjoying this thread, but wish everyone would clarify what they mean by low carb. I know it's been asked and answered once, but I wonder if everyone means the same. Several more recent people here posted about going low carb and feeling better once they upped their carb ante. It's all so vague for me. I'm assuming they were all below 50 g a day and upped to 100-150 g. I just wished I knew for sure...

Same for other threads...
    Everyone has definition it seems. Some people talk about upping their carbs by adding an onion to their meals. lol
    I usually see it as. VLC = Only vegetables meat, eggs and maybe some berries. Non starch vegetables are said to provide hardly any usable carbohydrate.

Low carb = Meat, eggs, vegetables, some potatoes and some fruit besides berries.

Moderate = Fruit and starch making up a significant amount but still less than the SAD 55% carbohydrate level.

High = Above 55%, usually with potatoes, rice, coconut water and juice.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 07-08-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Page 22 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast