Page 15 of 81 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 15

ss14 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is a mint thread. Danny's contributions are interesting and Choco has been right on the money as well.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    It isn't that we cant wrap our heads around eating fructose in whole food form. You could make a case that the book Primal Blueprint would actually advocate a couple pieces of fruit or berries over that of starchy tubers or rice. The disconnect is the form that fructose takes and the quantities ingested. There is no appreciation in the Peat camp for what has produced health in traditional societies from what I have read. It is a theory based on biochemical breakdown and analysis, and is incomplete because of that IMO.

The "look at children" argument makes no sense. My kids have no additional sugars in their diet (I'm sure plenty of Primal parents do the same) and they have all the energy and vibrancy that you seem to attribute to needing such....in fact so do I. Eat more...doesn't matter if its fat or sugar and your metabolic rate goes up (fact).

As far as if your getting your carbohydrate from starch or fruit (if you feel you need it) its quite dependent upon what sort of microbes currently populate your gut as to which you prefer. Seems if your suffering any form of liver dysfunction including metabolic syndrome that you should tread lightly with fructose even in fruit form.

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    My question is, if this is all true, HOW DO YOU LOSE BODY FAT ON RAY PEAT'S DIET? It seems like the diet is engineered to keep you from using your stored fat as fuel. That's all well and good if you're highly active and very lean, but the overwhelming majority of us aren't. If I wanted to adopt a Ray Peat-style diet, how can I safely burn stored fat as fuel?
    I'm replying mostly from my phone, so I apologize if I've missed any questions; it's not on purpose.

If I had a considerable amount of weight to lose (I was 170 lb. on zero carb), I'm about (150 lb. now; consuming about 400+ grams of sugar a day) I would focus on restoring the metabolic rate (pulse, body temperature, mood, libido) by consuming enough sugar and protein (80-100+ grams) while tapering the amount of fat I consumed (refined coconut oil would probably be the best weight loss fat).

Calcium is an important factor in weight loss. Obtaining a fairly large amount of calcium (5-7 grams a day and the cofactors) can decrease inflammation, stress, and increase the metabolic rate.

A test to assess your calcium status is called PTH.

Remember, going on a low-carb diet is NOT the only way to lose fat. The muscles continually use fat at rest.

Cliff McCrary wrote a great article on weight loss: Co2 Factor: Practical ways to lose fat

Quote Originally Posted by sandokan2112 View Post
    Danny, are you recommending that the bulk of the carbs come from fruit sugar?
    Yes.

My question is, do we need to consume a copius amount of fruit esp. fruit juices to replenish our livers glycogen stores? My understanding is that the carbs from potatoes or white rice would have the same effect, but without comprimising the liver.
    Fructose does not compromise the liver, in fact, it does just the opposite.

The role of glycogen is extremely important in resisting stress and supporting the metabolic rate. Fructose, better than any other sugar, promotes the storage of glycogen.

It is my understanding that consuming TOO much fructose in the diet esp. in concentrated fruit juice form, and to some extent from TOO much fruit in general, places too much stress on the liver e.g. fatty liver, high triglyceride levels.
    Before fructose in converted into triglycerides, it refills glycogen stores. As my buddy Cliff McCrary has pointed out, it takes a hell of a lot of sugar before carbohydrates become fat via de novo lipogenesis.

You can check out his blog here: http://co2factor.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by dannyroddy; 07-07-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I ate low carb 15 years, developed a lot of health problems on it. Have been experimenting with higher carb including some orange juice, honey and even Coke the last month; this is probably the best I've felt in years. Sorry, low carb Primal sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I ate low carb 15 years, developed a lot of health problems on it. Have been experimenting with higher carb including some orange juice, honey and even Coke the last month; this is probably the best I've felt in years. Sorry, low carb Primal sucks.
    As does any advice you have EVER given, so excuse me if I don't hold your opinion in high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    The "look at children" argument makes no sense. My kids have no additional sugars in their diet (I'm sure plenty of Primal parents do the same) and they have all the energy and vibrancy that you seem to attribute to needing such....in fact so do I.
    I'm saying that young children are resilient—despite of their diet—due to their very high metabolic rates.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Heheheheh.
    Get out of this thread. Obviously you're here only for a fight, at this point, but you're not being very entertaining about it. That's the least you could do.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycakes View Post
    Get out of this thread. Obviously you're here only for a fight, at this point, but you're not being very entertaining about it. That's the least you could do.
    Grumpycakes is being grumpy...
    Shocking.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    I'm saying that young children are resilient—despite of their diet—due to their very high metabolic rates.
    Ah, despite their diet. So if a child never overindulged in PUFA and ate plenty of sugar growing up we would maintain this metabolic rate throughout life? The reduced metabolism as we age is not just a normal physiological response, but something that the happened environmentally and to our detriment?

If you say that this is so is there any society that has lived this way that we could examine to determine if it has or has not occurred and been healthy for humans?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-07-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Ah, despite their diet. So if a child never overindulged in PUFA and ate plenty of sugar growing up we would maintain this metabolic rate throughout life? The reduced metabolism as we age is not just a normal physiological response, but something that the happened environmentally and to our detriment?
    Yes, but many factors contribute to the decline of the metabolic rate besides food.

Page 15 of 81 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast