Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Awkward...!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I'm not a Peatite...Peataphile...Peatatarian (I think that last one is right) and I don't/haven't read your blog Danny but I think its good to show up and defend whatever it is your promoting as healthy. I've read some of Peat's writings and in general it reads like Kruse on sugar. Sorry, couldn't resist. Peat does actually show his work a bit better (citations). I did however, read the PHD debate you guys had and found it all quite interesting.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    I will literally answer any question anyone has about the info on my unreadable blog.
    Just wanted to say welcome and glad to have you here.

Luce is offline Senior Member
    Sugar ups my testosterone, that making sense as long as I have a not tragic pcos situation here. It gets me into pimples, my already non existent bust manages to shrink further and I wake up with somehow stronger bigger muscles but while hair falls from my head and attaches to my body -the thing is not attractive in a girl, at all.

I'll stay sugar free and eat some more vegetables, maybe I'll get to 100 gr a day as long as summer is here and fruit looks great and tastes even better -as long as I get all the sugar loaded tiramisł cream I ate in Rome out of my system
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    - A sugar based metabolism decreases the release of fat from tissue (adrenaline and several other hormones release fat as a predominant fuel when we're stressed). Breakdown products from these fats (prostaglandins) activate aromatase (creates new estrogen)
    Is a person who loses 100 pounds over the course of a year through eating a low carb paleo diet, then, in worse shape hormonally than someone who loses the same amount over a longer period of time while keeping carbs up? Will the former experience any particular problems further down the road? Could this account for a whole lot of paleo/primal folks irrevocably plateauing with 10-20 pounds left to lose?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Is a person who loses 100 pounds over the course of a year through eating a low carb paleo diet, then, in worse shape hormonally than someone who loses the same amount over a longer period of time while keeping carbs up? Will the former experience any particular problems further down the road? Could this account for a whole lot of paleo/primal folks irrevocably plateauing with 10-20 pounds left to lose?
    I know that Danny is gonna answer, but may I also? Since I have eaten lower carb for years and still don't have a Sisson physique just let me say that plateauing at 12-15% body fat as a male isn't a death sentence. Most of the time it seems the ones complaining are those attempting to achieve, dare I say, unnatural leanness. Hey just a thought. I eat in the 50-100 range though and don't bother counting anything. Take it as you will....the 100lbs loss part I cant say from experience, but from my readings NO.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Took a look and Roddy seems to be another one advocating high carbs for folk with diabetes/metabolic issues. Perhaps he will explain his position here but seems pretty irresponsible and ignorant of the facts.

bopfer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    Perhaps he will explain his position here but seems pretty irresponsible and ignorant of the facts.
    The "facts" are where things get murky. Paleo vs Primal vs Raw Vegan vs Peatatarian vs the rest is all a battle of my science is better than yours. Ultimately, you have to figure out what makes sense and works for you.

Personally, low-carb Paleo/Primal was great at first. But, after a couple years, destroyed my metabolism and caused some thyroid issues. Peat's ideas have helped me recover from that over the last 8 months, but I still have a ways to go and who knows if it is what will get me all the way there. Maybe, I will never get there. But, I am definitely better off now then on low-carb.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    But, I am definitely better off now then on low-carb.
    Primal is low carb?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by bopfer View Post
    aleo/Primal was great at first. But, after a couple years, destroyed my metabolism and caused some thyroid issues....
    Ok...this is were things get hairy. If you are restricting CALORIES (not carbs specifically) yes things go hypo, but that is a normal and in times of famine a desirable result. As to the conversion of thyroid hormone in the liver and its dependence on liver glycogen, we know the body utilizes this to regulate the amount of glucose in the blood stream at a given time.....what does it take to deplete this source? And once deplete what does it take to replenish it? Glucose works. Peat says fructose works better (better meaning quicker I suppose). I'm not gonna debate either since its already been debated on their blogs here....Ray Peat Diet | Perfect Health Diet Do read the comments to see the dissenting views.

Personally I'm low carb and loving it just 50-100...not the VLC variety. My 80/20 allows for enough treats on the weekend that may equate to "carb loads"....Plus I get the benefit of knowing my insulin resistance is good and since overabundance of fructose has been implicated in liver issue I'm not getting too much of it. Just my experience to this point...no hair loss, rock hard errr...., and I don't stress.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-03-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast