Page 21 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 803

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 21

  1. #201
    dannyroddy's Avatar
    dannyroddy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    93
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    So, if I understand this right, to lose weight we should be eating very low fat and high sucrose, consuming fruit/juice every few hours? I'm all for raising metabolism, but this really sounds like a recipe for disaster, at least for me. I used to have to snack on something every few hours, and now that my blood sugar is much more stable, I can easily go most or all day without food if I want to - I can't imagine going back to consuming sugar all day long, because I did that (granted I was eating PUFAs and other bad stuff) and I MUCH prefer to not be a slave to constant doses of sugar.
    Increasing the metabolic rate will increase the ability to store glycogen and use sugar.

    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    What is the typical reaction of someone who is following this prescription and is unable to constantly snack/drink (say, when travelling) on some days...I'd imagine getting a low blood sugar headache or getting really irritable (how I used to get if I didn't eat every few hours).
    Low thyroid/high estrogen can hypoglycemia and low liver glycogen.

    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Also, Ray is pretty clear on the health benefits of saturated fat...but I'm having trouble seeing how to both incorporate plenty of saturated fat in the diet, while keeping fat low simultaneously to prevent fat storae in the presence of all that fructose. I read the links provided, but I couldn't really find anything that specifically addressed this - it just said to eat low fat dairy.
    I would recommend consuming fat, protein, and sugar together.

  2. #202
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NY / Italy
    Posts
    1,210
    Also, I read the aspirin link, but it didn't address my question...in one paragraph, it said:

    Although the animal studies that showed stomach damage from aspirin often used single doses equivalent to 10 or 100 aspirin tablets, the slight irritation produced by a normal dose of aspirin can be minimized by dissolving the aspirin in water. The stomach develops a tolerance for aspirin over a period of a few days, allowing the dose to be increased if necessary. And both aspirin and salicylic acid can be absorbed through the skin, so rheumatic problems have been treated by adding the drug to bath water.

    My husband's father developed some pretty severe stomach problems from years of taking aspirin daily. The ill-effects i'm familiar with come from n=1 stories by people who've been taking aspirin for years, not from rat studies that involve 100x/daily dose. I could accept that their stomach problems are unrelated to aspirin, but it has been shown to decrease stomach mucosa, which over time leads to ulcers. I don't see how this is something a person would adapt to in a few days, but if there is research out there proving it, I'd love to read it.

  3. #203
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NY / Italy
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    Increasing the metabolic rate will increase the ability to store glycogen and use sugar.

    Low thyroid/high estrogen can hypoglycemia and low liver glycogen.

    I would recommend consuming fat, protein, and sugar together.
    Wouldn't consuming fat, protein, and sugar together lead to the automatic storage of the dietary fat as adipose?

    So, theoretically, someone who is consuming sugar every few hours would be okay if they had a day where they weren't able to eat for a long stretch of time (like 8+ hours) as long as thyroid is functioning correctly and estrogen is low?

  4. #204
    dannyroddy's Avatar
    dannyroddy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I could accept that their stomach problems are unrelated to aspirin, but it has been shown to decrease stomach mucosa, which over time leads to ulcers. I don't see how this is something a person would adapt to in a few days, but if there is research out there proving it, I'd love to read it.
    Was your husband's father consuming vitamin K with it?

    I've been sent emails from about 4 or 5 people who take 4 grams a day for HIV with no issues.

    Peat knows someone who takes 10 grams.

    Vitamin K, however, is extremely important to take with it.

  5. #205
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NY / Italy
    Posts
    1,210
    Ray is a proponent of pregnenolone...I'm planning to get a few books that discuss pregnenolone in more depth so I can understand it better. I have pregnenolone, and have taken it for a few weeks in the past, but stopped when I got worried that I was taking too high a dosage (100mg/day).

    Ray mentions taking a 300mg dose once per week. Do you know anything about the dosage of this hormone, and whether dosage should depend on age, whether a person is male/female, current state of health (ex: someone with MS or arthritis vs. someone who is relatively healthy) and if it's something that requires contant blood test monitoring to check what actual levels are?

  6. #206
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NY / Italy
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    Was your husband's father consuming vitamin K with it?

    I've been sent emails from about 4 or 5 people who take 4 grams a day for HIV with no issues.

    Peat knows someone who takes 10 grams.

    Vitamin K, however, is extremely important to take with it.
    I'd bet anything he was not taking vitamin K, since he is generally pretty resistent to taking supplements in general. But it seems that relatively high levels of vitamin K are easy to come by in food, wouldn't this be enough? if not, how much vitamin K is necessary?

  7. #207
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,656
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    Increasing the metabolic rate will increase the ability to store glycogen and use sugar.


    Low thyroid/high estrogen can hypoglycemia and low liver glycogen.
    These responses are confusing...

    As I've read in other answers in this thread that the increased sugar consumption is supposed to increase thyroid function and clear out estrogen... And increase the ability to store glycogen...

    However, when I was consuming sugary foods regularly, prior to anything anyone would ever describe as "low carb", I had rather frequent problems with mild to moderate hypoglycemic events. Despite all testing the doctors never found any reason... no pre-diabetes or that type thing.

    It has been moving away from large inputs of sugar that have ceased this issue. I still eat a good number of carbs in my opinion, including fruits when I feel like it... but the more moderate diet that does not include large regular surges of sugar prevents the crashes. Before there were times that I literally felt like I was going to pass out, and was visibly shaking, if I didn't put some food into my mouth despite being over weight... that is certainly not healthy.
    Now I don't have to live my life around scheduled "inputs" such as meal times and snack times...

    I'm sure you can understand how this sort of entrapped feeling, and the hypo crashes themselves, are stressful as well... and not an ideal living situation.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  8. #208
    dannyroddy's Avatar
    dannyroddy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Ray is a proponent of pregnenolone...I'm planning to get a few books that discuss pregnenolone in more depth so I can understand it better. I have pregnenolone, and have taken it for a few weeks in the past, but stopped when I got worried that I was taking too high a dosage (100mg/day).

    Ray mentions taking a 300mg dose once per week. Do you know anything about the dosage of this hormone, and whether dosage should depend on age, whether a person is male/female, current state of health (ex: someone with MS or arthritis vs. someone who is relatively healthy) and if it's something that requires contant blood test monitoring to check what actual levels are?
    When I've taken very large doses (1,000mg+), I noticed it made me very sharp and I was able to get a lot of work done. When I remember, I take a smaller amount per day, but thyroid, vitamin A, and sugar will do the same thing.

    I think preg affects everyone differently. If you wanted to experiment with it, find a brand with few fillers, and take a small amount with food.

    Taking pregnenolone increases its own production, so I wouldn't worry about overdoing it, unless you didn't like how it felt.

  9. #209
    dannyroddy's Avatar
    dannyroddy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I'd bet anything he was not taking vitamin K, since he is generally pretty resistent to taking supplements in general. But it seems that relatively high levels of vitamin K are easy to come by in food, wouldn't this be enough? if not, how much vitamin K is necessary?
    Not unless he was eating well cooked kale and liver on a daily basis.

    I don't think anyone knows the exact amount, but those who take a couple grams per day take ~5mg of vitamin K.
    Last edited by dannyroddy; 07-08-2012 at 02:33 PM.

  10. #210
    Hawkward's Avatar
    Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kansas City area
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    I'm replying mostly from my phone, so I apologize if I've missed any questions; it's not on purpose.

    If I had a considerable amount of weight to lose (I was 170 lb. on zero carb), I'm about (150 lb. now; consuming about 400+ grams of sugar a day) I would focus on restoring the metabolic rate (pulse, body temperature, mood, libido) by consuming enough sugar and protein (80-100+ grams) while tapering the amount of fat I consumed (refined coconut oil would probably be the best weight loss fat).

    ...
    Just curious - why refined coconut oil as opposed to virgin?

Page 21 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •