Page 13 of 80 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Danny Roddy recommend sugar to reduce stress/estrogen? page 13

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

Have you ever tried putting your dad on a diet of beef, watermelon, cantaloupe and oranges for a few weeks? Ray Peat doesn't recommend starch due to the way it instantizes in the body. He recommends fruit sugar, which has a much lower GI response. There's a difference. I doubt you've tried the meat and fruit diet and only the ketogenic diet.
    I am slowly finding that this is the diet I actually feel best on. Meat with added fat and fruit.

Absence of data is not proof, it's ignorance.
    I would add to that the quote from Steven Hawking "“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” This is a crime we are frequently guilty of around here.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

otzi Guest
    The context is that you're acting like an emotional wreck. Context, context, context. Kind of like the context of sugar.

Have you ever tried putting your dad on a diet of beef, watermelon, cantaloupe and oranges for a few weeks? Ray Peat doesn't recommend starch due to the way it instantizes in the body. He recommends fruit sugar, which has a much lower GI response. There's a difference. I doubt you've tried the meat and fruit diet and only the ketogenic diet. Absence of data is not proof, it's ignorance.
    Oh, grow up... You are too young to understand this anyway. Just kidding, thanks for getting this discussion back on track, I found it very interesting, as I did reading Danny's blog (The Danny Roddy Weblog - Nutrition For Sex, Hair & Health).

Back when I was a big, fat trainwreck and decided that low-fat, whole grains wasn't working, I ate nothing but fruit, cheese, and sausage for a couple weeks and the pounds started melting off. That lead me to paleo and MDA and the rest is history. We can't get trapped in our own dogma just for dogma's sake--there are other ways to getting healthy.

Paleobird Guest
    The context is that you're acting like an emotional wreck. Context, context, context. Kind of like the context of sugar.

Have you ever tried putting your dad on a diet of beef, watermelon, cantaloupe and oranges for a few weeks? Ray Peat doesn't recommend starch due to the way it instantizes in the body. He recommends fruit sugar, which has a much lower GI response. There's a difference. I doubt you've tried the meat and fruit diet and only the ketogenic diet. Absence of data is not proof, it's ignorance.
    Right. Just because I have an opinion different from yours, I must be an emotional wreck. WTF? You owe me an apology m'dear. That was just flat out rude.

You don't know what my Dad eats. It is not ketogenic and it does include tubers and fruits, quite a lot of fruit, just not chugging down straight fruit juice and table sugar. That's not at all extreme.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-06-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I started losing hair on low carb and tried various supplements to fix it. The reason I just didn't increase carbs was because Eades assured me it was only tellegon effluvium and it would stop and grow back very shortly. I kept using useless supplements all these low carbers were recommending until I came across the revolutionary idea of increasing my carb intake. I can still eat relatively low carb, providing I have a high carb day every 2 or 3 days all is fine. I remembered hearing dannys podcast on the LLVLC carb and was really surprised he didn't even mention that low carb can be a problem. I thought "wow this guy seems a bit off base". I suppose it would of been a pretty awkward going on a low-carb podcast and telling people low-carb could be the reason they're losing hair. lol
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 07-06-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You have to decide what you believe. Is a ramped up metabolism worth a damn? I don't think so. I see no reason to raise my temperature or my heart rate. Actually quite to the contrary. Seems to me there is evidence that lowering these things are part of longevity, and most athletes have quite low heart rates. Not that I would work for that extreme either. Eat some fruit if you like, but don't convince yourself that what was it?...."a cup of sugar, a throw back soda, orange juice, and gummy bears" all in a day in the name of "increasing thyroid" is actually healthy. PUFA is bad? Meh, maybe at extremes but not at levels you would find eating Primal/Paleo. Seems to me that three things pop up in epidemiological studies fairly consistently in congruence with bad health....sugar, wheat, and bad fats (vegetable/soy oils).

The other part I disagree with is supposing that low carb is somehow a "stressor". Just because certain hormones have earned the name "stress hormone" does not mean that their presence in every situation is a stress. Sometimes it is just how things work. As to the stress of low carb....well this is an oldie but goodie Why do people consider ketosis "stressful" to the body? - PaleoHacks.com

dannyroddy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    You have to decide what you believe. Is a ramped up metabolism worth a damn? I don't think so. I see no reason to raise my temperature or my heart rate. Actually quite to the contrary. Seems to me there is evidence that lowering these things are part of longevity, and most athletes have quite low heart rates. Not that I would work for that extreme either.
    @Neckhammer,

Consider the metabolism of a healthy young child; energy for days, high pulse, beaming with heat, vascular and pink.

Their regenerative abilities are the defining feature of youth.

Do you honestly believe that slowing down this youthful metabolism is a good thing?

How many healthy athletes do you know with low pulse rates? I don't know any.

Ask the women if they menstruate. Ask the men to remember the last time they've had a spontaneous erection.
    Last edited by dannyroddy; 07-06-2012 at 07:09 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyroddy View Post
    @Neckhammer,

Consider the metabolism of a healthy young child; energy for days, high pulse, beaming with heat, vascular and pink.

Their regenerative abilities are the defining feature of youth.

Do you honestly believe that slowing down this youthful metabolism is a good thing?

How many healthy athletes do you know with low pulse rates? I don't know any.

Ask the women if they menstruate. Ask the men to remember the last time they've had a spontaneous erection.
    Most of the healthy athletes that I know have a very low pulse rate. The sicker I am the higher my heart rate goes.

Theoretically one could argue that all that metabolic activity is what makes those vibrant children grow old and less vibrant
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm gonna go ahead and guess there are a lot of primal families who limit their childrens sugar consumption, but have the very same healthy attributes you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    The sicker I am the higher my heart rate goes.
    I addressed this a few posts back. Search for adrenaline.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Theoretically one could argue that all that metabolic activity is what makes those vibrant children grow old and less vibrant
    No one would make this argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and guess there are a lot of primal families who limit their childrens sugar consumption, but have the very same healthy attributes you describe.
    You're addressing an argument I never made.

A healthy child with a very high metabolic rate can get away with a very large amount of anti-thyroid foods, even a substantial amount of PUFA.

Damage to the mitochondria and the slowing of the metabolic rate is a life long process as saturated fats in the cell are displaced with unsaturated fats.

Page 13 of 80 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast