Page 20 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 20

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrizzle88 View Post
    I don't think we had central heat a million years ago either, must not be "ideal" then.

To think of ruminant meat as "not ideal" because we didn't consume them millions of years ago (which is just a wild speculation too) is faulty thinking.
    Muscle meats are nutrient-dense, excellent sources of protein, but contain a high phosphate to calcium ratio.

A high phosphate to calcium ratio can increase parathyroid hormone, a hormone involved in bone loss, stress, and inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    I'm replying mostly from my phone, so I apologize if I've missed any questions; it's not on purpose.

If I had a considerable amount of weight to lose (I was 170 lb. on zero carb), I'm about (150 lb. now; consuming about 400+ grams of sugar a day) I would focus on restoring the metabolic rate (pulse, body temperature, mood, libido) by consuming enough sugar and protein (80-100+ grams) while tapering the amount of fat I consumed (refined coconut oil would probably be the best weight loss fat).

Calcium is an important factor in weight loss. Obtaining a fairly large amount of calcium (5-7 grams a day and the cofactors) can decrease inflammation, stress, and increase the metabolic rate.
    Hi Danny, when you mention the amount of sugar and protein, are the numbers in reference to both sugar and protein combined? Or 80-100 grams for EACH?

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by They call me BUTTLOCK View Post
    Hi Danny, when you mention the amount of sugar and protein, are the numbers in reference to both sugar and protein combined? Or 80-100 grams for EACH?
    80-100 grams of protein

Unspecified amount of carbohydrate, because you can use simple self-diagnostics to figure it out (pulse, body temperature). If pulse is very low (60s, low 70s), more carbohydrate (and salt/calcium) is probably warranted.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    I find this thread very interesting! In the beginning of my own journey I was adament that all sweets except stevia were the devil!! And I did buy into eliminating all fruit for awhile. Eventually through my own n=1 and various incidents I added back in all fruit, and raw honey and sometimes other sugars. I do not eat 'sugary' store bought items ever because I can't do processed foods well. But I make desserts, and sorbets and juices and fruitsicles and other sweet things. Funny thing is that once I added back in carrots, sweet potatoes and desserts with fruits I lost my excess weight and regained my energy and my mood stabilized. I never thought it was because I added back the fructose but there is a connection,and I also added more salt. Very interesting and thanks for all of the links also. I love having new ideas to research

Chelw is offline Junior Member
    Danny said earlier:
    "Cortisol is required to breakdown structure (muscles, thymus) for amino acids to convert into glucose when it's deficient. Damage can probably be minimized by consuming lots of protein, but a "higher functioning" of cortisol overtime can weaken the thymus ("immunity central"), suppress the thyroid, lower sex-drive, cause the intestine to become permeable (food allergies, poor digestion), and cause depression."

After being extremely low-carb for almost 2 years I began to experience all of the negative side effects, especially hormonal issues. I was experiencing extreme PMS and fibrocystic breasts. Both of these can be attributed to high estrogen.

I was also noticing more food related sensitivities and hypothyroid symptoms (exhaustion, freezing cold hands and feet ect.) I'm a big fan of primal and I have a lot of respect for Mark, but I also highly respect those who aren't afraid to question the process when things seem to be going wrong. I think that if low-carb primal/paleo is working for you and you do not notice ill effects, then fine. But if things start to go wrong down the line it is important to have some different ideas to consider.

I tried the throwing primal to the wind and eating ice cream and pizza to raise my metabolism for a little bit 180degreehealth style. I felt pretty good (other than initial issues with low blood sugar from the sudden reintroduction of carbs) but I have gained 15 lbs and it is all fat.

I've gone back to low carb but started adding back in sweet potatoes every day and I've found I'm feeling better. Seeing better estrogen clearance also. The extra weight I've gained hasn't budged though. My biggest problem right now, I can't seem to eat any vegetables (not even lettuce) or fruit without them tearing up my stomach. Sweet potatoes is all I can handle. Fructose malabsorption? This leaves me with only meat, fat and sweet potatoes. I am for sure banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what to do from here. I initially lost over 40 lbs since going primal and I promised myself I'd never let myself gain it all back.

Oh, and I know that primal is not limited to "low carb". That's just how I did it because I'm an all or nothing kind of person and it was easier for me. Also, not being able to eat many fruits or vegetables limited my carb options.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I am enjoying this thread, but wish everyone would clarify what they mean by low carb. I know it's been asked and answered once, but I wonder if everyone means the same. Several more recent people here posted about going low carb and feeling better once they upped their carb ante. It's all so vague for me. I'm assuming they were all below 50 g a day and upped to 100-150 g. I just wished I knew for sure...

Same for other threads...

Good point, sorry about that. In the beginning I was easily under 20 grams every day for a long time. Now, I am keeping around maybe 50 grams a day with the sweet potatoes. Still pretty low carb as the primal definition goes, but that's because I'm struggling to find healthy sources I can tolerate.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    So, if I understand this right, to lose weight we should be eating very low fat and high sucrose, consuming fruit/juice every few hours? I'm all for raising metabolism, but this really sounds like a recipe for disaster, at least for me. I used to have to snack on something every few hours, and now that my blood sugar is much more stable, I can easily go most or all day without food if I want to - I can't imagine going back to consuming sugar all day long, because I did that (granted I was eating PUFAs and other bad stuff) and I MUCH prefer to not be a slave to constant doses of sugar.

What is the typical reaction of someone who is following this prescription and is unable to constantly snack/drink (say, when travelling) on some days...I'd imagine getting a low blood sugar headache or getting really irritable (how I used to get if I didn't eat every few hours).

Also, Ray is pretty clear on the health benefits of saturated fat...but I'm having trouble seeing how to both incorporate plenty of saturated fat in the diet, while keeping fat low simultaneously to prevent fat storae in the presence of all that fructose. I read the links provided, but I couldn't really find anything that specifically addressed this - it just said to eat low fat dairy.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 07-08-2012 at 02:29 PM.

cfrizzle88 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    Muscle meats are nutrient-dense, excellent sources of protein, but contain a high phosphate to calcium ratio.

A high phosphate to calcium ratio can increase parathyroid hormone, a hormone involved in bone loss, stress, and inflammation.
    Danny, I was more referencing a ruminant's fatty acid profile and general nutrition (including nutrients derived from bone broths, gelatin from ox tail, liver, etc... in general compared to chicken or nuts, not necessarily the muscle meats only)

Page 20 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast